The Monroe

smeagolsfree

This seems to be the norm for projects in the Germantown area. Three story @ street side and mostly brick. I guess that is what the area is zoned for and I have no problem with that. My question is this neighborhood going to be too generic with this type of construction or do you think something else needs to be done. I want you to know that I dont have a problem with the way this area of town is turning out. Much better than what has been there in the past and you cant tear down the old metal wharehouses quick enough for me..

http://germantownpartners.com/monroe1.htm

Remember that this project will just have an alley way separating the 4th and Monroe project and this will give this block a tremendous amount of density.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rendering isn't too exciting but I don't worry much about Germantown Partners. They've demonstrated that they care about the details (and the neighborhood) and if Germantown was my thing I would have no problem owning just about anything they develop. I have to laugh as I write this because this rendering is so UNSENSATIONAL compared to the fancy animation used to render Velocity and Rhythm (at dusk no less) but with those two projects you're almost guaranteed poorly detailed mud covered styrofoam on the exterior.

I'm confident that when it's finished The Monroe will seem very comfortable in its skin, pardon the pun.

This building reminds me of the old apartment buildings of the 20s (smeagles...no, I DON'T remember the 20s) and with that in mind, it's my feeling that these type buildings will have staying power for many, many years. Some time ago, and on a different forum, back in the days when it was city vs. city, Nashville was called out for having torn down many of the old apartment buildings. That's something I disputed as I think about the Westboro, Sterling Court on Belmont and any numerous old buildings scattered around the inner neighborhoods of the city. I think generic is the wrong word about these types of development. I believe the designers have in mind a very nice blend of the past and the solid nature of those buildings and the incorporation of modern amenities. If Germantown and others will continue to throw in single family homes to mix with these buildings, I believe we're on just the right track to creating the neighborhoods that disappeared long ago. We sure seem to be getting them back little by little. That's encouraging. I'm all for high-rises, but only in specific instances. As I drive around town and stop at key intersections (example: 8th and Wedgewood) my views are changing as I see these low rise structures forming a new core and a new foundation for living in the city. This is really nothing new, but the fact that we're, a century later, doing again is gratifying. The biggest challenge is building units that "regular folk" can afford as well.

I love what is going on in Germantown. It's gradually evolving into a wonderful urban community. Projects like the Monroe, and all the single family home turning this area into a real neighborhood. We have an area in Chattanooga that reminds me of what's going on in Germantown. It's the Southside area, and it's probably got more momentum that any area of urban development in Chattanooga right now. Areas like these will grow fast, and the potential of Germantown is huge, IMO.

Archived