UK

bw87a

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the surface level it has already meant more than 1000 new jobs at the university in staff and faculty in the classrooms and nurses, doctors, techs, and other support staff at the medical center complex. That job growth will continue especially when the new Chandler Hospital is built. That project alone is expected to bring 1,300 new permanent jobs along with 1,600 construction jobs while it's being built.

It will attract more research grants from federal and private sector sources helping to strengthen that aspect of our economy.

Higher enrollment is another goal which would translate intomore students spending their money in Lexington from August to May as well as potential more nightlife to cater to those students. Hopefully this will help to make the campus area more vibrant and downtown by proximity.

On the other end of the spectrum it will make the South Limestone, campus area traffic situation much worse with the thousands of new people living and working in the area. The Newtown Pike extension will help but we need some more focused mass transit and walking and biking facilities in the area to ease the congestion.

I would love to see some more housing in the area targetted toward faculty and staff so they would be able to walk and bike to work. Some 8-10 story condo projects would be great for the area and area businesses.

top 20, i knew that. i guess i was too excited. i was always wondering what it would take to get more tech jobs in kentucky. i guess you're right, rural king, it would be a major factor in making this happen.

• 1 month later...
The top 20 goal is great. I guess some do not like President Todd, but I think he has really done a lot for the University and Lexington. Under his tenure, there seems to be a pride that has been instilled in those at UK that goes deeper than basketball. That is a BIG deal. Also, he understands that for a university to become great, it must exist in a great setting in order to attract top notch faculty, staff and students. He has worked a lot with the city to create an environment where campus and the city blend together on the north side of campus. I realize he hasn't done this singlehandedly, but I think he has been a major driver in it.

Archived