July 4th over Charlotte

Mobuchu

I setup on Wendover Rd. by the tracks (accross from Home Depot) about an hour before the fireworks started. I'm glad I got there so early because there was a line of people to watch the fireworks on both sides of the road by the time it started. This is the first time I've really shot fireworks but they came out ok (kinda dark). The gentleman who is doing the cover for the Observer tomorrow got there about the same time I did and was right next to me shooting, so pick up the paper tomorrow to see a profesional shot, lol. Real nice guy though and he gave me a couple pointers. Anyway, here are a few of them, visit here for more.

7-4-07

81698785.jpg

81698789.jpg

81698800.jpg

81698802.jpg

81698806.jpg

81698926.jpg

81698929.jpg

81698930.jpg

81698933.jpg

81698939.jpg

81698940.jpg

81698941.jpg

81698942.jpg

81698958.jpg

81698959.jpg

81698962.jpg

81698963.jpg

81698964.jpg

81698965.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the haze you are seeing is smoke from the fireworks. The sky was pretty clear. I'm glad to see that everything went off without a hitch. There were about 50 arrests made but no major incidents. One AK-47 was taken off the streets and that was the worst arrest there was. Hopefully next year, they will ramp the event up even more since CMPD showed how well they could handle trouble makers this time. Mayor McCrory said he was very satisfied with their presence and response.

Nice pics Mo, as usual. Looks like these would be ideal for the July Photo Contest. So anyone else who has urban Charlotte 4th of July celebratory photos (they don't necessarily have to be of fireworks) PM them to me by the 10th!

O, and Mo, btw, you're in the paper! (at least on charlotte.com)

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/...ffiliate.57.JPG

great shots, mo. i think some of your photos are better than what i'm seeing in the observer...

i usually watch the show from independence park and did so again this year. every year the crowd there gets bigger and bigger. i thought the show itself was one of the better ones yet - in charlotte.

Great shots Mo. Which lens is that?

I unfortunately wasn't able to catch the urban show, attending WBT's Skyshow out in good ol' York County instead. Knights game was really good, but the fireworks felt sterile as they lacked any context. Given WBT's anti-urban/transit/diversity mentality, it was everything I could have expected out of a suburban Charlotte event: lots of cars, traffic and a good hour long wait to snake down the one and only road leading away from the stadium.

[begin off topic]

Funny aside though, WBT crafted up their own "mass transit" effort, offering a free shuttle out to the Knight's Castle from Carolina Place Mall. An hour before the game, the line in the Dillards parking lot was probably a good 200-250 people, some of which had been waiting for quite a while. I think they were running a 3 or 4 tour bus fleet. Following the game, and the hour we waited to get out of the parking lot, the line for the buses was even longer then the line I saw before the game, well over 350 people. For all of the grief their personalities give the "uptown crowd" and "McCrory highway", I give their effort a D+.

[end off topic]

I'm glad to see that everything went off without a hitch. There were about 50 arrests made but no major incidents. One AK-47 was taken off the streets and that was the worst arrest there was. Hopefully next year, they will ramp the event up even more since CMPD showed how well they could handle trouble makers this time. Mayor McCrory said he was very satisfied with their presence and response.

Looks like the number of arrests is now up to 169 for the event. That is an amazing number of arrests IMO and either shows that CMPD is either overly aggressive in arresting or there are truly a lot of trouble makers wondering the streets of Charlotte.

I personally didn't see anyone get arrested but when I was going through Uptown after the fireworks ended I couldn't believe how many cops were out. I use to go to the fireworks show in Detroit (which is much bigger) and it seemed that there were just as many cops as for that event.

Looks like the number of arrests is now up to 169 for the event. That is an amazing number of arrests IMO and either shows that CMPD is either overly aggressive in arresting or there are truly a lot of trouble makers wondering the streets of Charlotte.

Reading the list; its seems like they were a little overaggressive. Sounds like a bunch of people have fun to me, not people trying to break the law. Now in the cases of possession of concealed weapons, cocaine, and etc, those are different stories. The number that a good journalist would be pointing out is the one at the bottom, one arrest for simple assault. This is the Charlotte Disturber however I have not learned to expect good journalism from them. Oh and Eric, Great pix as usual, and nice cameo on charlotte.com you dog.

