Alpine Ave. Wal-mart Construction Updates

Construction Updates.

It looks like the new Wally World is now fully enclosed and trim work being applied to the exterior. Also a third pyramid roof has been added to the top the garden center entrance making the already massive facade look even more massive. In addition, it seems that the smiley face is sparing no expense by finishing the all the pyramids with standing seem copper roofs for that classy affluent look.

Fast losing daylight I managed to squeeze in a quick photo shoot of the new Wally World.

Approaching the store from the main drive. The size of the new super center is overwhelming and in-your-face.

2119559790_b4482264c1_o.jpg

Egypt has three great pyramids. So can Walmart.

Noticed the retail entrance (the center one) featuring a new copper standing seam roof. Soon all three will have this roof finish.

2118781123_a93816e784_o.jpg

Its facade-o-rama at the new Tire and Lube center taking shape.

2119559726_a44d62506f_o.jpg

The grocery section of the new supercenter looming over the back of the old store.

2119559630_72614a0c4d_o.jpg

New tower over old.

2119559534_7a1a5753d7_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While driving around a few days back triyng to kill time I ended up heading up where the new building is being built. I went around where the road closed to through traffic signs were and ended up being able to drive back around the store almost completely. The road that is closed however is a road that ends up connecting out to Cordes Ave. which then goes down to 4 Mile, easy acess that I had no idea was being done.

Speaking of 4 Mile does anyone know about the work being done on the north side between Cordes & Bristol?

Once they knock down the old building, will they be making new "outlots" (I think that is what they call them). It seems like keeping the old parking lot and paving over the current buildings footprint would make one ridiculously large lot.

While I am not a fan of Walmart, I like the fact that both Meijer on Plainfield and the Walmart on Alpine are not greenfield developments.

Joe

Once they knock down the old building, will they be making new "outlots" (I think that is what they call them). It seems like keeping the old parking lot and paving over the current buildings footprint would make one ridiculously large lot.

While I am not a fan of Walmart, I like the fact that both Meijer on Plainfield and the Walmart on Alpine are not greenfield developments.

Joe

• 2 months later...

I found out today from a cashier at Wal-mart that the new Wal-mart Supercenter's Grand Opening is scheduled for May 8, 2008. It was hard to see what was going on behind the exhisting store, but I do believe the exterior is mostly complete. Inside the exhisting store, it still remains normal. I'm wondering if they are taking all the exhisting product over to the new store?

• 2 weeks later...
I found out today from a cashier at Wal-mart that the new Wal-mart Supercenter's Grand Opening is scheduled for May 8, 2008. It was hard to see what was going on behind the exhisting store, but I do believe the exterior is mostly complete. Inside the exhisting store, it still remains normal. I'm wondering if they are taking all the exhisting product over to the new store?

• 1 month later...

Attention All You Walley World Lovers!

It has been announced that the new wal-mart supercenter on Alpine Avenue will open up this Wednesday! Now because of the fact that the old building is still in the way, to get to the new supercenter, you will still park in the normal parking lot and golf carts/trolleys will take you to the new store. The old store's demolition is set to start May 17. I unfortunately have to work that day, so I won't be able to go there for the grand opening specials. If you go to wzzm13's site and watch the video, it may show some stuff of the new store. Unfortunately it has the dual check out lanes like the current store. I still think meijer is gonna be better. So on grand opening day, hopefully some of you can get overthere to check out the store and post back what you saw.

It has been announced that the new wal-mart supercenter on Alpine Avenue will open up this Wednesday! Now because of the fact that the old building is still in the way, to get to the new supercenter, you will still park in the normal parking lot and golf carts/trolleys will take you to the new store.

Attention All You Walley World Lovers!

It has been announced that the new wal-mart supercenter on Alpine Avenue will open up this Wednesday! Now because of the fact that the old building is still in the way, to get to the new supercenter, you will still park in the normal parking lot and golf carts/trolleys will take you to the new store. ...

But Alpine Ave??? Having drove up and down countless times I can't think of very many, if any, 'local shops'. Even if there are any left, this isn't a brand new store going in a location that doesn't already have big boxes everywhere around it.

