Major League Sports in Alabama

Alabadrock

So, what I'm creating this thread for is to discuss the possibility, if there is one, of Alabama getting a major league sports team. I remember Larry Langford was looking at attracting an NBA team to Birmingham, but, I haven't heard anything about it.

What I'm looking for is, where would one work? Would one work at all? What would it be named? Which sport would it be?

Studies of the Birmingham Area have shown that they can support all but an MLB team. I'm confident that those studies are completely correct. As crazy as it may seem, I think the city could support an NHL team. The area could definitely support an NBA team. NFL, I'm fighting on that one. Alabama is VERY passionate about football, but, it seems anything other than college teams would be "second rate" to some fans. I dunno, maybe if the team were to some how find a way to unite all the qualities and traditions of schools like Alabama, Auburn, UAB, and Troy, the state would be up and ready to support it wholeheartedly. But, of course, Alabama is highly unlikely to get a team before somewhere like Los Angeles.

As for naming the teams, here's what mine would be for each of the four largest metro areas, or rather CSAs.

* Birmingham

NFL - Birmingham Vulcans

NBA - Alabama Dixons

NHL - Birmingham Magicians

* Mobile

NFL - Mobile Admirals

NBA - Mobile Mardis Gras

NHL - Gulf Ice

* Huntsville - Decatur

NFL - Huntsville Rockets

NBA - Tennessee Valley Aeronautics

NHL - Tennessee Valley Snow Melt

* Montgomery

NFL - Alabama Dixons

NBA - Montgomery Rivers

NHL - Alabama Southern Snow

Yes, some VERY corny names, but, some existing ones already are. Opinions anyone??

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is any professionals sports teams it would be in Birmingham. As it is the only DMA that is in the Top 50, with 2 million households. These days the only way a market can be considered for a pro team is based on its DMA, and surrounding region. However, the longer we wait in this state to get one get behind the idea of pro sports, the harder it at 1. Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, and Atlanta will continue to make it even harder for us to get them because that will be money out of their coffers.

If there is any professionals sports teams it would be in Birmingham. As it is the only DMA that is in the Top 50, with 2 million households. These days the only way a market can be considered for a pro team is based on its DMA, and surrounding region. However, the longer we wait in this state to get one get behind the idea of pro sports, the harder it at 1. Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, and Atlanta will continue to make it even harder for us to get them because that will be money out of their coffers.

It all really depends on the fan base. I don't know many people that REALLY enjoy cheering too much for an out of state pro team that's nearby. Well, that is, except for the Braves. The Titans have an OK fan base in North Alabama, then, I think it's probably the Saints that hold the rest of the state, but, don't hold me to it.

The city just needs to go out there and say,"Hey, we want an (NBA, NFL, NHL) team, what do we need to do to get one. You tell us, we'll do it." I don't think it's a question of if people will support it or not, I think it's a question of how much we're willing to work to get one.

Well, that all depends on business community in Birmingham, at the moment they really could care less. The only current major figure that talks is the CEO of Alabama Power, but interesting enough the CEO of the newly dubbed Regions Financial Corp. is mum on anything. The other 5 Fortune 1000 head figures are also mum as well. Until they decide to do something other than just the city as placeholder there won't be anything happening.

We need to get some public figure talking about attracting an NBA team here. In my mind, that's the best place to start, if we wanna get anything. Everyone has to have a starting place. NBA is a good one. People would support it, and, as far as I know, it's not too terribly expensive to go and see. We have the space for it, I think. It would work, that's all I know.

Yeah, as I said before nobody cares. I also really believe that NBA would prosper in Birmingham also, as it seems so many NBA stars do seem to have Alabama connections. Also the current BJCC arena could be temporary home for the team until an actual up-to-par facility is built.

Birmingham should definitely be a target for some kind of major league sports expansion. Using football for example, the WFL and USFL teams in Birmingham were among the top teams in attendance in those leagues. The Birmingham DMA is larger than that of several cities with major league sports teams: Memphis, Buffalo, Jacksonville, New Orleans, and Green Bay (I may have missed some). I'd love to see Legion Field get a major makeover and become the home of an NFL team, although a new stadium might be a requirement to land a team.

