What is your favorite building in need of renovation?

michaelskis

In other threads mentioning the old brewery, truck depot, Blodgett building, and many others, people have mentioned "This is one of my favorites and I hoped that someone would save this building". So now I am asking, what are your favorite buildings that are in need of renovation?

For me, It is the white multistory on Fulton across from One Trick Pony. The elements of this building are so intriguing but at the least, it is in need of a face lift.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In other threads mentioning the old brewery, truck depot, Blodgett building, and many others, people have mentioned "This is one of my favorites and I hoped that someone would save this building". So now I am asking, what are your favorite buildings that are in need of renovation?

For me, It is the white multistory on Fulton across from One Trick Pony. The elements of this building are so intriguing but at the least, it is in need of a face lift.

Man...so many to choose from.

1) Cell tower building -- out of towners see it when going through DT, and it is awful looking

2) JA building. I thought about the Keeler building, but this building has more of an effect on Fulton & Division and people's perception from this gate to the center city.

3) Rowe Hotel

The hideous, windowless charcoal gray granite "law office" at the corner of Diamond and Cherry. Chris Knape did a story recently on the willful blindness of the guy who runs/owns the place. Where's a Molotov coctkail when you need one?

Thank you Zen...I see this every day and wonder what that guy is thinking. He filled in the glass windows with dark gray brick and installed a steel door years back, and hasn't done ANYTHING to maintain the building (graffiti there from who knows when)

Oops - actually, my favorite would be the Keeler Building. It was in great shape on the inside in the late '60s and early '70s. It was cool to have an elevator old enough that we actually had an elevator operator who doubled as the "Avon Lady"!

IIRC, the address is 100 Commerce, I forget the sign on the front of it, but its just across from Cooley law school something "tools"

In fact just about everything on commerce, including the street itself is in dire need of an overhaul.

edit: 200 commerce...

Old Manor, definately.

I'd also really like to see the JA Building and the Kendall building fixed up. I think, that those two buildings combined with the future UICA and a re-do of the sidewalk outside the Kendall building could really be what it takes to turn MonroeC & Division from the 'end' of downtown to a halfway point. Every time I walk down MonroeC and I get there, I just imagine that people would turn around and head back. Fix that area up, and I bet you people would start venturing down Division.

1. Nasty S-curve cell tower buidling... I'm thinking hanging gardens of Babylon... replace the tower with a mature maple, fill in with arborvitae, creeping wall cover... so many ways to make a statement with this building. An easy positive landmark. Is it still structurally sound??? It looks like it has a lot of hodge-podge window fill and mortar??

2. JA building How this hasn't been redone is beyond me. Wasn't there talk a while back about "finishing the original prints" making it a 6 story per the '50's drawings? It's great the "zero's" on our address grid have am empty lot, an unoccupied delopidated gem, and a near windowless GRPD.

Archived