Louisiana Legislature designates funding for I-49 North

bigboyz05

Backers of I-49 in Louisiana have come back from the recently completed legislative session with good news for building the highway between Shreveport and the Arkansas state line. They ended up securing 77.5 million dollars specifically for I-49 North. This is really good news! We're that much closer to getting this project finished. Read more at http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/local...leg_of_i_49.php

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Backers of I-49 in Louisiana have come back from the recently completed legislative session with good news for building the highway between Shreveport and the Arkansas state line. They ended up securing 77.5 million dollars specifically for I-49 North. This is really good news! We're that much closer to getting this project finished. Read more at http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/local...leg_of_i_49.php

I agree with you man! There doesn't seem to be much of a push to get that section between Fort Smith and Texarkana finished. I know it's the most expensive portion left to do because of the mountains and hills in the way. Who knows? I may be an old man by the time it's built. If they are to build it then they need to get off the pot and just do it. As far as I know the only section between FS and Texark slated to begin construction within the next year or so is the section between Texarkana and Ashdown which is a 14 mile section.

• 1 month later...
I agree with you man! There doesn't seem to be much of a push to get that section between Fort Smith and Texarkana finished. I know it's the most expensive portion left to do because of the mountains and hills in the way. Who knows? I may be an old man by the time it's built. If they are to build it then they need to get off the pot and just do it. As far as I know the only section between FS and Texark slated to begin construction within the next year or so is the section between Texarkana and Ashdown which is a 14 mile section.

• 2 weeks later...

In todays newspaper it said in Arkansas, crews are working on drainage structures, including forming a 3-foot drainage layer. Some timber still needs to be cleared, and bridge construction is under way. Construction of the triple-tiered interchange at I-30 will go on throughout the winter. I'm so glad the project through the city is moving along at a faster pace. That will just about take care of the urban section of I-49 in Texarkana except for the northern loop.

Bigboyz, at the NWA forum there are a bunch of recent links in the "I-49" thread about the opening of the aforementioned Anderson/Jane, MO segment these past two weeks. It's a reminder of how big of a deal this is, and will be once I-49 is complete. The opened segment, is only 6-8 miles long but residents had been awaiting it for years.

Are they still saying I-49 to Shreveport will go along 220 or will it take the inner city route. As for the section between Doddridge and the Louisiana state line, they are supposedly clearing brush in that area. I'm really excited about all of the road consruction projects in the area.

• 3 months later...

Wow, I-49 from Texarkana to Shreveport!! I live in Houston, but travel a few times a year to see my family in the Little Rock area. US-59 needs some MAJOR WORK... parts of it are good, but the small-town sections (Corsicana, Tenaha, just to name a few) get on my nerves. I occasionally detour through Shreveport, just to breathe some urban air. Arkansas' agressive 549 project is awesome though.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I-49 from Texarkana to Shreveport!! I live in Houston, but travel a few times a year to see my family in the Little Rock area. US-59 needs some MAJOR WORK... parts of it are good, but the small-town sections (Corsicana, Tenaha, just to name a few) get on my nerves. I occasionally detour through Shreveport, just to breathe some urban air. Arkansas' agressive 549 project is awesome though.

Archived