Baton Rouge Developbits

dan326

Opposing viewpoints are shut out on this board. You guys are pretty narrow minded for claiming to be such progressive thinkers. Some are just as bad as the bible thumpers and rednecks that you love to hate.

Baton Rouge can't get the basics right. Crime is out of control, drainage is a mess, traffic is terrible, and the schools are a complete joke.

This place is turning into a decaying mess because people in charge don't even understand why young taxpayers are leaving....and I suspect that some don't care. The very people that Baton Rouge needs to attract are flocking to the nightmare that is Livingston or Ascension. They'd rather live there than in Baton Rouge. That's how bad this town is today....and all the planning, architectural expertise, and quality of life improvements won't matter until crime and education are improved. People won't move to an iconic neighobrhood in the middle of a war zone.

Complain about sprawl or narrow minded suburbanites all you want...but Baton Rouge fails to address basic public demands.....and until they are met, people will continue leaving.

Baton Rouge Police facing shortage of officers...headlines

http://www.therepubl...Rouge-Officers/

http://www.shrevepor...fficer-shortage

http://www.dailyworl...EWS01/103210318

Edited by cajun

Opposing viewpoints are shut out on this board. You guys are pretty narrow minded for claiming to be such progressive thinkers. Some are just as bad as the bible thumpers and rednecks that you love to hate.

Baton Rouge can't get the basics right. Crime is out of control, drainage is a mess, traffic is terrible, and the schools are a complete joke.

This place is turning into a decaying mess because people in charge don't even understand why young taxpayers are leaving....and I suspect that some don't care. The very people that Baton Rouge needs to attract are flocking to the nightmare that is Livingston or Ascension. They'd rather live there than in Baton Rouge. That's how bad this town is today....and all the planning, architectural expertise, and quality of life improvements won't matter until crime and education are improved. People won't move to an iconic neighobrhood in the middle of a war zone.

Complain about sprawl or narrow minded suburbanites all you want...but Baton Rouge fails to address basic public demands.....and until they are met, people will continue leaving.

Baton Rouge Police facing shortage of officers...headlines

http://www.therepubl...Rouge-Officers/

http://www.shrevepor...fficer-shortage

http://www.dailyworl...EWS01/103210318

applause1234363884-1.gif

Good points Cajun...sorry your leaving; but I can understand why. Wish you & yours nothing but the best :thumbsup:

My wife teaches in Livingston...my kids will probably to go to school out there instead of where we live in EBR...It's a sad day. But still refuse to live in Livingston & Ascension..I live in BR despite it's flaws; but plenty of family/friends have moved out there over the years.

I Having worked with mostly inner city kids in EBR Public Schools nearly 15 years; I have seen plenty...I see some positive strides in some neighborhoods with law enforcement(Gardere & others)..but they can't be everywhere all the time; maybe they are spread too thin... the big picture isn't pretty... this is a deep issue; more than meet's the eye.

Smart Growth officials in Ascension are hypocrites..it's really messy down there... Agenda 21(please research it for yourselves) a Global Agenda has infiltrated local governments...that's another story..but it all ties in. For me it's not just about decaying of BR...but the decline of our country/society/entertainment etc... and the dropping value of the U.S. dollar with the shady Federal Reserve,,,but I try to stay away from conroversial subjects here on UP.

Richy, are you an Agenda 21 conspiracy theorist?

Did you really need to ask?

I don't have a school in mind but it's not as high ranking as it could be.

I'll look it up richy, best post I've read on UP.

Still waiting on why you don't think LSU is a great school. While you're at it, please list what you think are great schools.

I was just asking cajun a question. What makes you say I'm narrow minded? I agree with everything you've said.

I picked up on scarcasm when I stated that Baton Rouge has a pretty serious crime problem...but I wasn't directing my comments to you personally. Sorry if I came off as being offenseive. Many on this board like to be very positive about everything (and I understand that) and very critical about those who intentionallly leave town for better opportunity. I may sound crazy, but I pickup on hints of elitism and cultural bias from all over this city. Leaving Baton Rouge for Livingston or Zachary automatically means you are unsophisicated, racist, greedy, etc..... In reality, I sympathize with people who uproot themselves to make their lives better.

