Baton Rouge Developbits

dan326

Big improvement in NBR....The old 95-unit Hospital Plaza near EKL will be torn down later this year and replaced with 42 townhomes in more of an neighborhood arrangement.The new development will Willow Creek and include playgrounds, walking paths and much better amenties than the old Apt-style of Hospital Plaza.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Housing-units-set-for-razing-rebuilding.html

This federally funded project is not without controversy looking at the comments below the article...nice renderings in Monday paper..but not included on website article...it looks nice.

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not saying we shouldn't hire anymore police at all, I just think a more holistic approach to social issues would work better than a one answer solution.

maybe the world would be a little bit better if the criminals had fathers and didn't have to look up to rap thugs as role models.

In the meantime---I'll take more cops on the streets.

so more cops on the streets responding to higher crime rates = police state?

wow

so when your car or house gets broken into, or if a loved one is robed or assaulted (or god forbid worse)...I'm assuming you won't be calling the police? Right?

I think you're reaching. More cops don't equal less crime.

You're right. It's not a deterent at all. Matter of fact, if half of the BR police were laid off tomorrow there wouldn't be any increase at all in crime in Baton Rouge whatsoever.

Police are only a deterrent of crime, for law abiding citizens. The people you are concerned with, have little disregard for the police or the law. In architecture, there is a saying, "Fences only keep out honest people." The reasoning behind that statement is, that fences and locks will keep out an honest person, or petty criminal, but for someone dead set on circumventing the law, or causing harm to someone, they will simply jump over the fence. Its simply a faux barrier, that provides zero safety, and it's there only for peace of mind.

Lets be honest, the people committing the most heinous of crimes in BR, would be doing so with more or less police presence. This is a social issue about the individual, poverty, community, and social status and is not related to a lack of law enforcement in our community. The solutions can be found within social issues, which will take a generation to enact, not increasing the police force. Thats my opinion anyway.

Hey, there are just 2 types of people in the world. People like me (and the majority of people) who want police on the streets protecting them and their families from the human garbage that has no remorse for human life because they grew up without a conscience.

The other type of people fear and in some cases resent them and believe that a hardened thug can be shown the light with a good ol hug. These types also like to use the phrase "police state" as if a city in the United States is somehow in someway comparable to the police states of Iran or North Korea or the former Soviet Union.

Myself, I prefer having cops on the street. Can "both" methods be right? Maybe. But I still want cops on the street.

I'm sorry Justme, but I think you might be oversimplifying, misinterpreting, or simply ignoring the alternative point view. Now as I said, that's not to say police are useless, but rather as Buckett said people will do exactly what they want to do and at some point one has to look for different more proactive than reactive ways of dealing with them.

Police are only a deterrent of crime, for law abiding citizens. [....] The solutions can be found within social issues, which will take a generation to enact, not increasing the police force. Thats my opinion anyway.

You elaborated my point perfectly!

Edited by dan326

Hey, there are just 2 types of people in the world. People like me (and the majority of people) who want police on the streets protecting them and their families from the human garbage that has no remorse for human life because they grew up without a conscience.

My point was, that the Police Force is simply there for peace of mind, they offer little tangible protection to you or your family. If someone wants you dead, they will find a way to do it. It's sad, but true.

Also, I don't believe "thugs" can be shown the light. However, I think their children can, and people need to be taught values and what not from the youngest age. It will take decades for these crime issues to be resolved by that method, but putting more police on the street won't stop crime. Your stance is in line with the idea of "White Flight," if i don't like whats going on, I'm going to go and create my own gated community, in the suburbs, to keep myself safe. History has shown that type of stance on crime and social issues has actually made the problem worse, not better.

Your stance is in line with the idea of "White Flight," if i don't like whats going on, I'm going to go and create my own gated community, in the suburbs, to keep myself safe. History has shown that type of stance on crime and social issues has actually made the problem worse, not better.

sooooooo people moving to the suburbs for safety have made cities worse? Funny. Cities have made cities worse.

I do. Desperate times call for desperate measures. More patrol police is just more taxes and jobs. Look at that BR swat team thing.

Education and social programs are part of the long term solution. The crime wave is happening now because Baton Rouge has been going in wrong direction for 20 years or more.

Short term solution is stronger public safety- including more cops, better equipment, better pay, etc. This isn't a small town anymore....we need a police department to handle the needs of this city.

Or you can just let it continue. I don't care anymore. I'm leaving this zoo forever in 5 weeks.