Asheville Ice and Storage - Riverside Drive

zen

Anyone know of the future of the old Asheville Ice and Storage building on Riverside Drive? I've only heard hearsay. The barrels were supposed to be tested for hazmat, but after that, nothing...

411287072_2b1a99f067_o.jpg

it's amazing inside, though these inside photos were taken as a tresspasser.

414244770_1337d8aae1.jpg

414549724_ab2253f4ee.jpg

It also makes a great practice-place for graffiti artists! They're calling it the New American Artist Collective

460256444_6ae2c9096b_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an unusual and very gritty building. Looks kind of like it was built as a 1-story building, then expanded to 3 stories, and then a 4th story added on top afterwards.

I haven't heard anything at all about plans for this building. Is this the one that's south of Craven and north of the Haywood Street bridge? I wouldn't be too surprised if it was planned for eventual demolition: it's probably in the flood plain. It looks like it would be tough to come up with an adaptive reuse for a building like that, but I hope someone does, because the building is just so thoroughly different. Maybe some more artists' studios. Provided, of course, that the structure is sound.

There's another set of interesting, old (though far from abandoned) industrial buildings further up Riverside Drive, just past Craggy.

• 2 weeks later...

This project is in the NC Brownfields redevelopment program. Those barrels are from environmental borings (the soil cuttings are leftover soil samples pulled from the subsurface and the decon water is water used for decontaminating the equipment). Land O Sky Development is behind the redevelopment project. So it looks like something interesting is going on there with the property.

Archived