Lowrise infill projects

I'm becoming more and more interested in the lowrise infill projects, such as which might be built on a vacant space between two shops on a city's Main Street. The picture below illustrates what I'm referring to, which is a condo building on Main Street in Columbia, SC constructed last year:

1520main.jpg

Capital002.jpg

This shot courtesy of forumer Firefox

1520.jpg

Anyone have any pictorial representations they'd care to share, either of some that were done right or wrong?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish it was a bit more adventurous architecturally (check out the one next door) but it does have a good scale and I am all for infill. The first floor windows, however, take it out of the "main st" feel of the street wall. There is nothing to see in the windows and they feel cold and detached. I know that this being an office building you don't want people just walking in off the street but if these fronts were replaced by two small shops then the building would completely fade into the street scape. And given its rather conservative appearance I'd say it would be better off blending in better.

Here are two examples from King Street in downtown Charleston, SC that definitely get it right as well.

This is the Victoria Center on King Street, which houses a Brooks Brothers store on the ground floor:

VictoriaCenter.jpg

This is Majestic Square, adjacent to the Victoria Center, which houses a Saks:

MajesticSquare1.jpg

MajesticSquare2.jpg

MajesticSquare3.jpg

MajesticSquare4.jpg

Chicagoland has alot (I know....duh.... ;))

A seven story on N. Wells in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood

darcy_91804_031.jpg

A 3 story mixed use on N. Halsted in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood

141810_24_04_Home_Depot_024.jpg

3 and 7 story Metro Lofts building in downtown Arlington Heights, IL (a northwest Chicago suburb)

DSC_0454.JPG

a 4 sotry mixed use and 4 unit townhouse development on S. Oak Park Ave in Oak Park, IL (an immediate west suburb of Chicago)

Oak_Park_121105_034.jpg

Nov_12_copy_006.jpg

Nov_12_copy_004.jpg

• 3 months later...

Renaissance Walk at Sweet Auburn...a residential infill development under construction in Downtown Atlanta at the intersection of Piedmont Ave. and Auburn Ave. There are several similar projects u/c in Downtown and surrounding neighborhoods and several that have been completed.

Looking down Auburn Ave. from Piedmont...you can see two older building facades that were retained and I'm guessing will again be retail space. I'm not sure what was located there before.

img2266fv2.jpg

This section fronts Piedmont Ave. It flows into the corner building from the first photo...you can see where the red brick begins at the far left end of the row.

img2264bk5.jpg

This is the corner building at Piedmont and Auburn...same as the first photo but from further away in order to view the "tower" portion.

img2265cd3.jpg

Castleberry Point is another infill development under construction in Downtown Atlanta. It's located in the Castleberry Hill district, a former 1800's warehouse district turned loft/residential. The site is in the fork of Nelson and Walker Streets on a triangular shaped lot, and will continue the row of buildings that front both streets. The loft concept has been popular in Castleberry Hill for many years and it has attracted a bunch of art galleries/restaurants/shops to the area, but there hadn't been much new infill other than a couple of smaller developments. Construction began May 30 of this year.

castleberrypointkl8.png

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not but My best friends dad is doing that Project in Omaha. The company has a big time office here in Richmond VA but I believe is headquartered in Chicago IL. The company name doing the Omaha Project is ECI development services or something like that I forget the exact name of the company. But I know itd ECI something.

Archived