Baton Rouge Metro Airport

drew6974

Looks like they're building a new terminal in New Orleans. I feel like the best thing for Baton Rouge and our airport would be to build that high speed rail with stops only at our airport, Mid City, New Orleans airport and New Orleans downtown. The way they have it now has too many stops. Maybe include somewhere at the midway point for plant workers. I  don't think we'll get an international or share airport anytime soon or at all so I think the next best option is to make it easier to get to the one we already have relatively close. Maybe if the traffic in and an out of New Orleans' airport went up and vice versa we'd both get more flights and cheaper fares.

Here's an article on the New Orleans airport expansion: http://www.flymsy.com/capitalimprovements/Projects-in-Construction/New-Airport-Terminal-Under-Construction?utm_source=bellmedia&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=noia&keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI48Pz3KXn2gIVxNrACh0ZswTLEAEYASAAEgJ7ufD_BwE 

Edited by dan326

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

Baton Rouge airport passenger volume continues upward trend                                                                                      https://www.businessreport.com/article/baton-rouge-airport-passenger-volume-continues-upward-trend

Edited by greg225
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/26/2018 at 3:14 PM, Antrell Williams said:

That's a pretty big jump in passengers, great news. 

I think the catastrophic planning (or lack of planning) that went into the new MSY terminal may actually contribute to increased passenger demand at Baton Rouge.  

The existing parking and access points are going to be a 20 minute shuttle ride from the airport's new terminal.   It's going to be a cluster for about 4 years.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 1:30 PM, cajun said:

I think the catastrophic planning (or lack of planning) that went into the new MSY terminal may actually contribute to increased passenger demand at Baton Rouge.  

The existing parking and access points are going to be a 20 minute shuttle ride from the airport's new terminal.   It's going to be a cluster for about 4 years.  

I disagree.

The existing terminal has 5,673 parking spaces on site. The new terminal will have 5,600 parking spaces on site and 2,400 economy spaces located at the old terminal. On-site parking will remain the same with a net increase of 2,400 parking spaces available on airport property.

Accessing the terminal will be easier than it currently is for drivers from Baton Rouge. Drivers will exit Loyola, proceed one block and then enter the new airport access road. It's no secret accessing the current airport access road from Baton Rouge is a cluster and confusing.

The center of population for the BR metro is south of the city. For those people, driving to MSY is often easier than fighting Baton Rouge I-10 traffic attempting to get to BTR.

Edited by buckett5425

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, buckett5425 said:

I disagree.

The existing terminal has 5,673 parking spaces on site. The new terminal will have 5,600 parking spaces on site and 2,400 economy spaces located at the old terminal. On-site parking will remain the same with a net increase of 2,400 parking spaces available on airport property.

Accessing the terminal will be easier than it currently is for drivers from Baton Rouge. Drivers will exit Loyola, proceed one block and then enter the new airport access road. It's no secret accessing the current airport access road from Baton Rouge is a cluster and confusing.

The center of population for the BR metro is south of the city. For those people, driving to MSY is often easier than fighting Baton Rouge I-10 traffic attempting to get to BTR.

This is all a great justification for shutting down BTR and building a new airport either along I-12 between Baton Rouge and Hammond or along I-10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 2:34 PM, cajun said:

This is all a great justification for shutting down BTR and building a new airport either along I-12 between Baton Rouge and Hammond or along I-10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Very subjective response! You ignore the facts I presented to your unsubstantiated opinion that the new MSY would increase demand at BTR, due to a perceived lack of planning, and instead focus on population centers to justify construction of a new airport for the BR Metro. Nice try! Good to see you haven't changed in all these years. :tw_kiss_wink:

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 2:34 PM, cajun said:

I am all for a new airport on I-12. It would make since for Louisiana to have two major airports in the south-east, one on I-12 and one on I-10. Would aid development. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 5:15 PM, mr. bernham said:

I am all for a new airport on I-12. It would make since for Louisiana to have two major airports in the south-east, one on I-12 and one on I-10. Would aid development. 

I would support a single airport for both cities if we could get a hub, but that ship has sailed.  

The Hammond-Baton Rouge airport makes sense unless the Baton Rouge area starts developing better highway infrastructure to link the north side of the metro (where BTR is) to the rest of the area. 

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Regency Hangars to develop hangar community at BTR                                                                                                                      https://www.businessreport.com/newsletters/regency-hangars-to-develop-hangar-community-at-btr

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Anyone know if they are expanding the runways at BTR?   

I know 22R is already 7500 ft, which has supported a 747-200 (Air Force One) when Bush came to speak at LSU a while back.   The airport sees regular service from 737s,  717's, MD-88s, A320s, and a lot of regional jets (CRJ, ERJ, etc.).  It's handled a lot of chartered 767 jets for LSU with no problems.    But cargo jets are heavier than passenger jets, and they typically take up more runway space. 

The largest, heaviest jet in Amazon's cargo fleet takes about 8700' of runway, which pushes the limit of most large airports.    BTR can easily handle their 737 cargo jets though.    

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, cajun said:

Anyone know if they are expanding the runways at BTR?   

I know 22R is already 7500 ft, which has supported a 747-200 (Air Force One) when Bush came to speak at LSU a while back.   The airport sees regular service from 737s,  717's, MD-88s, A320s, and a lot of regional jets (CRJ, ERJ, etc.).  It's handled a lot of chartered 767 jets for LSU with no problems.    But cargo jets are heavier than passenger jets, and they typically take up more runway space. 

The largest, heaviest jet in Amazon's cargo fleet takes about 8700' of runway, which pushes the limit of most large airports.    BTR can easily handle their 737 cargo jets though.    

