Spring Hill Neighborhood

Southron

So did I!! I had lost some faith in the council members. This is great news. I just wish midtown had the councils support when we were fighting bad development in our neighborhood (which also included a CVS). Good to hear that the council has changed!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nonprofit Village of Spring Hill brought their planners to city hall to present the 100-page master plan to create a walkable, thriving business district. More than 150 people attended the Dover, Kohl & Partners presentation to the Mobile City Council. The final document includes 25 implementation suggestions. Two key items under consideration are creating a tax increment district and a local improvement district, which would allow for bonding capabilities.

Some city officials, including Councilman Clinton Johnson, were concerned that the plan could limit parking and clog traffic flow. The Mitchell Company maintains that CVS needs parking in front of a planned store, and is considering appealing the 5-month moratorium on new construction in the area. I wonder if Clinton Johnson received any campaign contributions from anyone at Mitchell.

Mobile Press-Register: Officials: Plan for Spring Hill 'eloquent'

The nonprofit Village of Spring Hill brought their planners to city hall to present the 100-page master plan to create a walkable, thriving business district. More than 150 people attended the Dover, Kohl & Partners presentation to the Mobile City Council. The final document includes 25 implementation suggestions. Two key items under consideration are creating a tax increment district and a local improvement district, which would allow for bonding capabilities.

Some city officials, including Councilman Clinton Johnson, were concerned that the plan could limit parking and clog traffic flow. The Mitchell Company maintains that CVS needs parking in front of a planned store, and is considering appealing the 5-month moratorium on new construction in the area. I wonder if Clinton Johnson received any campaign contributions from anyone at Mitchell.

Mobile Press-Register: Officials: Plan for Spring Hill 'eloquent'

• 4 weeks later...

The Mitchell Company will go before the Mobile City Council on March 4th to ask for a variance to the moratorium on development in Spring Hill so that they can purchase land for a new CVS pharmacy. If an agreement is reached between Mitchell and the Spring Hill Village group, a written document would be submitted to the council and group representatives would attend the meeting to tell the council that they support the variance request. Even without the Village's support, the appeal will be heard March 4th.

CVS developers appeal Spring Hillbuilding moratorium

Hopefully the council will tell the Mitchell Company no and make them wait until the new coding is in place. It'll be hard to make improvements if lousy development is allowed to continue.

• 3 weeks later...

Spring Hill residents, the Mitchell Company and CVS Pharmacy reached an agreement to allow the new drugstore. The new plan eliminates the parking lot between Old Shell and the building and calls for on-street parking along that street and McGregor. The store will not have any signage other than the store's name on its walls, and CVS let Spring Hill residents choose the color of the store's bricks and awning. Spring Hill residents compromised by allowing more parking than proposed in the master plan.

Mobile Press-Register: CVS, Spring Hill reach agreement

• 1 month later...

A few small business owners in the Spring Hill area raised concerns about the proposed zoning code changes for the area at Tuesday's Mobile City Council meeting. They spoke out against zoning that calls for buildings with a minimum of two stories and a maximum of three, 15-foot-wide sidewalks in some areas and less space for parking in front of businesses.

The Village of Spring Hill plan is already approved, so it's a little late to complain and try to stop the accompanying code changes. I hope they are unsuccesful, and the code changes are not watered down.

Some business owners oppose Spring Hill plan

More information about the proposed zoning regulations is available here: The Village of Spring Hill overlay zoning

Some of the owners of existing businesses just don't seem to get it. They have 11th hour concerns about "property rights" and are completely oblivious to the increased property values and sales that will come with the implementation of the Spring Hill master plan. I hope their ignorance doesn't water down the plan so that it becomes essentially useless. It's a little fishy that the Press-Register has given these people two stories on this.

Some businesses balk at Spring Hill zoning plan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey. This is my first post on this site, although I do read the posts regularly. I wanted to let everyone know that the planning commission is meeting at 2:00 p.m. on June 19, 2008 to discuss whether to adopt the proposed zoning ordinances for the Village of Springhill. Some of the business owners are still opposed to the plan, even though it is now going to be optional. However, it seems like the plan has a lot of support from the citizens, and so far 285 people have signed a petition -- found at http://villagezoning.petitionhost.com -- in support of the Village's efforts. The Village also recently put out a statement about what it is attempting to accomplish, and the statement notes that a developer is planning a multi-million dollar development near the corner of Old Shell and McGregor (not the CVS), but cannot proceed without changes to the current zoning ordinance. It's a pretty good read if you have a few moments -- http://www.thevillageofspringhill.co...ette/facts.asp. Anyway, just wanted to give everyone on here an update as to the Village's efforts in this matter, and to say that, if you get a chance, please try to attend the planning commission meeting. It's an important one.

The optional zoning code for the Spring Hill community passed unanimously at the Mobile Planning Commission on Thursday. The new regulation now goes to the Mobile City Council for adoption, which should take about six weeks.

The developer of the controversial CVS store proposed at the corner of Old Shell and McGregor will probably attempt to reject the compromise reached earlier and move the building back with parking in front rather than on the street.

Planners endorse Village zoning

• 4 weeks later...

For those who are interested, the Mobile City Council is meeting soon to decide the fate of the zoning ordinance for the Village of Springhill. I have received conflicting information as to the date of the meeting, but according to Linda St. John, of the Village of Springhill, the meeting is set for August 7th at 7:00 pm at Government Plaza. I will update this thread immediately if I hear differently.

To let you know, Linda has stressed to me that passage of the ordinance is far from guaranteed. Some people are still opposed to it, even though it is entirely optional at this point. Linda also mentioned that the Village needs "overwhelming" support from the public to ensure passage.

Please try to attend this meeting to show your support. I'll be there, as Linda has asked me talk in favor of the ordinance and to discuss how a similar zoning ordinance benefited Atlanta (where I used to live). Passage of this ordinance could be a huge benefit to all of Mobile, and maybe over time other areas in Mobile will be encouraged to pass similar zoning ordinances.

Thanks again for considering attending this meeting!!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived