Town Place Suites (95 rooms)

Americas Best Inns (37 rooms)

Best Western (57 rooms)

Highland Inn (53 rooms)

Cajun Country Inn (??)

Clarion Inn (168 rooms)

Atleast 772 rooms.

That's a glut of hotel rooms.

Maybe they are taking advantage of the contract workers coming soon for the steel mill? That will take at least 3 to 5 years to build.

Who knows? An active hurricane season the next few years would help them too, seeing as how New Orleans evacuates to that region frequently when the orders are given.

Other than the plants, construction, and evacuations, I'm not sure what is driving the demand.

Are there many multi family apartment homes going up in Gonzales and LaPlace?

Edited by cajun

That sure is a lot of rooms...maybe the Balloon Festival will give em' a jolt...

Gonzales Rezones 18-acres

Before a standing room-only audience, the City Council voted 3-1 Monday to rezone an 18-acre parcel from residential to C-2 commercial so Emerson Process Management, a Fortune 500 company, can continue with plans to build a $10 million regional campus expansion project on the site on the north side of West Orice Roth Road.

Emerson Process Management is a St. Louis company that refurbishes and remanufactures valves for industrial plants. The corporation has two sites in the unincorporated areas of the parish, company officials have said.

The company’s expansion would be around 105,000 square feet and include a regional headquarters for Instrument and Valve Services, a subsidiary of Emerson and a training center with a lab to simulate plant control systems. The campus would consolidate six Emerson or subsidiary operations in Louisiana, including the two in the parish. Company officials have said the expansion will bring about 180 permanent jobs to Gonzales with an annual payroll of $9.2 million. Emerson has been in Ascension Parish for 40 years.

http://theadvocate.com/home/3158447-125/gonzales-rezones-18-acres

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a message from Nick with Sportsman park (Cabela's)

Santa Fe Cattle Company & Logan's Roadhouse has a Contract Lease by Cabela's. The third Steakhouse is Pending, and likely closing this month. I talked with the Applebee's GM on Sherwood Forest, he said they are looking to go to gonzales. Rasing Cane's is also looking at the property next to popeye's or the vacant land by metal mart on Hwy 30. There is a 10,000 Sqft Shopping center being built right now that will have either a PF Changs or another Chinese Resturant. I'm good friends with the owner of VooDoo BBQ on Nicholson, and he is looking to go to gonzales also. I'm working my magic now to get him in Sportsman park

The last message i recieved from Tommy with The Crossroads (across from Tanger)

I got a message in november of 2010, that construction would start January 1st, 2011 on Crossroads. Well it hasn't. Tommy did mention to me that Target, Best Buy, Petsmart, Olive Garden, Chick-fil-a, & Cinamark was signed on to be built.

The Whole thing about the Bowling Alley, Arcade, Movie Theatre on Airline. They have started construction on the shopping Center facade.

I would like to see a website dedicated to gonzales, LA just like www.vegastodayandtomorrow.com . Maybe i will start one soon.

Edited by LAWdesigns

Seeing as how busy the area is, many nights, even random weeknights commonly have hour long waits at the couple of places there are to eat in the area. I don't know that they need three steakhouses but PF Chang, Santa Fe, and Logans would do really well in this area. A good Italian joint (I'm looking at you Carino's or Caraba's) would also do really well.

Edited by all2neat

landandfarm.com has alot of the lots online for purchase. I do agree on the Overkill of Hotels, i dont think Lamar is gonna get a concert big enough to pack 18 hotels. The only big events there are, Car Shows, Jewelry Shows, Gun Shows, Monster Truck Shows, & Rodeo's. I haven't seen them attempt a concert yet.

Yesterday morning i was talking to a city Council member about the cities growth, I did mention to him, that Cabela's parkway is a dissapointment. Bass Pro is a year younger than Cabela's and look at that area. There a full, well almost full. its only cabelas, don's, and hotel....how sad. Gonzales, is the biggest Suburb of Baton rouge, and yet there is no movie theatre...which i did mention that needs to be adressed at the meeting next month. I also talked to him how the Roads are horrible inside city limits, and the drainage. Who's bright mind was it, not to put a turn lane on 44 to turn on to 30??? Really. There is a Shortage of Turn lanes inside city limits. Hwy 30 is 3 lanes, how pathetic, it should be 5 lanes. Gonzales Residents only have 7 resturants to eat at. Chili's, Outback, Cracker Barrel, Western Sizzlin, Mike Anderson, Sno's, & El Paso. Why dont we have a Applebee's, Ihop, Ryan's, Lonestar, etc...

I talked to the Council member for at least an hour about problems the city has. He wrote it all down, and prceeded to hand me his card to call him about any other things i saw. So lets hope he can get the Economic growth growing

Edited by LAWdesigns

Gonzales has some planning problems, but as far as retail development.....the I-10 corridor is in competition with the Airline area. Denham is almost completely using the freeway and Range as their main street, so retail growth is more concentrated.

