The Fireworks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought there was a good variety of displays. Some new, very colorful displays plus the classics - I really liked the series of about 20 of the super loud flashy ones, the kind you feel in your chest. I guess as one gets older the fireworks aren't as amazing, but the fourth of July wouldn't be the same without them. Glad that GR still has a show!

We were very impressed with the fireworks. It was a nice consistant show. A lot of other shows will typically do one big firework at a time between the bigger sets to stretch them out. GR did that last night, but they shot off 3 at a time so it didn't seem so boring. I thought the finale was impressive, especially the deep chest shaking booms just before the end. My 2 year old also enjoyed them very much :)

Oh yeah, we were sitting on the hill in front of the presidential museum

i sat across the street from the U-Grind and saw only 1/4 of the fireworks because most of them were close to the ground; the trees lining the river were blocking my view.... you'd think with THAT many people coming to see them and a limited viewing area, they'd want to get them up as high as possible.

i too, have seen better fireworks. Grandville's last year were really good.

We watched a little of it on WGVU, and could hear it from our house. Looked pretty impressive to me, especially considering (as Rhino said) it was DONATED by private companies and individuals. :thumbsup: It was cool last night because we could SEE some of EGR's fireworks from our backyard patio, and we could HEAR the constant low rumble of downtown's fireworks.

ive seen many firework displays in my time and in all honesty that was the BEST finale i have ever seen!!

I wish I could coordinate the display... I'd do it to the 1812 overture (imagine speakers placed all over the city and fireworks being launched from four sides oh lala)

I was DT at AAP wearing a volunteer shirt (natch) and had a great view. (They asked us to line the edge of the stage to prevent small children and other spectators from interfering with the PA system tear-down.)

If you were in a different location, you missed the simulcast music...Ray Charles sang about "purple mountains" while that color blossomed overhead...just prior to the grand finale came the final passage of the "1812 Overture," and the GF was accompanied by Sousa (guess which piece?!).

Besides the free popsicles (we had a ton of extras) the crowd was treated to beach balls, T-shirts, fireworks viewing thingies (prismatic lenses on a stick) and some excellent entertainment. I particularly liked the "Boogie Woogie Babies" channeling the Andrews sisters.

Staying home on one's rooftop deck has its advantages regarding crowds and parking, but that's why I was pedalling.

Ed Kettle and co. did a phenomenal job.

ford7-4.jpg

Ran into Tony enjoying this vista.

river-1.jpg

The leash kids were out.

leashkids.jpg

Found me some handsome men in uniform.

pedalpigs.jpg

Radio station video game: Guitar hero (Love the kid's hairstyle)

guitars.jpg

View through the Fireworks Viewer lens

lens.jpg

Maybe I should start hauling around that tripod

twilight.jpg

stage.jpg

http://www.ifilm.com/profile/veloise/video/2872085

Would that be "Stars and Stripes Forever?" Does anybody actually know the lyrics?

Hurrah for the flag of the free!

May it wave as our standard forever,

The gem of the land and the sea,

The banner of the right.

Let despots remember the day

When our fathers with mighty endeavor

Proclaimed as they marched to the fray

That by their might and by their right

It waves forever.

I thought they were great. The thing about DT fireworks isn't so much the show itself, but the context of the show. I've seen those world class gucci fireworks at the Hot Air Balloon festival in Battle Creek several times, and those don't compare to the DT GR ones because of context. Watching waterfalls of colours run up and down the Amway and JW with each firework was a show in and of itself. I really don't know which I was watching more, the reflections or the fireworks themselves.

With that said, I'm glad they do it there in the low part of the valley, and don't launch them higher.

I miss the GR fireworks. I was up in Harbor Springs and there was so much fog the fireworks just turned the entire sky different colors, but you couldn't actually see the explosions. It was cool at first, but the novelty wore off quickly. Bay Harbor had their fireworks the previous night, but they weren't as good as past years.

Downtown Petoskey has been alive all week. I'm typing this from a coffee shop downtown and there are people everywhere. Boyne City still has the best activities with the raft race and an actual soap box derby. I missed Horton Bay's parade this year.

For those of you who love fireworks you NEED to check out the Coast Guard Festival fireworks in Grand Haven Aug 4. They are incredible. You've never seen fireworks like these. Plus the setting is amazing. They launch from the riverbank as well as up on the hill so you have multiple levels of going at the same time. You will not be dissappointed!

For those of you who love fireworks you NEED to check out the Coast Guard Festival fireworks in Grand Haven Aug 4. They are incredible. You've never seen fireworks like these. Plus the setting is amazing. They launch from the riverbank as well as up on the hill so you have multiple levels of going at the same time. You will not be dissappointed!

Archived