Gonzales & Ascension Parish

dan326

Best Buy will be lucky to still be in business by the end of 2014 and recently announced 2,000 job cuts. I wouldn't hold my breath for a new store from them. This is a horrible time for new business expansion and will be stagnant until the Obamacare fiasco begins and business can see just what effects on their profit margins are going to be.

One thing Ascension could use is a aggressive Parks commission like BREC.

Edited by itsjustme2

Best Buy will be lucky to still be in business by the end of 2014 and recently announced 2,000 job cuts. I wouldn't hold my breath for a new store from them. This is a horrible time for new business expansion and will be stagnant until the Obamacare fiasco begins and business can see just what effects on their profit margins are going to be.

One thing Ascension could use is a aggressive Parks commission like BREC.

Now that you brought it up, I do remember hearing Best Buy losing money to online sales. It's not financially responsible for them to operate as many storefronts as they do in this recession. I don't think we will see many large scale electronics stores anymore. They may very well begin operating stores a fraction of the size, even in large markets and focus more on online sales.

Can BREC not expand into surrounding parishes? Is this a conflict of interest because of governing bodies?

No! That was the original LeBlanc's. They shut down that one near Jambalaya Shoppe and moved down Airline by Walmart.

Best Buy is a good company and has a huge following. They will always have people buy their products. Especially holidays they get a huge boost! They will expand eventually. Obamacare won't last if the Republicans gain control of Congress after the elections. It would be wayyy better if they got control of the White House AND Congress all together.

But that's enough about politics.

No! That was the original LeBlanc's. They shut down that one near Jambalaya Shoppe and moved down Airline by Walmart.

Best Buy is a good company and has a huge following. They will always have people buy their products. Especially holidays they get a huge boost! They will expand eventually. Obamacare won't last if the Republicans gain control of Congress after the elections. It would be wayyy better if they got control of the White House AND Congress all together.

But that's enough about politics.

I haven't been that way in a good while. Best Buy is not doing good, I doubt they expand at all actually. You will probably see stores closing, even after the recession.

Yeahh I disagree 130% on that, so no politics in this thread or it'll get ugly.

Best Buy is a good company and has a huge following. They will always have people buy their products. Especially holidays they get a huge boost! They will expand eventually.

Companies that lay off 2k employees are not doing well. Best Buy has had awful upper management the past 5 years that resulted in their CEO being fired, plus their customer service is a joke and it's finally caught up to them.

Companies that lay off 2k employees are not doing well. Best Buy has had awful upper management the past 5 years that resulted in their CEO being fired, plus their customer service is a joke and it's finally caught up to them.

I haven't bought an electronic device at bricks and mortar store in at least two years. I order it all online and save a bundle.

I'd buy my groceries online if I could.

These buying trends make you wonder what cities will look like in 20 years, when retail is primarily online and the only need for retail space is niche market shopping, entertainment, restaurants, and groceries. Maybe we can turn the old big box stores into distribution centers.

No argument that the economy looks like it is going backwards. Baton Rouge has weatheredthe storm well before, but unemployment has creeped up in the Capitol area recently, hasn't it?

Edited by cajun

I haven't bought an electronic device at bricks and mortar store in at least two years. I order it all online and save a bundle.

I'd buy my groceries online if I could.

These buying trends make you wonder what cities will look like in 20 years, when retail is primarily online and the only need for retail space is niche market shopping, entertainment, restaurants, and groceries. Maybe we can turn the old big box stores into distribution centers.

No argument that the economy looks like it is going backwards. Baton Rouge has weatheredthe storm well before, but unemployment has creeped up in the Capitol area recently, hasn't it?

You can order grocerys online via Sams and pick up the pallet. Pretty cool service.

Capital region unemployment has gone up. Don't know off the top of my head. The state is up to 7.5 (from 7.0 this spring).

You can order grocerys online via Sams and pick up the pallet. Pretty cool service.

Capital region unemployment has gone up. Don't know off the top of my head. The state is up to 7.5 (from 7.0 this spring).

WOW....there is so many Jobs available right now... My company just hired 10 guys just in my department....and is still searching for Welders for the shop.

WOW....there is so many Jobs available right now... My company just hired 10 guys just in my department....and is still searching for Welders for the shop.

That's great news....and a good sign for Louisiana.

AP is going to benefit from all the industrial sites on the river being developed in the coming decades. The huge new steel mill is not in Ascension, but it will definitely impact the area.

