Gonzales & Ascension Parish

dan326

perfect breakdown. 

I agree though that they all overlap. Group C and D overlap in that they want to maintain old political structures and only want development if it directly benefits them. They do not think on a regional scale and if they do not see things changing positively for them outside their window, then nothing is changing. 

Group A is growing largely contains the younger offspring of groups C and D. Uniting this group and group B would be the most realistic path to electoral victory, tacking on groups C or D would solidify your electoral margins. Groups A and B are so similar because at the end of the day they want regional development; group A takes a more 'New Urbanist' approach while group B takes a more traditional American suburb led growth approach. Essentially, group A wants the city to be the next Austin, group B wants the city to be the next Atlanta.

• 3 months later...

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_fc165952-3749-11e7-b7bf-b7ddf54f0dd2.html

GONZALES — Ascension Parish officials say contractors are putting the final touches this month on the long-awaited sewer installation project required for the widening of La. 42 in Prairieville.

But state officials said bids for the actual road construction work for La. 42 will be delayed by a month and, once the bid is let, work should start in the early fall on the two- to three-year project through northern Ascension's growing suburbs. 

I am so glad I don't have to rely on LA42 on a daily basis any longer. These 5 year road projects are ridiculous.

Edited by all2neat
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2017 at 8:34 PM, mr. bernham said:

I made a rough map of where these groups are primarily located. Groups A and B overlap the most;  A overlaps more northwards and B overlaps more southeastward. The person that unites three of the groups can win the election: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13HZNy6fVHuxxcL1Vrpl30F4TvI8&usp=sharing

Lumping Broadmoor and big chunks of Sherwood Forest into your group C doesn't make much sense. That's 5,000 predominantly white households (70-75%) that lean mostly centrist conservative or more traditional democrat...I would even challenge you on Villa Del Ray (pre-flood) as it is still 50%+ Asian and (older) whites. Most blacks who live there and in Goodwood Homesites (neighborhood behind old fun fair park location, RIP) I would consider relatively well off middle class (New truck and boat in the driveway...well kept house and yard, etc.)...These people don't vote for the Chuana Banks or the Denise Marcelles of the world if better options present.

That said I think your description is mostly correct outside of those areas...However, should Broadmoor and Sherwood (West Sherwood for District 6) see a resurgence in younger, middle class homebuyers (as it is now especially with the post flood Sherwood Renovations) you could see a push for a more centrist and ambitious candidate (although probably still a Dem.) I think if Scott Wilson (Republican) Dist.4 ceded East Sherwood Forest, district 6 could (if all was in alignment) go Republican if that seat were to open up. 

So If anything I think your yellow should extend further east to encompass Broadmoor/Sherwood Forest areas and maybe overlap with 'D'... 

Edited by caballero
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 9:28 PM, caballero said:

Lumping Broadmoor and big chunks of Sherwood Forest into your group C doesn't make much sense. That's 5,000 predominantly white households (70-75%) that lean mostly centrist conservative or more traditional democrat...I would even challenge you on Villa Del Ray (pre-flood) as it is still 50%+ Asian and (older) whites. Most blacks who live there and in Goodwood Homesites (neighborhood behind old fun fair park location, RIP) I would consider relatively well off middle class (New truck and boat in the driveway...well kept house and yard, etc.)...These people don't vote for the Chuana Banks or the Denise Marcelles of the world if better options present.

That said I think your description is mostly correct outside of those areas...However, should Broadmoor and Sherwood (West Sherwood for District 6) see a resurgence in younger, middle class homebuyers (as it is now especially with the post flood Sherwood Renovations) you could see a push for a more centrist and ambitious candidate (although probably still a Dem.) I think if Scott Wilson (Republican) Dist.4 ceded East Sherwood Forest, district 6 could (if all was in alignment) go Republican if that seat were to open up. 

So If anything I think your yellow should extend further east to encompass Broadmoor/Sherwood Forest areas and maybe overlap with 'D'... 

Alright, I pretty much agree with this. I made the suggested edits. Honestly, there is no reason and centrist/populist ambitious Republican could not win the Mayoralty. The problem is that too many old guard candidates that closely and strongly align with the beliefs of group D are in the race and end up garnering the most Republican support to make a run-off.

• 4 months later...

William Daniel, longtime Baton Rouge City Hall fixture, stepping down, headed to Ascension

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_fa16ac0a-add3-11e7-bac7-ab0c74074946.html

The man who crafted and oversaw most of Baton Rouge's high-profile infrastructure projects, tax plans and public safety initiatives over the last seven years is leaving his post with city-parish government.

William Daniel, who spent four years as Baton Rouge's chief administrative officer, is leaving his current job running the city-parish sewer system to shepherd infrastructure improvements in Ascension Parish.

During his time as chief administrative officer, Daniel helped to devise bond issues, gained the trust of council members, worked to create a law enforcement complex, implemented a public works complaint system and showed up on behalf of the mayor-president and more.

Daniel said he could not pass up the chance to take on the newly devised Infrastructure Division Director role in Ascension Parish. But his loss leaves a gaping lack of institutional knowledge on the third floor of City Hall while Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome's administration continues to hunt for a permanent chief administrative officer 10 months after taking office.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 5:28 PM, dan326 said:

Ikr and I guess the new definition of mixed use development is a development with any entity other than houses.

Stop being obtuse.   There's clearly a playground that is highly visible if you zoom in to about 200% and focus on the right area.    :)

Edited by cajun

1 hour ago, cajun said:

Stop being obtuse.   There's clearly a playground that is highly visible if you zoom in to about 200% and focus on the right area.    :)

Literally lol, I see it now!I rescind my statement then, they obviously put in a lot of careful planning that surpassed my current level of understanding :D

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Quite in this thread...after all this site is  NOT called Suburban Planet :o   Just a "Spur" to BR??