Baton Rouge airport wins $15 million to reroute Plank Road, lengthen runway for safety                                                                                                                                                                                           Baton Rouge airport wins $15 million to reroute Plank Road, lengthen runway for safety | Business | theadvocate.com

image.thumb.png.c4fec560b6ab0266c52cf3223a467eea.png

Great news!

I also found an older "general" layout plan for this alignment change.

Although that's the shortest of the two runways (13/31 - the crosswind approach runway), which will increase from 7005 ft to 7320 ft in length when this project is completed.    Again - that's more than adequate for the 737 Amazon Air Cargo jets that land regularly at MSY.   But potentially short for some variants of the 767 often used by Amazon air (when fully loaded with cargo during the hottest days of the summer).     13/31 unfortunately can't be extended in the opposite direction due to a graveyard that can't be moved.    7320 ft is the longest that runway will be after Plank is re-routed - although maybe it will add some space for them to extend later given how they are having to re-route Plank Road anyways.   

The primary runway, 4R/22L, is already 7500' long.   It can be extended to the north east, but would require that they cover up a draining canal similar to what they did to Monte Sano bayou  whey they extended that runway to the south west about 15-20 years ago.   The runway would need to be extended by about 1500' to handle the heaviest, most loaded cargo jet that Amazon air uses.   Not sure that is possible given the proximity of Plank Road.     It was in the 2007 Master Plan for the airport to extend 4R/22L to 8,000 feet total.    

I'm hoping that they are planning to increase the length of 4R/22L to attract Amazon Air....not to mention FedEx, UPS, etc.     The airport is losing a lot of runway fees and potentially even maintenance contracts and leasing from cargo carriers by not extending 4R/22L to about 9000 ft.    Hopefully once they finish the updates you outlined, they can start using 13/31 as the primary runway while they working on extending 4R/22L.  

For reference, the longest runway at KLFT is 500' longer than the longest runway at KBTR.

Edited by cajun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What are the chances BTR adds non-stop service to Washington DC and Chicago?  I'd love to see Southwest Airlines come in with non-stops to Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Baltimore-Washington.     But new American or United service to O'Hare and DCA would be awesome too.    

Is there any evidence that our new airport director is going to actually try?    Maybe expand a runway, add a couple of gates, and land some more flights?

On 3/10/2021 at 11:36 AM, cajun said:

image.thumb.png.c4fec560b6ab0266c52cf3223a467eea.png

Great news!

I also found an older "general" layout plan for this alignment change.

Although that's the shortest of the two runways (13/31 - the crosswind approach runway), which will increase from 7005 ft to 7320 ft in length when this project is completed.    Again - that's more than adequate for the 737 Amazon Air Cargo jets that land regularly at MSY.   But potentially short for some variants of the 767 often used by Amazon air (when fully loaded with cargo during the hottest days of the summer).     13/31 unfortunately can't be extended in the opposite direction due to a graveyard that can't be moved.    7320 ft is the longest that runway will be after Plank is re-routed - although maybe it will add some space for them to extend later given how they are having to re-route Plank Road anyways.   

The primary runway, 4R/22L, is already 7500' long.   It can be extended to the north east, but would require that they cover up a draining canal similar to what they did to Monte Sano bayou  whey they extended that runway to the south west about 15-20 years ago.   The runway would need to be extended by about 1500' to handle the heaviest, most loaded cargo jet that Amazon air uses.   Not sure that is possible given the proximity of Plank Road.     It was in the 2007 Master Plan for the airport to extend 4R/22L to 8,000 feet total.    

I'm hoping that they are planning to increase the length of 4R/22L to attract Amazon Air....not to mention FedEx, UPS, etc.     The airport is losing a lot of runway fees and potentially even maintenance contracts and leasing from cargo carriers by not extending 4R/22L to about 9000 ft.    Hopefully once they finish the updates you outlined, they can start using 13/31 as the primary runway while they working on extending 4R/22L.  

For reference, the longest runway at KLFT is 500' longer than the longest runway at KBTR.

Thanks for the stats Cajun. Always thought BR Regional Airport was at a disadvantage being only 65 miles away from an "International" airport like NOLA. Always thought BR's airport was small for a city it's size.

Wonder when the "Southern Re-Route((13))  happens ; if ever??  That's an interesting reconfiguration; completely stopping Plank Road ; veering in Left onto Hooper hooking back around.  Would there be a small " Flyover"; or likely just an "Underpass" for West bound traffic on Hooper approaching Harding Blvd.??

Was actually a bit surprise when they did the Northern Re-Route years ago curving the road East the

19 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Thanks for the stats Cajun. Always thought BR Regional Airport was at a disadvantage being only 65 miles away from an "International" airport like NOLA. Always thought BR's airport was small for a city it's size.

Wonder when the "Southern Re-Route((13))  happens ; if ever??  That's an interesting reconfiguration; completely stopping Plank Road ; veering in Left onto Hooper hooking back around.  Would there be a small " Flyover"; or likely just an "Underpass" for West bound traffic on Hooper approaching Harding Blvd.??

Was actually a bit surprise when they did the Northern Re-Route years ago curving the road East the

Actually they just secured some funding to move Plank Road.   I don't know if they will have a flyover though.   Seems odd to have one at the end of a runway safety area.   

BTR is pretty small for a city the size of Baton Rouge. I checked LFT(523k), SHV(683k), and BTR (822k), then I checked COS, they're doing 1.6 million! I would personally like to see a Denver flight added.

Just checked Little Rock, they are averging over 2 million passengers, but don't have an International airport and hour away, plus LFT on the other side.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1