Columbia in the media

krazeeboi

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article isn't dogging Columbia. Just like other stories that have been posted, Columbia is conveniently the "case study" of a separate story, which is Mark Sanford. He's making such a spectacle of himself to garner national attention its almost laughable... but its working, and stories like this prove it.

I know the article isn't an attack on Columbia or an effort to make Columbia sound like a desolate place. Nevertheless I emailed the writer, Amy Goldstein, and told her that the MSA's unemployment rate, which is a truer reflection of Columbia's current economic situation, is 8.5 percent, not 14%+. I told her I realize Mark Sanford and like-minded people's misguided mindset in relation to the pain people are going through was the theme of the article, but that her journalism exaggerated the poor state of Columbia's economy, which actually is in line with the nation's. Maybe she wants her readers to think the whole nation's unemployment rate is 14%+ if she was presenting Columbia's situation as representative of what's going on with the national economy.

• 2 weeks later...

Bizjournals.com recently released its rankings for quality of life in mid-sized metros (defined as MSAs with 250K-1 million residents). Columbia ranked 30th overall out of 124 metro areas and 5th in the South. For comparison purposes, Durham ranked 16th (first in the South), Charleston 35th, Winston-Salem 47th, Greenville 53rd, Greensboro 84th, and Augusta 85th. The rankings were based on factors such as population growth since 2000, average commute times, median household income, and percentage of all jobs that are classified as management or professional positions.

This is one of the very few Forbes rankings that I put some sort of stock in, probably because they've been doing it for some time now. This is pretty good for Columbia, especially considering that it ranked 56th in last year's list. The Big Three ranked in close proximity to each other (Charleston 27th, Greenville 46th), so that's not too bad for state's largest urban areas.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a notice/reminder that on Saturday, NPR's "Whadyaknow?" (What do you know?) will be broadcasting from the Koger Center. It's on every Saturday and this will be their first time in Columbia. The host has been advertising it daily. The show has a lot of local color. The host loves to ask members of the audience all about their city. Don't miss it. I don't know what time. I forget. But check out NPR and you'll hear about it.

For those of you who missed hearing radio talk show host/comedian Michael Feldman's Whad'YaKnow Saturday morning, it was priceless press for Columbia. He opened the show by saying it was his first time hosting the show in Columbia and "what a beautiful town, one you don't hear that much about. It's a beautiful city to visit - lots of water - you can paddle anywhere you want to go." Columbia and Richland County were cast as an enclave for Democrats while Lexington County was branded Republican. Next Saturday: Des Moines. It's a great show. It lasts three hours.

• 4 months later...

I'm starting to wonder if we really want these rankings for retirement havens. Remember that NYT article that said the Carolinas were becoming the new Florida? That scares me.

With what we're going through now, I seriously doubt that Columbia has any aspirations of being the next Fort Myers. Hopefully we realize that getting back to normal, economically speaking, can't be going back to the way things used to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's yet another list in which Columbia ranks favorably as a place to retire. This one comes from US News & World report. Columbia ranked 6th on its "America's Best Affordable Places to Retire" list.

Being attractive to retirees is great, but it would be even better if the city could position itself to be more attractive to young families.

• 5 months later...

Columbia ranks in the top 10 cities to retire in for rowers and scullers according to Rower's Almanac. It's kind of an obscure kudo, but it builds on the region's desire to attract outdoors enthusiasts and sportsmen. The almanac cited easy access to the rivers, the pedestrian-friendly downtown area, and an abundance of restaurants, among other things, as attractive aspects of Columbia as a rower's city. The methodology for selecting the cities is interesting.

http://www.thestate.com/2010/03/02/1182337/row-row-retire-columbia-top-spot.html

• 1 year later...

Once again, Money Magazine has listed Columbia as one of the 25 best places to retire on the 2011 list. Lots of college towns made the list.

In its September issue, Men's Health magazine has listed Columbia 12th out of 100 cities evaluated (and second in the Carolinas after Raleigh) on its most educated cities list. The methodology included tabulating the Department of Education's high-school graduation rates, along with U.S. Census figures on school enrollment (kindergarten through grad school) and education levels of people over 25 (less than high school, associate's or bachelor's degree, graduate or professional degree). Also, SimplyMap was tapped to find out how many households have student loans or take adult-education courses. Madison, WI ranked first overall.

• 8 months later...

Archived