El Pollo Loco

Sonrise

Hi,

I briefly mentioned them in a food thread in city-data and wanted everyones opinion. My wife and I are ecstatic with the news that Chipotle will be coming to town soon in MPTC. It will greatly enhance the qsr (quick service restaurant) options in the area. I for one think that Moes, is the most disgusting place in the world, but I digress.

El Pollo Loco is a very well know chicken place in Cal. Az. and Nevada and they are agressively expanding. The're already in Tx and I just read on their website that coming this fall they'll be opening in Ill. RI and 3 in the Atlanta area.

I'm trying to decide if we would be a good market for this restaurant. They're demos are rather unique, split almost equally between the hispanic market and the upper middle class. They're food is outstanding by the way. Absolutely delicious. Describing it won't do them justice so if you guys could spend a few minutes on their website before you give me feedback, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

http://www.elpolloloco.com/index.html

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

I briefly mentioned them in a food thread in city-data and wanted everyones opinion. My wife and I are ecstatic with the news that Chipotle will be coming to town soon in MPTC. It will greatly enhance the qsr (quick service restaurant) options in the area. I for one think that Moes, is the most disgusting place in the world, but I digress.

El Pollo Loco is a very well know chicken place in Cal. Az. and Nevada and they are agressively expanding. The're already in Tx and I just read on their website that coming this fall they'll be opening in Ill. RI and 3 in the Atlanta area.

I'm trying to decide if we would be a good market for this restaurant. They're demos are rather unique, split almost equally between the hispanic market and the upper middle class. They're food is outstanding by the way. Absolutely delicious. Describing it won't do them justice so if you guys could spend a few minutes on their website before you give me feedback, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

http://www.elpolloloco.com/index.html

Awesome,

another crazy chicken fan! My wife is 5 1/2 months pregnant and she misses them sooooooo much. The food is fantastic. I think they're big on territorial rights. It looks like the Atlanta area is already spoken for so the upstate and Charlotte would be a nice territory. Gotta couple a million I can borrow? lol

Wow, Dan. I posted right after you did, so I'm going back and editing. I thought that I had read that somewhere. Do you know why they didn't succeed the 1st time? That's kinda scary. Maybe they and the market are a better match this time around. Are their examples of franchises failing in a particular market, for whatever reason, and then succeeding a second time around? Not just here but anywhere? Thank you

Thanks, Danmire...I was thinking someone had mentioned that there had already been an El Pollo Loco here and that it left the market, much like Max & Erma's. I used to frequent El Pollo Loco on South Semoran in Orlando quite a bit. I think they bailed out of that market, too. They had some stiff competition there from the "local" chain, Pollo Tropical, though. I'm not sure who would really constitute competition for them here... :unsure:

Senior Wraps had been there for the past five years. It had been something else before we moved here, and it makes sense that El Pollo Loco is what that something else was. I think there was even a Miami Subs or two in town here at one time?

I think that site was originally a Hardees, then hardees tried to bring El Pollo Loco into the area and changed it to an El Pollo Loco. This was in the late 90's. It probably would do pretty good now if it came back into the area.

Pollo Tropical is excellent! :thumbsup: I try to eat there on a regular basis when doing business in South Florida. I would think they could make a go of it here. Their food is on the healthy side (being grilled and being mainly chicken / bean / vegetable), so I could see Greenvillians getting in to it. Additionally, with our large Latino population, seems a large customer base is already in place. Someone should give one of these franchises a go.

Uh, Upstate, that's great but this thread has nothing to do with Pollo Tropical. It's a thread specifically about whether or not El Pollo Loco would/could make it here. I know they both have pollo in their names but they are two entirely different places. lol This is the place I'm referring to. Check it out and lemme know what you think. Thanks

http://www.elpolloloco.com/

I had tried El Pollo Loco out west a few times before the one on Haywood opened, so I was excited about it at the time. Now, because of that Haywood location, I will not be trying them again. They are officially and permanently on my 'list'.

Uh, Upstate, that's great but this thread has nothing to do with Pollo Tropical. It's a thread specifically about whether or not El Pollo Loco would/could make it here. I know they both have pollo in their names but they are two entirely different places. lol This is the place I'm referring to. Check it out and lemme know what you think. Thanks

http://www.elpolloloco.com/

Wellen & Upstate,

Since I'm a newbie to the area could you both tell me what put you off at the Haywood location and how long were they open for? Every single one that we've been to in Cal. the food was delicious (fresh, grilled to order) and clean. Was that not the case here? I wouldn't go near Haywood anyway, I have other locations in mind. Also, what would it take to get you to try it again, i.e 2nd chance? I would hate to lose a potential customer due to past experiences. Thank you both.

Wellen & Upstate,

Since I'm a newbie to the area could you both tell me what put you off at the Haywood location and how long were they open for? Every single one that we've been to in Cal. the food was delicious (fresh, grilled to order) and clean. Was that not the case here? I wouldn't go near Haywood anyway, I have other locations in mind. Also, what would it take to get you to try it again, i.e 2nd chance? I would hate to lose a potential customer due to past experiences. Thank you both.

Sonrise, I was throwing Pollo Tropical out as it was mentioned earlier in this thread and is the exact same type of restaurant. I've tried El Pollo Loco when I've been out West and was not as impressed as I have been with Pollo Tropical. Maybe you want to look into options?

Now that someone has mentioned it, that was a big difference between El Pollo Loco and Pollo Tropical in Orlando - the service. In a market saturated with restaurants such as Orlando, service is a key, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with their demise there. I'm sure it was no different here. Also, at the time (several years ago), both El Pollo Loco and Pollo Tropical were essentially serving up a latin version of the same thing Boston Chicken (now known as Boston Market) was serving up...so there was even more competition within that very segment of the market realistically.

There's something that I don't see anywhere in our area - Boston Market.

Wellen & Upstate,

These must pre-date my arrival in Greenville. It's a shame they're not here anymore.

Getting back on topic for Sonrise though: My opinion (FWIW) is that Boston Market, Pollo Tropical, or El Pollo Loco could possibly become a serious QSR here. Given the fact that both Boston Market and El Pollo Loco have already tried and failed (and may still be in some people's memories), I'd maybe consider Pollo Tropical. It's got virtually the same food without any stigma being attached due to someone's possible previous bad experience with the former incarnation of the others.

These must pre-date my arrival in Greenville. It's a shame they're not here anymore.

Getting back on topic for Sonrise though: My opinion (FWIW) is that Boston Market, Pollo Tropical, or El Pollo Loco could possibly become a serious QSR here. Given the fact that both Boston Market and El Pollo Loco have already tried and failed (and may still be in some people's memories), I'd maybe consider Pollo Tropical. It's got virtually the same food without any stigma being attached due to someone's possible previous bad experience with the former incarnation of the others.

Archived