22 arrests for "impeding traffic" (jaywalking), 22 for curfew violations... the numbers are a tad juiced, aren't they? But that doesn't necessarily mean the police are overly aggressive, just that they weren't putting up with B.S. last night. If you don't want to get arrested, don't break the law in public.

I am glad there were no disturbances in Uptown over the 4th and the police should be given credit for that. I don't agree with McCrory's "gangster look" characterization of some of the celebrants, the majority of whom caused no trouble whatsoever. The last time I checked there was no Charlotte dress code. I guess the only way McCrory would be happy is if everybody Uptown dressed and looked like members of The Myers Park Country Club. He should go be the leader of that organization and not Mayor of a diverse city.

It was widely announced beforehand that the CMPD would take a "zero tollerance" stand at this event, and it looks like they did. It may be viewed as too harsh, but everything they cited people for was a legitimate offense.

I also agree with police strategy. I am also glad the McCrory is taking heat for "gangster look" characterizations. I may not like that fashion style but not everyone who wears a long white shirt and baggy pants is a "gangster" black,white, or purple. If McCrory is our new fashion police chief I have not heard him be critical of some of the majority white Speed Street attendants who wear halter tops or daisy dukes. Are they "gangster" too or is that label just for black kids?

^ Are these the same people who avoid uptown because of all the "riots" that happen there?

BTW, McCrory's comments are being taken out of context. This is the full sentence: "Too many of our youth, primarily African American, are imitating and/or participating in a gangster style of dress, attitude, behavior and action".

I don't think there's much room to disagree with him on that point.

Ken White, the leader of the Charlotte Branch of the NAACP wants Pat McCrory to apologize for his statement of "too many of our youth, primarily African-American, are imitating and/or participating in a gangster type of dress, attitude, behavior and action." He made the announcement today and plans on sending a letter as well. White said, "everyone is aware that black people have been saddled with many negative stereotypes from the first day our descendants stepped on this continent. Mr. McCrory's comments reinforce that stereotype to many in our community, especially those inclined to hold onto racist thinking and behavior. Mr. McCrory took a group of black youth that were causing a disturbance on July 4 without regard for the many, and I am sure the majority of African American youth, who were peacefully enjoying the celebration."

Ugh....this is why racial ties never get better....because the NAACP choses to make a political stand rather than admit the truth.

If McCrory said, I'm bored to tears driving through South Charlotte because of the over-weight, white, Brooks Brother dressed citizens, and this city won't be attractive to the creative class because of this bland category of citizen, I wouldn't be offended at all.

He could have also said, those white, rednecks, who apparantly don't have jobs blocking the construction entrace to the Whitewater park are wasting taxpayer money and are dillusional.....I wouldn't have found a problem with that.

Let's call a spade and spade, and stop needing to be so damn PC all the time. From what I've heard, it IS primarily African American youths that are acting intimidating downtown. When his statements aren't true, then they are racist, but until then, for the safety of everyone, the police need to focus their efforts on whoever is creating problems, and not worry about if they are offending overly-sensative groups that have a political agenda.

I disagree. I think McCrory should apologize. He won't though because he is too arrogant. McCrory has a pattern of generalizing about minorities in Charlotte: African Americans and Gays in particular. The Uptown 4th of July celebration may attract a majority African American crowd but most of them were well behaved and acted no differently than their white contemporaries. In all honesty the Mayor holds the same views as Bill James regarding minority issues he is just more "political" about it usually, no pun intended.

One of the main issues with oragnizations such as the NAACP is that istead of going after real issues in the black comunity they go after the easy things that dont matter nor help black people in this country. Just this week the NAACP barried the n word in Detroit and even had the mayor out there, now im pretty sure especially Detriot have bigger issues in the black comunity that a word. Sorry for the rant but even I believe yesterday there was more outrage about a beyonce costume than a black man shotting a cop in the face, again all goes back to avoiding the real issues and trying to help people and going after the lil things.

Way to go Pat McCrory. The same thing happens year after year. If these black "leaders" cared anything about the black community, they would have been out trying to prevent this behavior well before the 4th ever rolled around. If we could just get the courts and jails to adopt the same zero tollerance policy as CMPD, then maybe we'd start removing the problems from our streets long term.

We are lucky to have this guy as the record holder for time in office. I just hope he grooms a successor before he moves on.

Archived