When will construction start on new road connecting I-10 to Ascension plants? Soon

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_7aa7ed74-b153-11e8-914f-df740898ad8f.html

NEED some VISUALS :shades:

GONZALES — The final link in a planned back route between Ascension Parish's Mississippi River chemical plants and Interstate 10 should be ready for construction before the end of the year, parish government officials say.

The half-mile Ashland Road connector will tie Ashland with South St. Landry Avenue just north of Lamar-Dixon Expo Center outside Gonzales. Parish officials hope the new road link will ease traffic in the congested La. 30/I-10 area, which the state has separately targeted for traffic improvements.

In combination with Edenborne Parkway Extension, another new parish road finished a year ago, the new Ashland connector will provide commuters from the parish's industrial corridor with a route south of La. 30 that reaches the La. 44/Burnside interchange at I-10, parish officials said.

The Edenborne extension has been successful in moving traffic in and out of Lamar-Dixon, and the new road off Ashland will help move traffic to and from the chemical plants along the Mississippi River.

Together, he said, the projects will help to ease industrial and commercial traffic congestion along the La. 30 corridor.

http://moveascension.com/ashland-to-st-landry-connector/

image.thumb.png.8b63349686f194ebf3814c4b29dcbca1.png

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_740061c8-f35b-11e8-a46a-a37fa76fb3c7.html

Former Gonzales Kmart to be converted into shopping center; see list of possible tenants

An abandoned Kmart store in Gonzales will be converted into a shopping center with tenants potentially including Ross Dress for Less, Marshall’s, Ulta Beauty and Five Below, plans submitted with the city show. 

Stirling Properties has proposed redeveloping the property at Airline Highway and Cornerview Street. The Kmart store closed in early 2017 as part of an ongoing series of shutdowns led by the chain’s financially troubled parent company, Sears Holdings.

• 3 months later...

Construction set to ramp up soon on new Gonzales development Heritage Crossing

Construction of Heritage Crossing, the first walkable lifestyle center in Gonzales, is expected to ramp up in the next few months.

“We should break ground on all the dirt work along Highway 30 in the next two or three months,” said Clay Stafford, president of Double D Development, which is building the 103-acre center at the corner of La. 30 and La. 44. Already completed are 340 feet of connector roads, which will tie the mixed-use development into Our Lady of the Lake Ascension Hospital.b

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_0cb427de-4437-11e9-a27f-abe6ca0d1d2e.html

• 1 year later...

Alexander’s grocery store to anchor new Gonzales mixed-use development

The owners of Alexander’s Highland Market in Baton Rouge are expanding into Ascension Parish with a 30,000-square-foot retail anchor in Gonzales’ Heritage Crossing. 

Construction on Alexander’s Heritage Market will begin in November, with the store currently set to open late 2021. 

Construction on the mixed-use development Heritage Crossing began earlier this year. Located near the corner of Highways 44 and 30, the development will feature 1.3 miles of walking trails and bike lanes along with additional retailers, restaurants, banking services, medical offices and residential homes. 

https://www.businessreport.com/newsletters/alexanders-heritage-market-to-anchor-new-gonzales-mixed-use-development

• 3 months later...

The state is looking into adding a new interchange in Ascension. 

Cornerview Road (just south of it) -which seems to be supported by a local developer that doesn't appear to be very serious.  This would require a couple of new access roads and links to other highways.

Highway 74 - which makes the most sense, but would require repurposing land currently used for trailer homes where the on-ramp would have to be.    Highway 74 is also a narrow  two lane road (although not as bad as most in AP) and will likely have to be widened to support this.

Both alternatives would help get truck traffic to and from the industrial developments along LA 30 and enable better traffic flow to a future Mississippi River Bridge either at Bayou Goula or Plaquemine Point.  

New I-10 interchange in Ascension Parish receives new look from DOTD

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/weather_traffic/article_fb0913da-5511-11eb-aec7-5313be01d833.html

GONZALES — Perhaps a decade from now, 18-wheelers headed to Ascension Parish's industrial corridor will use a new Interstate 10 interchange and access road shooting them onto La. 30, the main street of parish chemical plants in Geismar.

The proposed I-10 interchange southeast of Cornerview Road and related connector roads are receiving renewed scrutiny from state highway officials as parish government officials continue negotiations with major landowner and home builder, Grady Melancon, who owns the more than 600-acre Buzzard Roost property crucial for the plan to come to fruition, the officials and builder have said.

Full article at link above.

On 9/15/2018 at 5:23 PM, Antrell Williams said:

I wish they would just understand that a grid works best than the feeder-connector-freeway style.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If there was a textbook example of how not to handle inevitable suburban sprawl, it's lower Ascension Parish (not that northern AP is much better).   

I'm hoping that eastern Livingston,  West Baton Rouge, Pointe Coupee, Ibberville, and West Feliciana see what's happening in Ascension as a cautionary tale and develop plans to control and guide growth properly.   It will eventually happen for them too.     The parish is so poorly run, that I'm surprised anything happens when people flush their toilets.     

Edited by cajun

On 1/19/2021 at 9:50 PM, dan326 said:

^I wonder why? You'd think they'd have a sense of urgency since it's growing and the average income is relatively high.

Ascension Parish is not, and has never been a priority for state funding despite their growing population and spending power.    The few dollars they've gotten to widen various roads has been very hard fought and about 10-15 years after it was needed.

Edited by cajun