Unemployment in Greenville Area

cheryl

Someone sent me this article about the unemployment rate in SC. With the influx of new development going on around Greenville, I was surprised. Is the unemployment in Greenville that bad or is the article mainly referriing to other areas, or is it only certain sectors of the labor market? Any information would be helpful as I am moving there soon.

http://news.greenvilleonline.com/blogs/hyd...in_away_sc.html

Cheryl

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the article explained, the losses in the manufacturing industry, particularly in the more rural counties, gives our unemployment figures a big boost. Add to that the fact that SC doesn't have any large metro areas specializing in fast-growing sectors to offset the high unemployment in manufacturing. Locally, however, the unemployment rate in the Greenville metro area is 4.5% according to the latest figures.

Surprisingly enough the Greenville unemployment rate is realitivly low.Greenville has had its share of lost jobs, but it seems that with every lost job more appear.This area is growing very rapidly and a 4.5% unemployment rate is not that bad.

Someone sent me this article about the unemployment rate in SC. With the influx of new development going on around Greenville, I was surprised. Is the unemployment in Greenville that bad or is the article mainly referriing to other areas, or is it only certain sectors of the labor market? Any information would be helpful as I am moving there soon.

http://news.greenvilleonline.com/blogs/hyd...in_away_sc.html

Cheryl

Great news. Thanks for the welcome!

I'll be moving in three to four months. It looks like I may be able to return to my career as a court reporter after an injury. It's still a tad bit uncertain, but I'll know by then for sure, and will be able to resolve my medical situation before I move. I don't want to have a pre-existing condition when I get a new insurance plan. I'm self-employed and must buy my own insurance. My current HMO is not in SC. Anyone know of any good health plans? I have an HSA right now since I'm pretty healthy and don't need to see the doctor a lot.

Great news. Thanks for the welcome!

I'll be moving in three to four months. It looks like I may be able to return to my career as a court reporter after an injury. It's still a tad bit uncertain, but I'll know by then for sure, and will be able to resolve my medical situation before I move. I don't want to have a pre-existing condition when I get a new insurance plan. I'm self-employed and must buy my own insurance. My current HMO is not in SC. Anyone know of any good health plans? I have an HSA right now since I'm pretty healthy and don't need to see the doctor a lot.

Archived