Baton Rouge Developbits

dan326

"New downtown restaurant to open next month

New York Bagel has closed its downtown location, but a new restaurant will open in the Third Street building next month. Miller's, a Cajun-Creole eatery, is set to open in mid-December, says Jeff Pettit, one of the owners. There's no shortage of places downtown that serve Cajun-Creole food, but Pettit says his restaurant will have an advantage because of Chef Monica Harris, who was one of the top graduates of the John Folse Culinary Institute at Nicholls State and also interned at the Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris. Miller's will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner on weekdays, but Pettit says they're still deciding what to do on the weekends. The restaurant will also offer an eclectic mix of activities, Chris Culotta, who runs the popular Star 80 night at Spanish Moon, is working with Miller's about holding parties and events at the restaurant, and a weekend jazz brunch is a possibility. "There's gonna be a mix of things," Pettit says. "

These are the builders who developed SpringBrook,The Lakes at Stone Gate, and Jefferson Retreat.

Edited by dan326

I noticed a sign announcing Commercial Properties building a new commercial strip center on Florida at the Little Theatre access. I think this was once signed Holmes Dr from back in the old Bon Marche era.

Another very large area is being prepped for some development (retail? mult-family?) at Greenwell Springs and N Sherwood behind RiteAid over to the Library. No sign up on this yet though.

Speaking of signs, there are acouple of construction signs with renderings of the new Court House. Nice!!.

City Plaza II should consider doing the same. Besides all the construction jambo they help in creating public interest.

Edited by fla_tiger

I noticed a sign announcing Commercial Properties building a new commercial strip center on Florida at the Little Theatre access. I think this was once signed Holmes Dr from back in the old Bon Marche era.

Another very large area is being prepped for some development (retail? mult-family?) at Greenwell Springs and N Sherwood behind RiteAid over to the Library. No sign up on this yet though.

Speaking of signs, there are acouple of construction signs with renderings of the new Court House. Nice!!.

City Plaza II should consider doing the same. Besides all the construction jambo they help in creating public interest.

your Right Fla Tiger...i was passing by the courthouse site and i noticed people actually walk up to the sign look at the picture and read the sign for a sec......so thats real good for public intrest.....

and yea dan....i cant wait for dat cajun joint to open....

:w00t:

"Hollingsworth Mazda moves to new location

Hollingsworth Mazda has moved down Florida Boulevard and now shares the same site as Hollingsworth Richards Ford. Mark Hollingsworth says the move, which took place Monday, had been planned for two years. By putting the Ford and Mazda dealerships under the same roof, Hollingsworth says the management teams can be concentrated in one location, which greatly improves the customer-service experience. "Some shuffling has been going on at the Ford location, but it's temporary," he says. Construction is set to start soon on a 7,000-square-foot Mazda showroom, which will be to the west of the Ford showroom. Hollingsworth says the new showroom will open by the end of 2008. "It's going to be all 21st century," he says. The old Hollingsworth Mazda has been turned into a used car lot. The shuffling allows Hollingsworth Richards Mazda and Hollingsworth Used Cars to carry more previously owned vehicles."

"Greenwell Springs apartment complex planned

A Louisville, Ky.-based company hopes to start construction early next year on Mallard Crossing, a 188-unit apartment complex on Greenwell Springs Road. The complex would be located between North Sherwood Forest Drive and Monticello Boulevard. Half of the units in the gated development will have two bedrooms; the rest will have three. LDG Development, which would own Mallard Crossings, has built complexes in Louisville, Indianapolis and Austin, Texas. The company is also developing an apartment development in New Orleans, Villas at Lake Forest. Mallard Crossing is scheduled to go before the city-parish Planning Commission for approval next month after asking for a deferral from tonight's meeting. --Timothy Boone"

Yes it does look better in color. I like the sub-underground parking still partially visible under the first floor. Hopefully they add a little grocery store for some true urban living.

I think the best location for any Brownstones are the fringes of Spanish Town or Beauregard Town. Not in the middle of the CBD. But it will be near the Main Street Market and just blocks from Third Street.

Thanks for the heads up fla tiger.

Edited by richyb83

The Cantebury Apts. are easily visible driving the I-12 overpass at Sherwood Forest Blvd. The area looks more and more built up!

Only a few blocks apart, The Brownstones and the Kress bldg. are nice residential projects that are vital to downtown's revitalization!

