ICON

TopCat

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was coming back from Memphis yesterday, and instead of taking 440 to 65S I decided to swing through 40 west of DT. ICON looks awesome towering over the interstate. It kinda (a BIG kinda) gives you that Atlanta feel while your shooing down 85 through their DT, and the buildings tower over the interstate.

• 2 months later...

I agree the ICON looks better the closer you get. Not a huge fan of the brick they chose, at least from far away... and definitely not a fan of the tan-ish colored areas. But it looks much better than certain other projects around the city. Still one of my favorites.

One thing kinda throws me though... I thought, looking at the renderings, that the glass was supposed to be a green-ish tint??

As for the "skin" of Terrazzo.. I don't think its installation has started, has it? If so, I hadnt noticed..

A few pictures from yesterday. Trying to show the urban density being developed in this neighborhood. I can't imagine how it will look when the proposed 10 story Griffin Plaza, 17 story 1201 condos and mid-rise Pine Street Flats are underway.

14 story Terrazzo (near topping out?) in front, 22 story Icon in back

Spring08005.jpg

More density; the low brick building on the right is the 'City Hall', a funky club that features a Halloween party where some of the participants wear nothing more than body paint.

Spring08006.jpg

Left to right: Terrazzo, Icon, Encore

Spring08010.jpg

Even more density

Spring08007.jpg

Great pictures all of you. It really helps to see pictures for those of us who aren't around to see the progress.

I love the shot with Terrazo in the front, then ICON and then you can barely see the Renaissance in the background. That is going to be an interesting angle for shots soon as things get completed there and you will be able to see downtown skyline in the background of the Gulch "skyline"

Great pics PHofKS. Those really show off the density that in rapidly developing in the Gulch.

@jcoop - It's already an interesting sight to drive in on I-40 from the west (near the Charlotte Exit) and see the new Gulch skyline rising up in what used to be just open space.

I agree rural king. My desire is to see the central business district to add buildings such as Signature Tower (obviously, no matter how long it takes), and the Westin hotel; see Sobro with the Pinnacle Tower and Convention Center with a very tall CC hotel; then have this urban core connected by the density seen here in The Gulch with the strip of West End. Now that would be a great downtown!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, the ICON is getting sooo close.. I actually walked on the sidewalk in front of it :) It's not completely re-opened yet.. but its almost there. Lots of windows already in place, lots of finishing touches happening..

I hope they do something else to the cap at the very top though.. to me it doesnt look quite finished.. like it needs a lil somethin else.

Anywayz.. looks like they are doing an orientation for future residents pretty soon.. there are a couple signs up around the Gulch, one right in front of the ICON garage:

IMG00003.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this project is almost completed. Here is an article in the TN about the Icon beginning to move people in soon. This will be a test to see how bad Nashville has been affected by the condo slump if at all. Hopefully, not to many invested to flip, and most people who signed contracts will move into the building. This will also be a huge factor on the Gulch neighborhood.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...D=2008805250391

Archived