Seems like when the rest of the country struggles a bit, the gulf coast doesn't hurt quite as badly. There are talks of lay offs at my company in Atlanta, and none of our competitors are hiring either. After my current project is complete in March, there isn't much else in the pipeline for me unless something changes before Christmas.

Odd trend.....almost none of our current projects are north of I-40. All of our growth prospects are in Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Arizona and Tennessee.

WOW....there is so many Jobs available right now...

Yeah, must be why the unemployment rate is going up. right?

Odd trend.....almost none of our current projects are north of I-40. All of our growth prospects are in Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Arizona and Tennessee.

And how many of those states are right to work states instead of pro-union?

All of them.

I'd really like to see hwy 73 between Airline and 429 widened to a 4 lane blvd in residential areas and a 5 lane road in commercial areas.

You can add 621 between 73 and Airline, and highway 30 between Tanger and Airline and LA 44 (Burnside) south of La 42 and north of 621 too.

Of course, Airline between Gonzales and BR is too narrow as well. They should do it right, with a 45' wide raised median, side walks, landscaping, bike paths, and brick paver accents....with an overlay district including sign restrictions.

Northern Ascension is a nice suburb, but so unorganized and poorly thought out.

Edited by cajun

I'd really like to see hwy 73 between Airline and 429 widened to a 4 lane blvd in residential areas and a 5 lane road in commercial areas.

You can add 621 between 73 and Airline, and highway 30 between Tanger and Airline and LA 44 (Burnside) south of La 42 and north of 621 too.

Of course, Airline between Gonzales and BR is too narrow as well. They should do it right, with a 45' wide raised median, side walks, landscaping, bike paths, and brick paver accents....with an overlay district including sign restrictions.

Northern Ascension is a nice suburb, but so unorganized and poorly thought out.

Work has begun on Hwy 73, it looks like it's getting partially widened for a new turning lane. There's no commercial areas on Cornerview (429) that would warrant that many lanes. I agree on 621, although it would be nice to widen it to Hwy 44. I agree on Hwy 30 as well. Burnside needs to be 5 lanes in its entirety minus the portion south of Airline. I don't like the new striping on Burnside where two lanes merge into one for the sake of a left turn only lane. That will cause congestion in the future.

Construction on Airline has begun as well, but I couldn't tell you the gist of what they're doing. Looks like it may be widened from 73 to Perkins Rd.

I'd also like if hwy 73 was one connected intersection on Airline. It causes congestion in the morning commute.

Another thing, I'd like to get rid of the Parish Hwy designations for proper street names. Hwy 42 would be South Highland Rd, Hwy 73 would be Jefferson Hwy, Hwy 44 would be North Burnside Ave, Hwy 621 could be Duplessis Blvd or whatever is suitable, Hwy 929 would be Post Office Rd, Hwy 30 would be South Nicholson Dr, and Hwy 74 would be Dutchtown Rd or whatever.

Not sure what Homey Badger has to do with AP but he was an asset more than a liability. Not sure I'm liking Miles' last few decisions with the team.

LSU has everything to do with all that is Baton Rouge. ;)

I'm sure it was a tough decision. I will say this.....kicking an incredible player off the team for not meeting school standards is the right move. Rules apply to everyone.

We aren't Penn State- things won't be buried and forgotten.

Sorry for being off topic.

Road work for Airline Highway in Ascension Parish

BATON ROUGE- Seven miles of Airline Highway in Ascension Parish will be resurfaced and 19 crossovers along the route will be closed.

News 2's Sarah Rosario finds ou how much it will cost, why it's happening and how it will make the road safer for drivers.

Hear drivers reaction about the closures tonight at 6.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/road-work-for-airline-highway-in-ascension-parish/

Maybe this explains something. Haven't found anything on Hwy 73 yet.

Road work for Airline Highway in Ascension Parish

BATON ROUGE- Seven miles of Airline Highway in Ascension Parish will be resurfaced and 19 crossovers along the route will be closed.

News 2's Sarah Rosario finds ou how much it will cost, why it's happening and how it will make the road safer for drivers.

Hear drivers reaction about the closures tonight at 6.

http://www.wbrz.com/...cension-parish/

Maybe this explains something. Haven't found anything on Hwy 73 yet.

That pertains to the section under construction in Gonzales. I wonder what is going on in Prairieville.

http://www.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/us61/

Edited by all2neat