Gonzales & Ascension Parish

dan326

Again, I never suggested that the city of Gonzales buy multiple properties for any reason. But the one we specifically mentioned at Burnside and Airline could be a nice "Welcome to Gonzales" sign and green space.

I do like what Denham has done with that area of Range Ave and would like the same for Burnside and Gonzales. There's even neighborhoods straddling that area that could benefit from historical tax breaks.

I personally wouldn't compare the Denham historic rinky-dink downtown area to this run down gas station.

Is that the one sort of across from that Walgreens?

If that's the case..... I'm not sure what would work there. It's an eyesore, but the plot is too small for a modern gas station, I'm sure it has leaking tanks, and they'll have to cut into it to widen Airline next year.

Might actually be easier to buy it and maintain it as a green space or a park. Maybe one of those preppy "Welcome to Whatever" signs that will impress the yuppies and their larvee as they move into the area over the next decade.....if Gonzales has money burning a hole in their pocket.

I really hope Gonzales adopts sign ordinances soon for Airline. It would really help clean it up. I see a lot more development in that area's very bright future....they won't have much trouble filling the retail spaces.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

I didnt say "i want the city to buy all those properties"

that gas station is a huge eye sore to the enitre city.... I wouldn't mind a Huge ass sign saying "Jamabayla Capital of the World"...

You said you told the city council. Who else would you be telling at a city council meeting? Anyways, this argument is silly.

Gonzales is just too poor and small to attract the type of lifestyle and look that we'd like for it to have.

Instead of bring in fast food joints and hotels, Gonzales would be better off developing a small town community instead of "that place where Tanger Mall is". Could start by having and enforcing business signage and creating a unique business building standard code. Plenty of small cities outside of Louisiana do this, but here, it's non existent. The planning in Louisiana is basically "hey, there's a empty piece of land next to this nice neighborhood, let's put a dollar store or trailer park next to it!".

• Like 1

You said you told the city council. Who else would you be telling at a city council meeting? Anyways, this argument is silly.

Gonzales is just too poor and small to attract the type of lifestyle and look that we'd like for it to have.

Instead of bring in fast food joints and hotels, Gonzales would be better off developing a small town community instead of "that place where Tanger Mall is". Could start by having and enforcing business signage and creating a unique business building standard code. Plenty of small cities outside of Louisiana do this, but here, it's non existent. The planning in Louisiana is basically "hey, there's a empty piece of land next to this nice neighborhood, let's put a dollar store or trailer park next to it!".

true.

Edited by LAWdesigns

• 5 weeks later...

BASF breaking ground on new Geismar production plant today

Global chemicals firm BASF will break ground today on a new formic acid production plant in Geismar that the company says is the first of its kind in North America. A 2 p.m. groundbreaking ceremony will take place to mark the start of construction on the plant, which is part of a roughly $300 million expansion of BASF's Geismar facilities on La. 30. The plant is expected to become operational in the second quarter of 2014. When it does, BASF says, it will allow the company to better serve strategic markets in North and South America, as well as provide applications for pharmaceuticals, energy, animal nutrition, leather and cleaning products. Formic acid is used in a wide range of ways, from de-icing roads and airport runways to industrial cleaning and shale gas exploration. It can even provide protection for animal feed. BASF currently operates two formic acid plants in Germany and China.

• 2 weeks later...

CF Industries announces $2.1B expansion

CF Industries, a major fertilizer maker, is planning to build a $2.1 billion expansion at its nitrogen complex located next to the Mississippi River in Ascension Parish. The capital improvements project is expected to create 93 new jobs with an average salary of $56,500 plus benefits, state economic development officials say. "CF Industries could have invested in another state, but they chose to expand here because of our strong business climate, abundant supply of natural gas, world class infrastructure and incomparable workforce," Gov. Bobby Jindal says. Based in Deerfield, Ill., CF Industries operates seven nitrogen facilities in the U.S. and Canada, and the Donaldsonville site is the largest nitrogen complex in North America, the company says. To land the deal, LED is providing the company an incentive package that includes a $3 million Modernization Tax Credit, payable over five years; a performance-based $2 million Economic Development Loan Program award that is forgivable if the company meets payroll targets; and the services of the LED FastStart workforce development training program.

Businessreport.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...