Little Fiero Street is one of the coolest little streets in BR IMO; It connects East Lakeshore Drive to Christain Street near the unique Perkins Road overpass district. Closer to the University Lake Fiero Street is tightly wedged between some courtyard style houses. Some new townhomes also run next to I-10. This condo project will be on the opposite end of the street near the Perkins Road overpass district. I like the mix-of residential.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/11679211.html

Despite overwhelming opposition from neighboring residents, the Metro Council on Tuesday voted 8-1 in favor of a controversial rezoning to allow the construction of 16 townhouses on 1.2 acres near the Perkins Road Overpass. One of the attractions of the neighborhood is its proximity to restaurants, a grocery store and other businesses. He predicted that the future residents of his townhouses will likely walk to those businesses, easing the impact on traffic.

Edited by richyb83

Yep I pass by Cantebury Apts to go to and from my house for work, they are really coming along quite nicely with that. I'm am so glad they are building something on that piece of property. It stayed stagnant for so long. I'm very curious as to what they are clearing that piece of property for on N. Harrells Ferry. I really wish they would connect N. Harrells Ferry to Millerville. Maybe once they put that new development on the corner of 12/Millerville.

We need many more brownstones towntown. I'd like to see two or three more that size over the next couple of years in that immediate area. Throw a few hundred people downtown every night and there will definately be a need for a pharmacy.

Maybe the next downtown brownstones can incorporate a walgreen's in a corner store or something.

As I was zipping down I-10 today I thought I saw some construction equipment in the parking lot in front of Esplenade Mall. Could this be something with the W hotel? On another subject, I wonder why that store in Esplenade mall fronting the Interstate has remained vacant all this time. With the exposure fron I-10 seems like something would succeed there.

Hmm, lets hope its something for the hotel. But arnt they going to demolish that empty wing of esplande to build the W hotel? But as for why it has remained empty for so long, who knows. That wing fronts the interstate but you cant see it from college or corporate. I also find it interesting that the rest of esplande's exteroior has been updated, while that specific wing hasnt, i guess the property owner had a hard time renting the space? A W hotel is better anyway, lol

That location for W aLoft would be ideal for Esplanade between the Fox-n Hound, Sullivan's Ringside, Melting Pot; Clicks billiards, Hooters, etc. I think the issue was a lack of parking; I said break away from the prototype and build a more vertical sleeker version to accomodate all the parking that will be needed.

I'll keep my eyes open :shades:

The 3-story apts./condo's are going up all over the city! Density sure is in demand!

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody drive by "The Grove" site recently? There is a huge allegence of construction equipment lined up fronting the interstate. Construction must have begun. Yay!!! :D Get ready for some super spiffy 5 and 6 stoy condos! :w00t:

thegrovegv7.jpg

Edited by dan326

Has anybody drive by "The Grove" site recently? There is a huge allegence of construction equipment lined up froting the interstate. Construction must have begun. Yay!!! :D Get ready for some super spiffy 5 and 6 stoy condos! :w00t:

thegrovegv7.jpg

I can't wait for this development to really get going. It is going to really fill in that area. Now if we can get something like this going between Bluebonnet and Essen it would actually seem like you are driving in a city. If you are going East on 10 you don't see any of the development on the right due to the fact of all the over-grown brush. I really wish they would clean it up like it is by the Budweiser building.

I can't believe how large this project will be. Interesting road configuration with the wide boulevards and round-about. And between two creeks. Neat set-up how they have the entrance/exit lanes to the I-10 frontage road. Looks like they wiped out every tree. I still wish it would connect to Willow Grove's TND. Will some of those 5 or 6 story buildings also contain office space??

I need to post an aerial to see how close the back of Willow Grove will be to the south side of the The Grove.

^Alot of that underbrush on that right-side going east is the edge of Ward's Creek greenbelt.

I wish there was a similar type development to this near(just south) the I-10 Miss. River Bridge around Nicholson/ the edges of downtown.

Edited by richyb83

The Broadmoor Theater should start renovation anyday now, I would think. It says on the front of the billboard "a Wooley Entertainment production" and the back "Club Celebritys coming soon".

What are they doing with Broadmoor?

Is it still going to be a theater?

BR's third "downtown" :D. We get something like this somewhere around Florida Boulevard. :)

1001446villageaerialrendering-final.jpg

"This exciting town square and village is located in The Settlement at Willow Grove, all part of Baton Rouge's first Traditional Neighborhood Development, carved from the historic Kleinpeter farm on Perkins road. the Village will offer quaint retail shopping and special places to meet family and friends for early morning coffee or late afternoon cocktails. Take a leisurely stroll to the farmer's market or hear a concert in the open air of The Village square."

1001446villagerendering-final.jpg

• Approximately 80 Condos Surrounding Center Plaza
  • Range in Size from 900 - 1900 Sq Ft with 10 Ft Ceilings
  • All Units Have Balconies
  • Assigned Parking with Optional Covered Parking & Private Garages
  • Available for Lease/Purchase December 2008

Edited by dan326