Definitly not a joke. I don't think you realize how many people will go to a Wall Mart supercenter for almost everything they need. Haircuts (there goes that little barber shop accross from Lamoreaux), oil changes (there goes business from local dealships), food (there goes a lot of business from Meijer, Family Fair, etc), plants and flowers (there goes Alpine Floral), I could go on but I think you see the point. Obviously it would be a stretch to say Wal Mart is going to drive every local store out of business, but with their ridiculously low prices it definitely has the potential to do major harm to a lot of them.

No I don't see your point because there already WAS a Wal-Mart on site and has been for years. True they didn't have all the offerings, but I would bet the majority of people's habits won't be affected, especially the people that already frequent Meijer just down the road. Is it Wal-Mart's fault that they offer lower prices? Dealerships rape customers daily on services provided and quality at Alpine Floral is far superior to the quality at Wal-Mart. How does Wal-Mart get such a bad rep when Meijer is the exact same in regards to services offered, competitive prices and broad selection of products. I realize Meijer may be a local company, but the same arguments for Wal-Mart could EASILY be applied to any of the 15-20 Meijers in the Grand Rapids metro area.

Today, I ventured into the belly of the beast that is the new Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Upon entering the site, it was quite clear that the new Wally-World is getting quite a reception mainly due to Grand-Opening bargains to be had. The Parking Lot was extremely crowded. The family and I were lucky to find an available spot way out in the temporary lot next to the main access drive. However a golf cart from the make shift "mass transit" system quickly picked us up and whisked us to the new store. As we rode across the parking lot we took note of two trollies I've nicked named the "Wally World Express" and two make shift stations made of chip board and 2x4's in fount of the now desert old store. Wal-Mart went as far as to paint a Bus Rapid transit lane of sorts guiding the trollies to the new store. Next to the lane was a marked walking lane for customers who chose to hike.

As we disembarked from the golf cart next to the Garden center entry, the hulking 203,119 sq. ft behemoth dominated the sight. The 32' high brick and stucco facade was imposing but tastefully decorated and looked far better than the old building just fifteen feet away. The street trees installed in 18" high concrete planters on the front walk were a nice touch.

One of the Wal-Mart associates directed us to enter the store via the Retail or "Home Living" entrance. Like the "Food Center" and "Garden Center" Entrances, The Home Living Entrance is encased in a massive 40' high turret that juts out about 32' from the front of the building and is caped by a gleaming pyramid shaped copper standing seam roof. To each side of the turret are 4' high garage doors to allow staff to push carts though into the cart rooms.

We past through the automatic doors into the vestibule. The 12' high drop ceiling and tope colored tiled floor gave the space a surprisingly intimate feel though not crowded. However that intimacy soon gave way to the vast brightly lit sales floor eliminated by Florissant lighting and skylights throughout. The tiled floor also surrendered to a concrete floor polished to medium sheen. A die mixed into the concrete gave the floor the color of chocolate milk.

The graphics program was fairly on the spartan size consisting of mostly green signage and banners in the food center and blue signage and banners in the retail side. But the graphics program were acceptably functional. Walls through out were an earthy beige while the exposed truss ceiling was a snow white. The clothing departments and baby and tots department featured wood floors to help soften the look of the concrete floors a bit. Unlike other Wal-Mart supercenters I've visited in the past, aisles are wide and lend a spacious feel. Though a little bit more work needs to be done on arrangement to reduce the labyrinth feel in some area of the retail section while space in the food center's produce section and deli area was a bit tight. However the racetrack layout of the sales floor helped keep traffic flowing.

As for layout, the food center is to the right while retail is to the left much like the Alpine Meijer. As we explored the food center it became obvious that Wal-Mart copied most of the Alpine Meijer's grocery section layout as anyone who shops at the Alpine Meijer would easily find their way around here. Even the milk and eggs were in the same places at the rear corner. Meat and Seafoods were along the side wall. Even the four refrigerated gondolas housing packaged meats were arranged in the same way as those at Meijer. Other than the frozen foods being located in the rear most three aisles and the supercenter lacking the cafe area, I felt as if Wal-Mart took over the Alpine Meijer's grocery section and replace Meijer's colors and graphics with theirs.

In the retail side, the layout is similar to that of the Knapp Corner Meijer store with electronics located along the center rear of the store. The tire and Lube area is at the SW corner of the store while Health and Beauty is located next the Home living entrance. Pet Supplies are in the SE corner with access to the outdoor garden center nearby.