Corporate Sponsorship, luxury boxes, season ticket sales, it all has a lot to do with it. If the NBA expands in the states, then Vegas is definitely the most attractive unfilled market. I think the NBA was making a statement when they held the All Star Game there this year. At one time I believed that if professional sports were to come to Bham, the NBA would make the most sense, especially after the Grizzlies moved to Memphis. I'm not so sure now, however. I definitely think Oklahoma City has shown itself to be a strong market based on how well they supported the Hornets (you have to wonder if that could have been Bham if an arena as nice as the Ford Center was built there. See what happens when MAPS works?) Then you have unfilled markets like San Jose, Louisville (a basketball crazy city, and they're building a new arena), San Diego and St. Louis just to name a few, that are all seemingly more attractive than Birmingham. David Stern seems more interested in expanding the NBA globally anyway. I don't think MLS would work in Birmingham either. Plus, there's about 20 markets the MLS would expand to before it ever reached Birmingham. I think the NFL would have plenty of fan support, but Birmingham missed it's chance there. I honestly think the best Birmingham can hope for is an Arena One Team. This is certainly a stretch, but I think the best chance that Alabama has at landing a big time pro sports team is if the Saints leave New Orleans and Mobile agrees to build a new stadium and they relocate and become the Gulf Coast Saints. I've heard this same scenario said about Mississippi in an ESPN article. I'd have to assume that if it could be a possibility for the Mississippi Coast it could be a possibility for the Alabama Coast as well. Like I said though, that would be a huge stretch. Also about the AAFL, I don't think that's going to be a good indicator as to how well professional sports could do in Alabama. Ultimately, I think it will flop like every other league has done. The only reason Arena Football is successful is because it's played in smaller venues and it adds a unique aspect to the game. I love football but I don't want to watch guys play that have already graduated college and were not good enough to make it to the NFL. What is going to make this league different from the WFL,USFL,WLAF,CFL and XFL? The fact that the guys that play for that city's team will have connections to in state universities? I think it takes more than than.

Corporate Sponsorship, luxury boxes, season ticket sales, it all has a lot to do with it. If the NBA expands in the states, then Vegas is definitely the most attractive unfilled market. I think the NBA was making a statement when they held the All Star Game there this year. At one time I believed that if professional sports were to come to Bham, the NBA would make the most sense, especially after the Grizzlies moved to Memphis. I'm not so sure now, however. I definitely think Oklahoma City has shown itself to be a strong market based on how well they supported the Hornets (you have to wonder if that could have been Bham if an arena as nice as the Ford Center was built there. See what happens when MAPS works?) Then you have unfilled markets like San Jose, Louisville (a basketball crazy city, and they're building a new arena), San Diego and St. Louis just to name a few, that are all seemingly more attractive than Birmingham. David Stern seems more interested in expanding the NBA globally anyway. I don't think MLS would work in Birmingham either. Plus, there's about 20 markets the MLS would expand to before it ever reached Birmingham. I think the NFL would have plenty of fan support, but Birmingham missed it's chance there. I honestly think the best Birmingham can hope for is an Arena One Team. This is certainly a stretch, but I think the best chance that Alabama has at landing a big time pro sports team is if the Saints leave New Orleans and Mobile agrees to build a new stadium and they relocate and become the Gulf Coast Saints. I've heard this same scenario said about Mississippi in an ESPN article. I'd have to assume that if it could be a possibility for the Mississippi Coast it could be a possibility for the Alabama Coast as well. Like I said though, that would be a huge stretch. Also about the AAFL, I don't think that's going to be a good indicator as to how well professional sports could do in Alabama. Ultimately, I think it will flop like every other league has done. The only reason Arena Football is successful is because it's played in smaller venues and it adds a unique aspect to the game. I love football but I don't want to watch guys play that have already graduated college and were not good enough to make it to the NFL. What is going to make this league different from the WFL,USFL,WLAF,CFL and XFL? The fact that the guys that play for that city's team will have connections to in state universities? I think it takes more than than.

Although Oklahoma City did do well, I doubt they will get a NBA franchise before Birmingham. There is also the high likelihood that Mavericks' owner, Mark Cuban, will do everything in his power to block that due OKC being a major contributor to the Maverick fanbase. I've read in a number of market trade magazines and websites like Mediaweek that supports the fact that Birmingham DMA has a very large fanbase for NBA. Our current problem around here is the lack of investors that wants to foot the bill to create or relocate a NBA franchise.

Well, regardless that really has nothing to do with Birmingham not being able get a pro sport franchise. The lack of an efficient up-to-par facility being built and investor(s) are what is keeping us from getting a franchise.

Right, but that was my point on Oklahoma City. The city had everything it needed to attract an NBA team and it proved itself to be a solid market. If Birmingham had the pieces in place I think it could prove itself to be just as solid as OKC, but it doesn't. If Birmingham wants any type of major league sports team it's going to have to be very aggressive.

Archived