Baton Rouge Developbits

dan326

Nice to see another Village-type development going up in the capital city! :shades: Hopefully The Settlement @ Willow Grove, Perkins Rowe are only the begining!!! Maybe in 08' Acadian Village, Rouzan, and Westmoreland will also happen!

Thanks for the renderings Dan! I have seen Willow Grove in the newspaper; but never able to find on a website to post here on UP. :thumbsup:

Thanks buckett; yep that looks like the condo tower location....finally. Hmm, good question, Business Report too??. Actually this has been in the works for at least a year and a 1/2. There was a delay with some problems not sure of. Maybe we will see something on this soon??

I like to see the vertical condo's being built around campus.

* Sterling Northgate (Highland Road) - 6 stories

* The Fieldhouse (Nicholson) 4-stories

* Victory Commons with the cool looking 4-story bell-tower ( makes for a cool-looking entrance to LSU)

>>More to come around the Northgate??

* New 4-story condo at the old Prince Murat (disapointed 11-story plans were scrapped!)

* Crescent at University Lake (Stanford Ave.)- 5 stories

* Southgate Tower #4 10-stories?? to go along with the three other 8-story towers that went up in 06'

>> A new 4-story Stadium Club on Boyd???

Any more?? Gameday condo's (name?) had expressed interest; but I have heard nothing lately :dontknow:

Also there are three story condo's; but I was mentioning anything 4-stories and above

Edited by richyb83

Here is the pic of Southgate. The crane is in the back, closer to the parking garage, so i would have to guess its a new tower. But how come no one has caught this development, im surpirsed the start of the new work wasnt in the advocate or bidclerk.

photo.jpg

Looks like pile-driving equipment, but I could be wrong. If that is the case, then the piles would potentially be up to, what, 7 or 8 stories high (judging from the size relative to the parking garage). Something really heavy is going right there.

Either way, something's going up right there, and it's not a surface parking lot.

Edited by cajun

RW Day is all over right now. He is building the Village at Pelican Lakes on Burbank. The first phase Stonelake is a unique property to Baton Rouge. I like unique. He is progressing with the Southgate development, commercial and residential. He is developing the project on Oneal. It is nice to see a little thought going into these projects rather than building what was already built by someone else.

With all the new development going on around campus especially at the North Gates it won't be long before they start expanding all the "new" development down Nicholson and Highland Rd. That whole area is prime for redevelopment. It's just a matter of time. It's been quite some time since I've road around campus I need to go so I can see all of this stuff. I passed on Essen the other day and they are making progress for the new hotel. That's going to add to that area. Essen will certainly have it's own little skyline. LOL

These spaces around BR continue to fil-up.

New office building set for Jefferson

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Construction is scheduled to start next month on Cardinal Hill, a $7 million, 45,000-square-foot office building on Jefferson Highway between Interstate 12 and Bluebonnet Boulevard. Cardinal Hill will be a three-story building; Evans-Graves Engineers plans to occupy one floor. Grace & Hebert Architects is designing Cardinal Hill, while Arkel International is the contractor. Plans are to open the building by the end of the year.

"Apartments, TNDs on Planning Commission agenda

The city-parish Planning and Zoning Commission is scheduled to vote on several projects tonight, including two apartment complexes and two big TND developments. La Vie, a 995-acre TND project at Interstate 12 and O'Neal Lane, is on the agenda after being deferred from last month. Developer Robert Day is proposing a mixed-use project with houses, retail and office space and a film studio. Americana, a 414-acre TND near Zachary, also is on the agenda. Americana, which is being developed by the Shearwater Group, would include 886 low-density units, 167 medium-density units and 613 high-density units. Plans are to have 670,000 square feet of commercial and office space in the development off Mount Pleasant-Zachary Road. Shearwater hopes to start construction on the first phase, which would include apartments and a town square, sometime this year. Planning commission staffers have recommended the approval of both projects, pending a resolution of all comments from the Department of Public Works.

Also on the agenda are two apartment complexes. Mallard Crossings is a 216-unit complex proposed for Greenwell Springs Road near North Sherwood Forest Drive. The other project, 1480 Nicholson, would be built at Nicholson Drive and Oklahoma Street on the site of the former Prince Murat Inn. There had been talk about putting retail and office space on the site, but the plans now call for 208 residential units. A 60,400-square-foot retail/office shopping center in the Barringer Foreman Technology Park is on the agenda. MIE Properties-LA, which owns the technology park, says about 60% of the building would be office space and the rest would be set aside for retail development"

Sorry I missed the meeting; wonder what happened?? These are some mega-huge projects on the edges of the city!!! Is La Vie really going to happen?? Americana roughly 3 times larger than the proposed Rouzan TND infil development! These projects will take many years to complete; Americana is said to take 15 years.

