Savannah Mall

cyclingundertheson

With the exception of the Bass pro shop, the Savannah Mall seems to be on a gradually dying out. I feel that with all of the new lifestyle centers and growth in pooler as well as the coastal area of Savannah, I feel that the Savannah Mall will eventually reach the same fate as Columbus Ga's Columbus Square Mall or Augusta Ga's Regency Mall. In Augusta once Evans began to grow (similar to Pooler in Savannah) and the main anchor JB Whites which is now Dillards moved to nearby Augusta Mall, The Mall died on off. (With The Bass Pro Shop being the main anchor for the Savannah Mall, Once they relocate to one of the new lifestyle centers either in Savannah or Pooler then just like Regency, The Savannah Mall will die.) At the rate the Savannah Mall is declining, It is only a matter of time before The Bass Pro Shop finds a more vibrant location. Target can survive without the mall and the traffic that shops there usually does not shop in the mall. Dillards draws traffic but one department store cannot keep the whole mall afloat. The two movie theaters behind the mall will feel the punch when the new 16 screen theater in Pooler opens. In Augusta Ga for example the Evans 14 opened and within a few months, The Theater in the mall closed and in 2000, The Regal 20 opened up in the Augusta Exchange that spring. By that Fall, The General Cinemas 10 closed up behind the mall. Unlike Regency, The Savannah Mall is a very pretty newer mall which is a shame to see go down but unless if someone steps in soon to turn the mall around, the Savannah Mall will be just another memory in the history of Savannah.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont think much is going to happen until abercorn is widened. i think then the fate of the mall will be decided. personally i think they need to either gut or rebuild part of it and put something other than shops in there like laser tag or a skating rink.

I get Savannah Mall and Oglethorpe Mall confused. Is Savannah Mall the one closer intown? Even if it did close Id imagine given its location it would quickly be redeveloped into a high end Lifestyle Center or mixed use development....something along those lines.

I really think after all this road work will get done in a few years, and truman will be thrown in closer to the home depot/lowes area .. Savannah mall will be alive agian .......we really need to get a Abercrombie back in town ...... its funny, a friend was like - yall have a Marc Jacobs store and no Abercrombie.... i was like :huh:

• 1 month later...

No its not reached the end of it's life, it will likely end up like that mall in Nashville with the TJ MAXX and Comp USA taking up much of the interior leaseable space. As an associate for Bass Pro I can assure you that we aren't moving and that the Savannah Mall store is adequate for what it needs.

Now I think the mall should be redeveloped like the Augusta Mall. Dillard's will probably move to one of the new malls in Pooler by the end of the decade and that its former location should be turned into a promenade of sorts. Augusta Mall has really landed some good stores. Savannah Mall could do it if they tried, really tried. They should have some help with the new Walmart being built atop the former shuttered store across the street. A Dick's Sporting Goods would be a good anchor for the mall and wouldn't hinder Bass Pro.

• 2 months later...

Archived