Columbia in the media

krazeeboi

There are a couple of different threads out there with references to Columbia in the media (beyond SC), but I just thought I'd create one thread for it, especially as the city's name continues to show up on national rankings and such.

I'll start if off with the ones I'm familar with. In just about all cases, Columbia is ranked the highest or second highest in the state.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I stumbled across a interesting article on msnbc.com talking about the growth the south has been experiencing. It onlys shows two cities in South Carolina that has experienced a sufficient amount of growth. Those two cities are Columbia and Charleston. I was suprised that Myrtle Beach didn't make the cut. Also what caught my eye it showed the Raliegh area as a whole had more people migrating there than Charlotte. It's a good article you can check it out for yourself. It's finally good to see cities in S.C. getting some out of state recognition. Here's the site MSNBC :shades:

• 1 month later...

I watched "Larry King Live" last night because on the previews he said he would be covering the North Carolina beach fire and I thought there might be some footage of Columbia. While the story was and is so unfortunate, my hunch about the footage was right on. They showed downtown Columbia looking up Gervais Street, showing everything from the Capitol Center to the SC Department of Education building and the Heritage. The cityscape looked very pictureque and happening. For the other interviewee's back drop they showed the capitol dome, Cornell arms, Claire Towers and Senate Plaza. Buildings were draped across hills and night lights were intense. Out of the millions of people who watch that show, there had to be some people saying, "Oh!! Wow, Columbia's a city. It had a modern, San Francisco-esque look to it. The interviews lasted a long time and the nation's eyes could feast on downtown Columbia for an extended period.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SC's record on Small Businesses has been great for a long time, but its good to know that reputation isn't changing. Also, please remember to include some commentary as to what links are about. We don't want to turn into one of those sites where people only post links! :)

• 5 weeks later...

I watched Hillary on "Meet the Press" this morning. The only shot they showed of Columbia was of the State House. It was shot just after the rain and it was wet, both the building and the walkway around it. It still looked elegant. I was hoping they would show a glimpse of the skyline, though.

Mayor Coble wants to change the inscription on Governor Tillman's statue in front of the state house. Tillman was a racist of the worst kind, and the statue does not reflect that. His reasoning is that it will help bring to light an accurate account of the history of this state.

I am posting this here because the issue may come up tomorrow when the MLK Day parade ends at the State House. Obama is in the parade. "Tillman

I will be attending the MLK Day march tomorrow and I am leaning towards the idea of removing the statue of Tillman entirely. Does anyone think there are statues of Hitler in Germany today? Tillman may not be quite the equivalent in terms of his actions, but he certainly was in terms of his views.

Mayor Coble wants to change the inscription on Governor Tillman's statue in front of the state house. Tillman was a racist of the worst kind, and the statue does not reflect that. His reasoning is that it will help bring to light an accurate account of the history of this state.

I am posting this here because the issue may come up tomorrow when the MLK Day parade ends at the State House. Obama is in the parade. "Tillman

I don't see why they'd simply change the plaque for Tillman. Why waste the money and not get rid of the statue all together? It seems like something that should go to the State Museum, or just be melted down. Is he really someone we want on a pedestal at the State House? Even if the plaque is accurate, it seems to me like you'd be saying: "this man represents hatred, and we like him for it".

I don't see why they'd simply change the plaque for Tillman. Why waste the money and not get rid of the statue all together? It seems like something that should go to the State Museum, or just be melted down. Is he really someone we want on a pedestal at the State House? Even if the plaque is accurate, it seems to me like you'd be saying: "this man represents hatred, and we like him for it".

Gville, I see you're a Clemson fan and I wholeheartedly agree with you about that Tillman's statue should be removed from the State House. I'm curious if you'd be in favor of renaming Tillman Hall at Clemson and Winthrop, too. I'm really not asking to be antagonistic, I'm curious how people at Clemson feel about that.

You know, now that we're talking about that Tillman statue, there are a lot of other things in Columbia that would have to be renamed, too. How does everyone feel about that? Naming streets and erecting statues should be reserved, IMO, for honoring good people. Do we rename Calhoun Street? I think John C. Calhoun was cut out of the same cloth as Tillman, but he was an American Vice President. Honestly, even George Washington was a slaveholder. We would have to rename Washington and Lady Streets, too. I'm starting to rethink this stuff, including the Tillman statue, because how do we decide where to draw the line? I hate to think of our city honoring such people, but can you right past wrongs by eliminating references to those that committed them?

Archived