It's ashame Oklahoma Street is the dividing line with height restrictions. The Prince Murat site falls on the wrong side; so close, yet so far. Hopefully this spurs more development along the Nicholson corridor between LSU & Downtown.

Sorry I missed the meeting; wonder what happened?? These are some mega-huge projects on the edges of the city!!! Is La Vie really going to happen?? Americana roughly 3 times larger than the proposed Rouzan TND infil development! These projects will take many years to complete; Americana is said to take 15 years.

It's ashame Oklahoma Street is the dividing line with height restrictions. The Prince Murat site falls on the wrong side; so close, yet so far. Hopefully this spurs more development along the Nicholson corridor between LSU & Downtown.

I think it will spur more development on that corridor. I mean if approved you will have development on both ends of Nicholson. I simply don't see it stopping there. I think in a few years the whole area will be transformed into a more pedestrian friendly area, with new and old mixed together. I don't think it will be long before that area is "cleaned" up. We just need to get more development on the Highland Rd side of things.

More Red Stick Urban Lofts; located on Old Hammond Hwy. just east of Airline Hwy. across from the new Neighborhood Wal-Mart Grocery. Not as many units as the one's on Nicholson. The galvanized-aluminum look makes it's way into a smaller city like BR. They are more common in Houston as well as Dallas & Atlanta. They look very nice on he inside. :shades:

jan08006yo4.jpg

I actually think there are plans to add more on the property next door. I know they have started to clear it and I believe I did read somewhere that they were going to build some on that tract as well. Just like I believe I read at the same time that there were plans to build a apartment development on that property behind the Wal Mart Neighborhood Market. Is there any word on that? I can report that the Canterbury House Apt on Sherwood are coming along quite nicely. :shades:

Hmm. more Red Stick Lofts?? I hadn't heard. Seems like I do remember hearing a while back another large apt./condo complex would go up behind Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and Don Carter's. But nothing recent.

Widening that section of Old Hammond Hwy. will only help with the development in the area.

The Canterbury House apts. look impressive from I-12.

Hmm. more Red Stick Lofts?? I hadn't heard. Seems like I do remember hearing a while back another large apt./condo complex would go up behind Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and Don Carter's. But nothing recent.

Widening that section of Old Hammond Hwy. will only help with the development in the area.

The Canterbury House apts. look impressive from I-12.

I don't know for sure if it was more Red Stick Lofts, but I remember reading somewhere that they were building something on that small track of land. It's a very small track, I thought it would have been great for about 4 more Lofts tho. Yes, Canterbury House looks awesome right there. It was a great infil development. I always hated that big piece of property being empty. The partner and I were commenting the other day how odd it for us to be coming from or going home and seeing that massive development right there. It has really changed the landscape of the blvd. We've been in BR for almost 4 yrs and when I look back from when we first moved here I am amazed at just how far the city has come in 4yrs. We are certainly well on our way to not having anymore developable land left. It's great!!!! OH!!! can I just say "Re-elect Mayor Holden 08" :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

"Realtors plan new office

The Greater Baton Rouge Association of Realtors plan to move into a new office off Perkins Road before the end of the year. Herb Gomez, executive vice president, says the board is building a $2 million facility in the Jamestown at Old Perkins mixed-use development near Pecue Lane. The Realtors currently have an office off Bluebonnet Boulevard, but Gomez says parking spots and classroom space are in short supply. "When we moved into this building about 15 years ago, we had 1,200 members," Gomez says. "Now we have 2,500 members." The new office will be about 15,000 square feet, triple the size of the current location. Gomez says it hasn't been decided yet what will happen to the old building."

"Woman's Hospital submits specs on new complex

Woman's Hospital has submitted plans for a new hospital complex to be built on the site of Briarwood Country Club. According to the paperwork submitted with the Planning Commission, the complex will consist of three buildings: a 300-bed medical center, a 260,000-square-foot medical office building and 69,105 square feet of support services facilities. The architects are Dallas-based HKS Inc and Ford/Dickinson of Baton Rouge. Woman's Hospital officials said in October that groundbreaking was scheduled for early 2008 and completion expected in 2010."