As for the Checkout Lanes, there are about 30 of them including a handful of self service lanes similar to Meijer's U-scanners and two tobacco lanes like those at the Alpine Meijer. The lanes are arranged in the double row configuration much like those at the Rivertown Crossing Meijer or Alpine Meijer before its remodel. One unusual feature is the books and magazines dept. dividing the checkout lane area in two.

The the in-store tenant alcoves located are located along the front promenade in front of the checkout lanes. Tenants and services include a Subway with sit-down area, hair and nail salon, Wal-Mart's play area featuring arcade games and penny rides, restrooms, customer service desk, Wal-Mart's Money center, and a Wal-Mart vision center.

Now comes the all too infamous weapon that Wal-Mart is notorious of. All competitors fear it. That's Every Day Low Prices. Well here's a little secret. From what I can tell Meijer does not have a thing to worry about when it comes to price point. While some things are cheaper at Wal-Mart, other are more expensive nullifying any savings one may earn by shopping at Wal-Mart instead of Meijer, Additionally if one were to pay attention to how Wal-Mart laysout its product, one will find most of the low priced items located at or near the raceways giving the appearance of Wal-MArt being cheaper than anyone else when in reality the prices for items one really wants are not that much different.

However I will say that Meijer needs to get more TV's in its e4 dept. as Wal-Mart has allot more TV's offer. For example the evil smiley face is offering a 52" Phillips LCD Full HDTV for about 1500 bucks. I don't think that's normal price.

Overall, the new Wal-Mart is a decent store. It has allot of offerings. Prices are as expected for any discount retailer It's electronics dept. is very comprehensive. I think Wal-Mart will garner the extra 40% increase in business. But I don't think is going to be from taking away from the Alpine Meijer's customer base. At 18 aisles the Grocery section at Meijer as allot more to offer than Wal-Mart's Food Center. The Layout at Meijer is much easier to navigate. The graphics program at Meijer is more colorful and easier to read. Meijer's checkout lanes are a single row vs. the confusing double row. Most importantly there is very little id any differences in prices.

Well that's my review of the New Wal-Mart

Yeah - as a current Walmart Supercenter shopper - all I have to say is NEVER buy Walmart's produce. Anything that is frozen is okay - some of their meats are okay (the packaged ones)...but I've had 3 strikes with the produce section where I have found bugs in my produce or it went sour the next day after taking it home.

I just go to Walmart to buy the boxed goods - and anything from the frozen section. The rest of my purchases go towards Meijer.

nuff said.

Yeah - as a current Walmart Supercenter shopper - all I have to say is NEVER buy Walmart's produce. Anything that is frozen is okay - some of their meats are okay (the packaged ones)...but I've had 3 strikes with the produce section where I have found bugs in my produce or it went sour the next day after taking it home.

I just go to Walmart to buy the boxed goods - and anything from the frozen section. The rest of my purchases go towards Meijer.

nuff said.

Meijer's produce offerings are so much better than that of Wally World's. Also in some instances Meijer has better prices as well. I saw water melons at the new Wal-Mart for over $6.00 per melon. Meijer had the same melons for $4.98 per melon.

Well I finally got a chance to venture into the new wal-mart supercenter and this is my experience. We entered the store through the garden center entrance. Inside the garden center are some really big ceiling fans with lots of blades on them. Kinda like what you wouild find in Navy Pier. So I head inside and the first thing I noticed was all the skylights that are in the new wal mart. If one would notice, when it's a nice and sunny day out, the store lights most of them are turned off until nighttime. They are probabily doing this to save energy. Things I like about the new walmart supercenter. Aisles are much wider than the old store and it's not all that crammed compared to the old store. I think it has a better electronics section compared to meijer's e4 section. Mainly has more to offer. I also like the graphics program they have compared to the old store. Now I noticed the ceiling isn't as snow white as meijer's. What I did not like was the produce section had some awful smells and prices for a head of lettuce were more than meijer's lettuce. I would not buy certain types of groceries from there. But otherwise, it's better than the old store. I do want to ask this. Was the store really needed? Why couldn't they add the grocery section to the exhisting store?

Archived