Co-working space in GR

joshleo

I am not sure if this should go here, or in the coffee house, but I think it is relevant to development... please move it if it isn't.

I have been thinking about going Freelance instead of working a normal 9-5 job. But I know that if I was to work from home, I would be tempted to just watch TV, or sleep in. I need a place to work outside the home. I have some friends who do freelance work in San Francisco. They have established a co-working space called the Hat Factory. They share common space and work on independent projects. They have WiFi, a meeting room, and pay a small months rent to use the place. Business Week did an article on the concept: coworking article

I was wondering if there are any places in GR where you can rent a desk, office, or work in a space with other freelancers. I think it would be fantastic if someone used one of the developments in the city to have a place for collaboration and independent work.

anyone have any thoughts on this? There is a space for GR on the coworking wiki, but no page started...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not sure if this should go here, or in the coffee house, but I think it is relevant to development... please move it if it isn't.

I have been thinking about going Freelance instead of working a normal 9-5 job. But I know that if I was to work from home, I would be tempted to just watch TV, or sleep in. I need a place to work outside the home. I have some friends who do freelance work in San Francisco. They have established a co-working space called the Hat Factory. They share common space and work on independent projects. They have WiFi, a meeting room, and pay a small months rent to use the place. Business Week did an article on the concept: coworking article

I was wondering if there are any places in GR where you can rent a desk, office, or work in a space with other freelancers. I think it would be fantastic if someone used one of the developments in the city to have a place for collaboration and independent work.

anyone have any thoughts on this? There is a space for GR on the coworking wiki, but no page started...

That's where I read that. Thanks Cabot! I was racking my brain trying to remember where I just read about the exact same concept.

Josh, you may also want to try Second Story Properties. I seem to remember in a Business Journal article that they were doing some "incubator" space in the Blodgett Bldg (15 Ionia) or above Sierra Room in the Lemon Wheeler Bldg.

They do show 150 sf for lease in Lemon Wheeler, which is about the size of a small office suite.

Josh,

On another note, I started working from my home a few months ago. I, too, was worried about the things you noted. However, I have found that I am more productive working here. When I would get downtime at the office, I would do things that were not productive (surf the web, talk w/ coworkers, play with the office dog, smoke cigarettes). Now, when I get some downtime, I do productive things. I take care of things around the house that I would normally put off. I can leave my home office and visit other businesses to network and get more business. I have even had time to get my own business up an running. You just have to convince yourself that your home is your office. Set up a space in your house that is for business only. Set office hours and don't stray from them too much. On a final note, don't forget about the gas money you'd save, the office fees you wouldn't spend, and the tax write-off (which you can't get for your home if you have another office).

Archived