dan326

Gonzales & Ascension Parish

perfect breakdown. 

I agree though that they all overlap. Group C and D overlap in that they want to maintain old political structures and only want development if it directly benefits them. They do not think on a regional scale and if they do not see things changing positively for them outside their window, then nothing is changing. 

Group A is growing largely contains the younger offspring of groups C and D. Uniting this group and group B would be the most realistic path to electoral victory, tacking on groups C or D would solidify your electoral margins. Groups A and B are so similar because at the end of the day they want regional development; group A takes a more 'New Urbanist' approach while group B takes a more traditional American suburb led growth approach. Essentially, group A wants the city to be the next Austin, group B wants the city to be the next Atlanta.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_fc165952-3749-11e7-b7bf-b7ddf54f0dd2.html

GONZALES — Ascension Parish officials say contractors are putting the final touches this month on the long-awaited sewer installation project required for the widening of La. 42 in Prairieville.

But state officials said bids for the actual road construction work for La. 42 will be delayed by a month and, once the bid is let, work should start in the early fall on the two- to three-year project through northern Ascension's growing suburbs. 

I am so glad I don't have to rely on LA42 on a daily basis any longer. These 5 year road projects are ridiculous.

Edited by all2neat
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2017 at 8:34 PM, mr. bernham said:

I made a rough map of where these groups are primarily located. Groups A and B overlap the most;  A overlaps more northwards and B overlaps more southeastward. The person that unites three of the groups can win the election: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13HZNy6fVHuxxcL1Vrpl30F4TvI8&usp=sharing

Lumping Broadmoor and big chunks of Sherwood Forest into your group C doesn't make much sense. That's 5,000 predominantly white households (70-75%) that lean mostly centrist conservative or more traditional democrat...I would even challenge you on Villa Del Ray (pre-flood) as it is still 50%+ Asian and (older) whites. Most blacks who live there and in Goodwood Homesites (neighborhood behind old fun fair park location, RIP) I would consider relatively well off middle class (New truck and boat in the driveway...well kept house and yard, etc.)...These people don't vote for the Chuana Banks or the Denise Marcelles of the world if better options present.

That said I think your description is mostly correct outside of those areas...However, should Broadmoor and Sherwood (West Sherwood for District 6) see a resurgence in younger, middle class homebuyers (as it is now especially with the post flood Sherwood Renovations) you could see a push for a more centrist and ambitious candidate (although probably still a Dem.) I think if Scott Wilson (Republican) Dist.4 ceded East Sherwood Forest, district 6 could (if all was in alignment) go Republican if that seat were to open up. 

So If anything I think your yellow should extend further east to encompass Broadmoor/Sherwood Forest areas and maybe overlap with 'D'... 

Edited by caballero
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 9:28 PM, caballero said:

Lumping Broadmoor and big chunks of Sherwood Forest into your group C doesn't make much sense. That's 5,000 predominantly white households (70-75%) that lean mostly centrist conservative or more traditional democrat...I would even challenge you on Villa Del Ray (pre-flood) as it is still 50%+ Asian and (older) whites. Most blacks who live there and in Goodwood Homesites (neighborhood behind old fun fair park location, RIP) I would consider relatively well off middle class (New truck and boat in the driveway...well kept house and yard, etc.)...These people don't vote for the Chuana Banks or the Denise Marcelles of the world if better options present.

That said I think your description is mostly correct outside of those areas...However, should Broadmoor and Sherwood (West Sherwood for District 6) see a resurgence in younger, middle class homebuyers (as it is now especially with the post flood Sherwood Renovations) you could see a push for a more centrist and ambitious candidate (although probably still a Dem.) I think if Scott Wilson (Republican) Dist.4 ceded East Sherwood Forest, district 6 could (if all was in alignment) go Republican if that seat were to open up. 

So If anything I think your yellow should extend further east to encompass Broadmoor/Sherwood Forest areas and maybe overlap with 'D'... 

Alright, I pretty much agree with this. I made the suggested edits. Honestly, there is no reason and centrist/populist ambitious Republican could not win the Mayoralty. The problem is that too many old guard candidates that closely and strongly align with the beliefs of group D are in the race and end up garnering the most Republican support to make a run-off.

William Daniel, longtime Baton Rouge City Hall fixture, stepping down, headed to Ascension

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_fa16ac0a-add3-11e7-bac7-ab0c74074946.html

The man who crafted and oversaw most of Baton Rouge's high-profile infrastructure projects, tax plans and public safety initiatives over the last seven years is leaving his post with city-parish government.

William Daniel, who spent four years as Baton Rouge's chief administrative officer, is leaving his current job running the city-parish sewer system to shepherd infrastructure improvements in Ascension Parish.

During his time as chief administrative officer, Daniel helped to devise bond issues, gained the trust of council members, worked to create a law enforcement complex, implemented a public works complaint system and showed up on behalf of the mayor-president and more.

Daniel said he could not pass up the chance to take on the newly devised Infrastructure Division Director role in Ascension Parish. But his loss leaves a gaping lack of institutional knowledge on the third floor of City Hall while Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome's administration continues to hunt for a permanent chief administrative officer 10 months after taking office.

21 minutes ago, mr. bernham said:

Win for Ascension Parish. They're about to be Brooklyn to our Manhattan. 

More likely, they are about to be Farmington Hills to your Detroit.