Convention Centers

I'm from H-town and live in Atlanta and I've seen both the George R. Brown Convention center and their new expansion and The Georgia World Congress center and it's just completed expansion. The World Congress center is huge and I no longer know how big the GRB center is since it's new expansion but can anyone tell me FATUALLY what are the largest convention centers in the U.S and include both of those on that list.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from H-town and live in Atlanta and I've seen both the George R. Brown Convention center and their new expansion and The Georgia World Congress center and it's just completed expansion. The World Congress center is huge and I no longer know how big the GRB center is since it's new expansion but can anyone tell me FATUALLY what are the largest convention centers in the U.S and include both of those on that list.

It's 'factually'.

I went through numerous websites all citing that their convention center was one of the largest 10 - but I never found the actuall ranking of the largest 10. I do know Chicago & Las Vegas are at the top though. And I also know my favorite convention center is San Diego's (I'll be presenting in August :)).

Saying that the Georgia World Congress Center is huge just doesn't do it justice. Massive, gargantuan, colossal. I went to the international auto show there last year, and I bet it took 15 minutes to walk from the front to the back room where they had the thing.

Guest donaltopablo

Atlanta is 4th I believe. I'll dig up the rankings, but I think if you count current expansions (that are at least under construction) the rankings are 1. Chicago, 2. Vegas, 3. Orlando, 4. Atlanta.

I'm not talking total convention space cause Atlanta just built a new convention center and it's not even in the city it's by the Airport. I'm talking just the building itself not the cities. I want names like the George R. Brown Convention Center or the Georgia World Congress Center, not complexes with more than one Building.

Guest donaltopablo

I'm not talking total convention space cause Atlanta just built a new convention center and it's not even in the city it's by the Airport. I'm talking just the building itself not the cities. I want names like the George R. Brown Convention Center or the Georgia World Congress Center, not complexes with more than one Building.

My post was referring to the size of the primary convention center, as an individual building or complex, not the total of the whole city.

For those on the board who are of the mindset that SIZE DOES NOT MATTER ;)

Pittsburgh's isn't in the top ten in capacity (although it is one of the BEST)

98502P10.jpg

convention_1.jpg

Spacious pre-function area facing Allegheny River

313,400 square feet of exhibit space

236,900 square feet of column-free exhibit space

76,500 square feet in secondary hall

31,610 square-foot ballroom

51 meeting rooms and two 250-seat lecture halls

12,000 square-foot main kitchen

37 highly accessible loading docks

700 parking spaces

3,000 committable hotel rooms in downtown business district

New adjoining hotel in development

State-of-the-art teleconference and telecommunications capabilities

Internet access throughout

Pedestrian walkway to river and riverfront trail

It is also the FIRST among Convention Centers and LARGEST "enviromentally friendly" building in the world!!!

How fitting that the David L. Lawrence Convention Center should be the first LEED* certified "green" or environmentally smart convention center in the United States, and the largest "green" building in the world. In the 1950s, Pittsburgh Mayor David L. Lawrence was responsible for the city's first renaissance, which marked the beginning of the end of Pittsburgh's reputation as a sooty industrial city.

Light, air and water star in the facilities environmentally smart design. "Let there be light" is the first commandment in this environmentally responsible design. The generous use of skylights and windows, which produce diffused light and even temperatures in the building, brings daylight and ample views of the Allegheny River into much of the exhibit and meeting room space.

*(Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)

I AM very interested in getting floor coverage rankings for Convention Centers I have searched and searched but to no avail on the internet . . . they should be ones that are updated every 6 months or so, many of these centers are expanding and annexing rapidly.

Archived