The retail in Gonzales will expand.. It's location between New Orleans and Baton Rouge will ensure it.

And I think when contractors are in town for Nucor, those hotel rooms and rental properties will be filled in LaPlace and Gonzales. The steel mill is a massive project.

Edited by cajun

Gonzales, is the biggest Suburb of Baton rouge, and yet there is no movie theatre...

I realize you like your hometown but let's be honest here:

1) Gonzales has maybe 10,000 people. Maybe.

2) There's not a lot of growth (other than hotels) in Gonzales.

3) There's not a lot of money in Gonzales.

4) Gonzales isn't the nicest looking town in the Baton Rouge MSA which explains points 2 and 3.

It will take time and smart planning to change Gonzales.

Much of Ascension growth is in the northern part of the parish and Prairieville. It doesn't surprise me that Gozales is behind, infrastructure in the city isn't up to par to handle the growth rates that Prairieville is seeing. This is good for the parish though, we are missing lots of retail.

I've never heard of The Crossroads, is this an old proposal being brought back to life?

Ascension has a pop. nearly 110,000....I would like to see how the numbers are divided up... if Prairieville were to be incorporated as a town? Galvez; Duplessis, St.Amant, Dutchtown, etc...

Here is the Crossroads thread started by Dan326 way back... :thumbsup:

http://www.urbanplan...the-crossroads/

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

Ascension has a pop. nearly 110,000....I would like to see how the numbers are divided up... if Prairieville were to be incorporated as a town? Galvez; Duplessis, St.Amant, Dutchtown, etc...

Here is the Crossroads thread started by Dan326 way back... :thumbsup:

http://www.urbanplan...the-crossroads/

Thanks for the link.

Prairieville is around 30k as of a 2009 estimate. Gonzales is just under 10k as of the 2010 census. Donaldsonville is just under 7500. Geismar/Dutchtown have no population information.

I think Prairieville needs to incorporate as a city to further benefit itself.

That area around Gonzales is unincorporated and population figures would only be an estimate.

I had no idea that Gonzales proper only made up that small portion of AP.

Either way....I could easily see more retail and residential development in what I guess I'll call the "Tanger" area.

There are two LED sites in western Ascension parish that I think will be developed into key industrial sites....which could bring thousands of jobs to the area. Hopefully that will happen within the next decade. I'm impressed at the success of LED so far in this area.

Like LAW said, there are plenty of major state and local roads that will have to be improved all over the Parish. I'd hate to see AP ignore the problems faced by Baton Rouge over the years.

Edited by cajun

Personally, I think the area can support the growth. Ascension is more of a grid system so we hopefully can learn from the mistakes of not only BR, but St. Tammany Parish and build up infrastructure at the same pace as the growth. Already key arteries in the area have gone untouched (eg. LA-42) so it seems like we're going down the same path as the others have before us and not learned from their mistakes. One thing that I think is key is adding another major route that parallels Hwy 42, but also connects with I10 and I12. If we could get cooperation with Livingston parish to create a Road connecting the two interstates it would be a major economic boom to both areas.

I believe the crossroads shopping center is a failed project to begin with. Those Town Houses by the interstate really didn't want a shopping center so close to them. I could understand if the crossroads was built by home depot and that huge concret parking lot

Why do you believe it's failed?

You mean that apartment complex. What is the difference? A few annoyed tenants (that will ironically use the shopping center)?

Personally, I think the area can support the growth. Ascension is more of a grid system so we hopefully can learn from the mistakes of not only BR, but St. Tammany Parish and build up infrastructure at the same pace as the growth. Already key arteries in the area have gone untouched (eg. LA-42) so it seems like we're going down the same path as the others have before us and not learned from their mistakes. One thing that I think is key is adding another major route that parallels Hwy 42, but also connects with I10 and I12. If we could get cooperation with Livingston parish to create a Road connecting the two interstates it would be a major economic boom to both areas.

Gonzales is more of a grid system, which isn't growing nearly as fast as Prairieville/Geismar. Northern Ascension has no type of grid system whatsoever. Traffic problems will get worse and worse unless a drastic change is on the horizon. From day one I've said that Hwy 42 itself needs to be extended to I-10 and renamed South/East Highland Rd. Not another road that will end at Airline and then cause another congested intersection like Hwy 73, 42, Highland, etc.

It's a crying shame that there is no exit ramp on I-10 in northern Ascension Parish (other than 73), where the bulk of the traffic is headed, instead the Highland Rd exit is full of cars turning left.

I agree with you about the traffic in Prairieville and the dumbass people who obviously had zero experience or thought in planning for the future.

I was at a meeting with some people about Ascension growth and on the map they were discussing ways to use the land between hwys 74 and 928. There was talk of neighborhoods, amusement parks, a huge industrial park, etc. Not one single person said a thing about HOW you expect people to get there without completely bombarding the Prairieville/Geismar exit. Very discouraging the intelligence (and lack of) of some of our planners for growth.