ICON

TopCat

I don't have any inside information nor have I heard or seen any rumors other than what's posted here. But, based on personal observations, a year's wait on occupancy seems like a stretch. The huge lower section which might consist of 50 to 60% of the total building materials has progressed significantly with respect to internal wall and service installation and exterior cladding. The time it took to build out the complex and large volume of the lower section, might have contributed to some of the earlier misgivings regarding the schedule. The tower section seems to be going up at a reasonable rate (about a floor a week).

It seems to me the building may be a few months behind schedule, but a year off might be a bit of a reach.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember this being posted before... but I came across this pdf on the ICON website...

link

Apparently there was a gathering at Sambuca in July, at which they gave construction updates to future residents.

In the PDF, it states that "topping out" is expected around Thanksgiving... which, based on the progress ive seen lately, could be possible. It also says they were "about 1 year" into construction in July, and the first units are expected to be delivered Summer 2008, starting with the midrise units facing Division street.

I don't remember this being posted before... but I came across this pdf on the ICON website...

link

Apparently there was a gathering at Sambuca in July, at which they gave construction updates to future residents.

In the PDF, it states that "topping out" is expected around Thanksgiving... which, based on the progress ive seen lately, could be possible. It also says they were "about 1 year" into construction in July, and the first units are expected to be delivered Summer 2008, starting with the midrise units facing Division street.

i drove by with my partner the other day. keep in mind, he is not into the developments as much as i am. when we started driving by it, he said, what is that ugly building in front of it? it takes away from the icon, they need to bulldoze that!

he did not realize this was part of the icon until we got right up on it. it looks really cheap....

here is a question(btw jice, thanks for all of you picture threads), is the Station Inn really going to be able to afford their lease in the coming years. I've never been to the venue, but i hear it's nice. However for a dive, i think it's day are numbered.

Having said that, what would you guys think of another high/mid-rise on that spot? Is this too dense for the Gulch or is it inevitable? Would it be better as an urban park or as a retail hotspot? Parking lot, or parking garage? Office building or government center? Hotel or Station Inn?

Thoughts...

here is a question(btw jice, thanks for all of you picture threads), is the Station Inn really going to be able to afford their lease in the coming years. I've never been to the venue, but i hear it's nice. However for a dive, i think it's day are numbered.

Having said that, what would you guys think of another high/mid-rise on that spot? Is this too dense for the Gulch or is it inevitable? Would it be better as an urban park or as a retail hotspot? Parking lot, or parking garage? Office building or government center? Hotel or Station Inn?

Thoughts...

Having said that, what would you guys think of another high/mid-rise on that spot? Is this too dense for the Gulch or is it inevitable? Would it be better as an urban park or as a retail hotspot? Parking lot, or parking garage? Office building or government center? Hotel or Station Inn? Thoughts...

I don't really understand the fixation on how an unfinished and unadorned building looks. I think it'll look fine. The real beauty of this thing is the 500 or so people living in the Gulch with retail at streetside. I'm certainly glad my choice of residence isn't open to such constant criticism.

I didn't mean to imply that the brick was anything other than not my personal taste. I really hope this building looks fabulous when its done. And absolutely, even the worst brick is far better than Dryvit/Sto/ EIFS/ whatever you choose to call that awful stuff. I have never understood why someone would want their building exterior to be stryrofoam.

I don't really understand the fixation on how an unfinished and unadorned building looks. I think it'll look fine. The real beauty of this thing is the 500 or so people living in the Gulch with retail at streetside. I'm certainly glad my choice of residence isn't open to such constant criticism.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived