Europeans have it much better than Americans these days.

monsoon

this was true in the US until fairly recently and is still true in many other countries around the world, and you won't see or hear the women complaining about it. many like it that way. it's what they're used to. the american lifestyle is not the definition of what lifestyle should be for everyone in the world.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked at a Japanese owned company for several years. The owners thought of their wives as essentially property that cooks for them and raises their children. When we had company functions, their wives were to be seen, not heard. I had the vice-president of the company tell me flat out that for Japanese men, priorities are as follows: 1. work, 2. personal enjoyment, 3. family. Basically, family responsibilities are the wife's job, the man provides the income. Sounds like a very fulfilling life if you happen to have a vagina in Japan.

The World Bank lists the United States as #3 (2005) in Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) behind Luxembourg and Bermuda. It also has the U.S. as #7 (2005) in GNI per capita behind Luxembourg, Norway, Swizerland, Bermuda, Iceland, and Denmark.

I don't know everyone's opinion on the World Bank relative to the CIA, but it is another source, none the less.

Sure, there are some men who feel that way here, but it isn't the norm anymore. You simply refuse to admit that America has any good qualities if you can argue gender equality in Japan and the US is equivalent.

If "by almost any measure" America sucks, please provide a source for these measures. We are the most diverse, open minded culture in the world, despite all of our faults, there isn't another country that compares in those respects. Europeans are every bit as racist as Americans, if not more, in my experience. Japan is very racist towards other cultures and they are sexist as hell. They truly believe they are superior to other races, with Africans being one notch above an ape.

Our economy is solid and the majority of Americans are doing well. I am very disheartened by the amount of consumer debt in this country and I'm worried about the future economy of our country as a result. However, I refuse to look at everything with a doomsday view and a self-loathing attitude.

Say one nice thing about this country, I know you can do it.

In regards to this topic it's irrelevant. You are confusing choice with standard of living. They are not the same. You can also stop with the personal attacks. Nobody has said anything about diversity, opportunity, and other items that you are bringing up that have nothing to do with this topic. Sorry but you are the one hitting the ball into the wrong field here and if you can't stick to the subject at hand, the please go elsewhere.

There was nothing inadvertant about it. If a person doesn't want to work hard, they have no right to succeed. As a culture I feel like we should reward those that work hard and take care of those that are not able to, such as children, the elderly and the disabled. However, I do feel we still have a long way to go to fully reach that end.

Metro.m, I am confused by the progression of this thread. Was it based on economic differences between countries, quality of life standards, or equality standards? The reason I ask is because yes, Americans are behind most the world when it comes to saving money, reducing and limiting the use of debt, however the quality of life and equality issues in the US is far better than in Asian countries.

The difference in incomes for females and males is far less than in many other countries and ALL Asian countries.

More so, a kid who is impoverished here can make it big and be a millionaire by the time he hits 30... in Asia you have to get past a class system that will prevent you from getting beyond where your father is. That is one of the reasons that so many people move to the US.

I don't believe that you have a sister who works in Tokyo, because from what you said, I don't think that you know much about Asian cultures.

Metro.m, I am confused by the progression of this thread. Was it based on economic differences between countries, quality of life standards, or equality standards? The reason I ask is because yes, Americans are behind most the world when it comes to saving money, reducing and limiting the use of debt, however the quality of life and equality issues in the US is far better than in Asian countries.

The difference in incomes for females and males is far less than in many other countries and ALL Asian countries.

More so, a kid who is impoverished here can make it big and be a millionaire by the time he hits 30... in Asia you have to get past a class system that will prevent you from getting beyond where your father is. That is one of the reasons that so many people move to the US.

I don't believe that you have a sister who works in Tokyo, because from what you said, I don't think that you know much about Asian cultures.

Again, has a chance. Sure they have a chance to hit it bigger. But they also have a lot larger chance to fail miserably. That's the difference. You are right that many people do come to the US, because they believe that the streets are paved with gold and everyone who makes a half-way decent effort is going to lead the good life. Then they come to find out that it doesn't work that way. A few get to hit it big. Most rarely get that far - they get caught up in all the problems, all the struggles to make it big. They don't have the self-centered motivation to fight for better positions. So what happens? If they are lucky enough to realize this and have something left, they might move back home. But since most gave up what little they had just to get here, going back isn't really an option. So they form their own communities, live the best way they figure out. Sometimes that jives with how American's live. Sometimes, not. You were quite upset over illegal immigrants, and yet you now use that as a kind of badge of honor. Where do you think those poor immigrants come from?

Asia is a huge area with lots of different cultures. There are some that are quite oppressive. There are some that are quite forward thinking and visionary. I am glad that you see your life, and the country you live in, as such a successful, wonderful place. Alas that is not how everyone here sees it. You may have been lucky, you may had had everything go your way. for some, that's not the case. Just because it was realtively easy for you, does makke it actually achievable for everyone. I can't change your priorities in life, All I can do is point out that your priorities may not be the priorities for everyone else.

We're not bashing the USA. We just want it to be the best. Recognizing that other countries do things better than us at some things isn't unpatriotic; it's the truth. Just like the world could learn a lot from us, we could learn a lot from the world.

More paid leave days from work, yes, but most European nations rate lower than the United States in per capita Gross National Income. So while they have more days for vacation, on average they may have less money to spend for vacation. To compound this, the cost of living in many major European cities is very high.

No thanks, I think I'll stay here.

To most people in the world, money isn't everything. Money is only everything to some Americans (read: CAPITALISTS). If I had a job lined up, I would move overseas or to Canada in a New York minute! Michael Moore's movie Sicko only makes me want to move even more! :huh:

Sorry, I didn't know you had it so bad, I wish you all the best. Canada's unemployement rate stands at 6.1 percent, a thirty year low. In comparison the U.S. is at 4.5 percent. Europe might be your best bet, maybe try Scotland, last year they were at 5.3 percent. Good luck in your quest. :thumbsup:

Yes, but as others have pointed out many times, comparing unemployment numbers is misleading because the US numbers ignore many people that would be counted in other countries. US figures count only those currently receiving unemployment benefits, which only last a short time and have many restrictions on who qualifies. Most countries count all able-bodied adults without a job, and many countries also include underemployed workers in their figures. In the US you are not "unemployed" if you greet at Wal Mart one or two days a week. In many countries someone in that situation would be elegible for benefits, and therefore counted.

Now who's making assumptions: If you're a greeter at Wal Mart you're "probably retired?" If you are working such a menial job to make ends meet you are not "retired," regardless of your age or what the government says. You're assumng that other countries count "undocumented workers," which is a fallacy on several levels. For one, if they are receiving benefits here, they are indeed counted. For another, if they are not receiving benefits due to their illegal status, adding them in would increase the unemployment rate, not reduce it. For a third, what makes you think European countries include undocumented workers in their figures (how could they, if said workers are undocumented)?

Sure, every country has its own way of calculating unemployment rates. That is precisely why comparing such numbers, as you did above, is meaningless. It is well known (and readily acknowledged by conservatives when convenient to their argument) that most European countries are far more generous with unemployment benefits than is the US. Of coure their figures are higher.

Now who's making assumptions: If you're a greeter at Wal Mart you're "probably retired?" If you are working such a menial job to make ends meet you are not "retired," regardless of your age or what the government says. You're assumng that other countries count "undocumented workers," which is a fallacy on several levels. For one, if they are receiving benefits here, they are indeed counted. For another, if they are not receiving benefits due to their illegal status, adding them in would increase the unemployment rate, not reduce it. For a third, what makes you think European countries include undocumented workers in their figures (how could they, if said workers are undocumented)?

Sure, every country has its own way of calculating unemployment rates. That is precisely why comparing such numbers, as you did above, is meaningless. It is well known (and readily acknowledged by conservatives when convenient to their argument) that most European countries are far more generous with unemployment benefits than is the US. Of coure their figures are higher.

i don't know what kind of retired people you know, but most of the ones i know would never even consider working at walmart. you don't get benefits working 2 days a week by the way, unless by benefits you mean $7 an hour... which equates to maybe $100 a week, assuming they're working 8 hour shifts.

I never implied that European countries count undocumented workers. The fact that we have a huge number of illegal immigrants as compared to Europe, it only makes sense that we have more workers on payrolls than are counted. Illegal immigrants don't come over here to go on welfare; they come here for jobs that are readily available. It only makes sense to believe that they would have a lower unemployment rate than documented workers. Is that a fact, no, but it would seem likely or why are they coming here?

Have you ever been to Wal-Mart? Most of the greeters are of retirement age and if they are not, they are probably just supplementing their income, so they would be employed elsewhere.

As for the unemployment rates, if they are irrelevant then why have them? I guess most liberals would have you believe that an 8.1 percent unemployment rate in France is the same or better than 4.5 percent in the U.S...

Archived