Gonzales & Ascension Parish

dan326

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of doing things half --- backwards.. I can not believe that DOTD is letting the construction company doing the road work on Airline in Prairieville to close traffic lanes during rush hour. It took me from 4:20 to 5:20 to get from the light at highland to the light at Old Perkins and another 30 minutes to get to Hwy 42. They had the left lane closed. A friend of mine took him longer because he got off work at 5. So around 630 when he drove through prairieville they were finally opening the lane that was closed to traffic. What a joke. You can't justify this to me.

• Like 1

Why can't they build new roads that connect to the congested roads?  Someone should build 2 new major highways going North-South, and East-West.  I don't see any hope for Airline Highway from P'ville to Gonzales...it's too late.  We need an alternative.  Maybe it's a crazy idea but in my opinion, upgrading these roads are pointless because by the time everything is complete, another upgrade is needed.  smh.

• Like 1

There are too many traffic lights on Airline in that area, IMO.

Ascension exercises very little control over development along that route, and they are making the same mistakes that Baton Rouge has made.

Didn't the parish have some sort of tax plan to fund new roads in the area? The state has a very limited highway budget, and the New Orleans area has until recently eaten most of it up. I'm afraid that AP is going to have to find the funding for most of those improvements locally.

Edited by cajun

As you may know, on Monday March 18, the Gonzales City Council voted against progress and prosperity. Emerson, a fellow chamber member, has been trying to locate its regional headquarters in Gonzales at the new Edenborne TND next to River Parishes Community College (RPCC). The Chamber has stood behind this initiative for several reasons. First, Emerson is offering to bring several hundred well-paying jobs to Gonzales. They are offering to partner with RPCC and the Ascension Parish School Board to provide an enhanced learning experience in the technical fields. Emerson is a Fortune 500 company that will bring a great deal to Gonzales and Ascension Parish.

Although the vote did not go well for Emerson on Monday, IT IS NOT OVER. We are told that if one of the three councilmen who voted against Emerson will re-consider their vote by Friday, the issue can be brought up again at the Council meeting on Monday March 25.

IT IS TIME TO TAKE A STAND. The three councilmen who voted against this proposal were:

Councilman Gary Lacombe
Councilman Terrance Irvin
Councilman Tim Vessel

We are asking that you take a few minutes out of your day to do two things:

1. Please cut and paste the attached letter into an email and send it to each councilman. 

Their email addresses are:

Gary Lacombe - [email protected]
Terrance Irvin - [email protected]
Tim Vessel - [email protected]

Make certain to change the name on each email and place your electronic signature at the bottom.

2. Please place a call to each councilman and tell them you support Emerson and Edenborne and ask them to re-consider their vote. Their phone numbers are:

Gary Lacombe - mobile 225-456-6288, home 225-644-5495, work 225-201-6500
Terrance Irvin - mobile 225-955-0415, home 225-647-7441
Tim Vessel - mobile 225-368-6369, home 225-644-1231

We are asking that you make your voice heard. Together there is a chance we can change this, but we need EVERYONE. 

Please let these gentlemen know that the voices of a few should not govern, and that the so-called silent majority is not that silent.

Thank you,

LETTER TO CITY COUNCILMAN http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1102708876080-529/March+2013Letter+to+Emerson.pdf

Why can't they build new roads that connect to the congested roads?  Someone should build 2 new major highways going North-South, and East-West.  I don't see any hope for Airline Highway from P'ville to Gonzales...it's too late.  We need an alternative.  Maybe it's a crazy idea but in my opinion, upgrading these roads are pointless because by the time everything is complete, another upgrade is needed.  smh.

People think wider roads will solve everything. You are completely right. Even when they finally widen Airline it'll be congested within a matter of months.

There are too many traffic lights on Airline in that area, IMO.

Ascension exercises very little control over development along that route, and they are making the same mistakes that Baton Rouge has made.

Didn't the parish have some sort of tax plan to fund new roads in the area? The state has a very limited highway budget, and the New Orleans area has until recently eaten most of it up. I'm afraid that AP is going to have to find the funding for most of those improvements locally.

Yes, the tax was very expensive so it got shot down. I belive it was a 25 year tax. Also, it didn't fund new roads but improved intersections and wider roads.

On 73?

Not sure if they can fit a Super Center there, but that area is prime for a number of retail outlets. A neighborhood grocer would go well there.

Yes, but I was talking about the Neighborhood Wal-Mart that is rumored to be built there.

As you may know, on Monday March 18, the Gonzales City Council voted against progress and prosperity. Emerson, a fellow chamber member, has been trying to locate its regional headquarters in Gonzales at the new Edenborne TND next to River Parishes Community College (RPCC). The Chamber has stood behind this initiative for several reasons. First, Emerson is offering to bring several hundred well-paying jobs to Gonzales. They are offering to partner with RPCC and the Ascension Parish School Board to provide an enhanced learning experience in the technical fields. Emerson is a Fortune 500 company that will bring a great deal to Gonzales and Ascension Parish.

Although the vote did not go well for Emerson on Monday, IT IS NOT OVER. We are told that if one of the three councilmen who voted against Emerson will re-consider their vote by Friday, the issue can be brought up again at the Council meeting on Monday March 25.

IT IS TIME TO TAKE A STAND. The three councilmen who voted against this proposal were:

Councilman Gary Lacombe

Councilman Terrance Irvin

Councilman Tim Vessel

We are asking that you take a few minutes out of your day to do two things:

1. Please cut and paste the attached letter into an email and send it to each councilman. 

Their email addresses are:

Gary Lacombe - [email protected]

Terrance Irvin - [email protected]

Tim Vessel - [email protected]

Make certain to change the name on each email and place your electronic signature at the bottom.

2. Please place a call to each councilman and tell them you support Emerson and Edenborne and ask them to re-consider their vote. Their phone numbers are:

Gary Lacombe - mobile 225-456-6288, home 225-644-5495, work 225-201-6500

Terrance Irvin - mobile 225-955-0415, home 225-647-7441

Tim Vessel - mobile 225-368-6369, home 225-644-1231

We are asking that you make your voice heard. Together there is a chance we can change this, but we need EVERYONE. 

Please let these gentlemen know that the voices of a few should not govern, and that the so-called silent majority is not that silent.

Thank you,

LETTER TO CITY COUNCILMAN http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1102708876080-529/March+2013Letter+to+Emerson.pdf

Did anything change on the 25th???

just got some info on Sportsman park.

Two hotels going up now.

Logan's Opened.

1 Outlet Shopping Center in design process anchord by a Chinese Resturant (P.F. Changs).

Another 10,800 Sqft Outlet Shopping Center is now getting built, unknow who will be in it.

VooDoo BBQ has backed out again, again.

Another Hotel is approved to be built, bringing our hotel count to 14.

Originally 3 Resturants where proposed, Santa Fe, Logan's, and a 3rd Steakhouse. Now there is talk of a 4th resturant. Unknown who it is at this time.