Edited by dan326

We are certainly well on our way to not having anymore developable land left. It's great!!!! OH!!! can I just say "Re-elect Mayor Holden 08" :yahoo:

I like him too, but in all fairness, Baton Rouge has been in somewhat of a boom for 5-6 years.

Holden's done well for himself. I am glad he's not in the William Jefferson/Cleo Fields/Edwin Edwards crowd.

Yeah Baton Rouge was turning the corner even before Holden and Katrina. The hurricane has only accelerated things. Holden's Green Light Plan will leave him a legacy as far as surface streets and traffic are concerned.

I first met Kip Holden on Third Street while he was passing out water to people at lunch break; I saw him a year later and he still remembered me; that was very impressive to me.

Edited by richyb83

I"ll certainly have no problems voting for him again. I think he's done an excellent job. My only complaint is the increase in crime, but I do think that comes with having a growing, bigger city. It just seems like he is the only one in our elected city officials that is actually trying to do something constructive for the city, al the Metro Council wants to do is defer every issue that's not to their liking

That I agree with: Holden has done more with this city than any mayor since I've been alive. I get frustrated when the metro council gets fearful of stepping on toes. I'm a little disturbed with the crime problem and some of Holden's political buddies, but for the most part I think hes a good guy. I know that he was on the council in the past, so I expect him to take sides similar to those takein on the council.

And what is with the crap going on with the board of BREC?

I'd still like to see a strong candidate against Holden. I think that is what motivated him in the first place....the challenge and his vision forced him to make promises. For that reason, I don't expect him to do much good during a second term. He's already trying to fade in the background now that the word is out on the crime. He's trying hard not to step on any toes as it is. That makes me nervous...and it just tells me that he'd rather not bring it up that stand up and make a difference now. I've already noticed that he's falling into that old Baton Rouge mentality in his absence on the Rouzon issue.

I just hope we can still get as much out of him in his second term as his first term.

Yeah Baton Rouge was turning the corner even before Holden and Katrina. The hurricane has only accelerated things. Holden's Green Light Plan will leave him a legacy as far as surface streets and traffic are concerned.

I first met Kip Holden on Third Street while he was passing out water to people at lunch break; I saw him a year later and he still remembered me; that was very impressive to me.

With rising construction cost and increased crime, I'm not so sure that Baton Rouge will/has had a helping hand from Katrina.

One thing is for sure....if there was a real estate bubble, it was filled with legit. buyers after the storm, which did keep us from hurting too badly last year when that market crashed in the rest of the country. The real estate market seems to crash every quarter centrury.....maybe I should keep that in mind 20-25 years from now.

Edited by cajun

That I agree with: Holden has done more with this city than any mayor since I've been alive. I get frustrated when the metro council gets fearful of stepping on toes. I'm a little disturbed with the crime problem and some of Holden's political buddies, but for the most part I think hes a good guy. I know that he was on the council in the past, so I expect him to take sides similar to those takein on the council.

And what is with the crap going on with the board of BREC?

I'd still like to see a strong candidate against Holden. I think that is what motivated him in the first place....the challenge and his vision forced him to make promises. For that reason, I don't expect him to do much good during a second term. He's already trying to fade in the background now that the word is out on the crime. He's trying hard not to step on any toes as it is. That makes me nervous...and it just tells me that he'd rather not bring it up that stand up and make a difference now. I've already noticed that he's falling into that old Baton Rouge mentality in his absence on the Rouzon issue.

I just hope we can still get as much out of him in his second term as his first term.

With rising construction cost and increased crime, I'm not so sure that Baton Rouge will/has had a helping hand from Katrina.

One thing is for sure....if there was a real estate bubble, it was filled with legit. buyers after the storm, which did keep us from hurting too badly last year when that market crashed in the rest of the country. The real estate market seems to crash every quarter centrury.....maybe I should keep that in mind 20-25 years from now.

dood holden will do just as much for his second term as he did for his first term...the thing that makes him different..is his drive for the world to KNOW Baton Rouge just as they know new york , LA, ATLANTA NEW ORLEANS and the rest...it seems the rest of our mayors have just taken that position just to they hey...im the Mayor ...but no work was being done.....i recall holden talking about this loop before he was running for mayor ....i think he'll turn this city into a 1st class city.....he's like me....im tired of traveling to other cities...i wan't people to come to BR and enjoy themselves