I really feel like a moral decline is underway in this region. My wife was robbed at gunpoint a while back in the parking lot of the hospital where she works. Just a few months later, we were hit by a drunk driver on Perkins Road. Shortly after buying a replacement car for my wife, it was vandalized in the parking garage where she works.

I feel like in order to provide a better product (in this case, a better city), Baton Rouge residents and leaders must discuss the problems and work to improve areas where the city falls short to not only it's peers, but to the suburbs. Political leaders don't seem to understand that while they may have a district - centered monopoly of power, true private capital is flexible, fluid, and will move to where the government is functional. A SWOT analysis would be an interesting discussion to have one day.

Good points Cajun...sorry your leaving; but I can understand why. Wish you & yours nothing but the best :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Economic opportunity was a big motivator for us....but we are maintly leaving because my wife is miserable, because I hate seeing the city that I love go downhill so fast, and because I'm fed up with the people here. Our daugher is young enough where she won't be leaving too many of her friends, so the timing is right.

We considered opportunties in DC, Atlanta, and Memphis. We settled on the Atlanta area.

I think LSU could be higher in the national colleges list. I don't have any huge ideas, though. I'm not keen enough on the list to give examples of schools, but of course I'm not talking about Harvard, Yale, Stanford, or Princeton like. Just a higher performing school.

Cajun: no sarcasm at all, I know all the flaws that we have and I think everyday how it needs to be fixed. Some years ago we moved to Prairieville after living on Gardere, Sherwood, and Coursey. I can't criticize you for leaving, I live in Houston!

I think LSU could be higher in the national colleges list. I don't have any huge ideas, though.

so you proudly state that LSU isn't a great school when you can't say why? Hysterical. If I made such a comment with zero substance I'd be called a troll (and have).

Some years ago we moved to Prairieville after living on Gardere, Sherwood, and Coursey. I can't criticize you for leaving, I live in Houston!

funny, a lot of your posts make me roll my eyes and wonder if you live in BR and now I know.

Edited by itsjustme2

Truth be told, the job I have in BR will be my last one in BR, before I take another job in BR my wife and I will move and leave the area.

We are tired of the backwards thinking, each parish for itself mentality. We are tired of a lot of the local companies being run by idiots who have no clue how to grow a business into the 21st century. We are tired of the lack of foresight with developments. I'm fine with parishes approving single entrance subdivisions. Though not perfect, there obviously is a market and the demand for them since they keep getting built. But why the parish won't demand a developer to add turn lanes and improvements to the road because of the extra traffic they will generate is beyond me. Why when they approve 5,000 lots of single family homes within a mile of Hwy 42 and not have the foresight to widen the road and instead have the traffic be horrible for 5 years before saying ge, i guess we should widen this road. Or why they are only paving 6 lanes on I10 and I12 instead of saying, while we are at it, why don't we do 8.. Even if we only strip 3 until we can widen it in other parts lets have *gasp* foresight to know it won't be enough even on day one is beyond me..

Where we would move I have no idea (Austin, Charlotte, etc), but as a software developer, i'm sure within the next 2-3 years I'll be ready to move onto the next job, life of a programmer I guess...Unless I have a compelling reason to stay, such as a big promotion I don't see this path changing.

Sorry for the rant.

so you proudly state that LSU isn't a great school when you can't say why? Hysterical. If I made such a comment with zero substance I'd be called a troll (and have).

funny, a lot of your posts make me roll my eyes and wonder if you live in BR and now I know.

My reason is exactly what I said, it's not high enough in the rankings. I think most people know that I live in Houston now. I don't see the problem.

All2neat: the traffic on 42 is horrendous. I lived in one of the subdivisions you talk about. It needs to be widened to the Amite with a turning lane in the middle. HWY 73 deserves the same treatment north of I-10.

I love Baton Rouge with every bone in my body but I wanted to come to Houston to get a feel for somewhere different, I'm young and it's good to move away for school.