The University of Memphis

PCGrad02

How well would you rate the University of Memphis for Graduate Study? Do a great deal of students from out of state attend U of M? What are your overall feelings/perceptions of the U of M? Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on which area you would want to focus in. I know that the business school is decent. I really enjoyed the U of M, I went there for about half of my undergrad and one semester of grad school.

Compared to the other school I went to, MTSU in Middle Tennessee, I thought the University of Memphis was great! :P

It depends on which area you would want to focus in. I know that the business school is decent. I really enjoyed the U of M, I went there for about half of my undergrad and one semester of grad school.

Compared to the other school I went to, MTSU in Middle Tennessee, I thought the University of Memphis was great! :P

I attended the fogleman business school at U of M. I would rate it as a pretty good regional school. In the last 4-5 years they have made substantial investments in upgrading the facilities, recruiting faculty from nationally renowned schools (duke, penn state, georgia to name a few) and building strong ties with the industry. Although the school doesn't show up in national rankings yet but that might change in the years to come.

Majority of full-time students are from tennessee. I think the geographic location and a huge imbalance in in-state & out of state tuition could be the reasons. But there is good diversity in the part-time student population since most of them are working professionals from companies like FDX, IP, FHN, MDT etc.

In my opinion the overall perception would vary depending upon the context. Nationally, it may be neutral (it may not earn you extra stripes on the resume) but regionally it is good. And last but not the least I think it is great value for money.

Univ. of Memphis, UT, and Vanderbilt are the only Carnegie Level I universities in the state. Essentially, that means they are major research universities, so I would guess that the grad schools would at least be considered "acceptable" by some national standard, though I suppose it depends on what department.

I believe too that UofM has a higher graduate enrollment than undergraduate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived