Downcity Living

cosmo1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. I can't offer much except sympathy, and best wishes that you get this sorted out. I think noise pollution is vastly under-addressed as a whole.

In college I had a professor who started Noise Free America, they seem to have a lot of information that might be useful to you: noisefree.org/

Good morning. Sorry to hear that the issue is still a problem.

You might want to e-mail Frank LaTorre at [email protected]. He is the Director of Public Space for the Downtown Improvement District and is involved with the Hospitality Resource Partnership. According to the mayor's January 12, 2007, press release.

Downtown Inprovement District is trying to address the impact of nightlife on residents through this partnership, so it's possible that Mr LaTorre might be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

The clubs and bars that have long dominated downtown Providence are now coming into conflict with the high-end residences that have sprung up in the last few years.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/Downtown...21.2a83f73.html

Some new condo owners are upset that their property, located above a bar, is noisy at night. Go figure.

maybe this has been covered in another thread, but how is downtown to remain a vibrant place when all these sourpusses are moving in and trying to sleep? remember when those condo owners made the yellowjackets clean the streets with a broom because leaf blowers were too loud? or when people living on the corner of atwells and weybosset forced AS220 to move it's stage for the Foo Fest last year? oy veh. these people...

"Darling, how is it that our fabulous new urban condo is so much louder than our old country home in Connecticut? This is HORRIFYING! Fetch me a martini!"

The clubs and bars that have long dominated downtown Providence are now coming into conflict with the high-end residences that have sprung up in the last few years.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/Downtown...21.2a83f73.html

Some new condo owners are upset that their property, located above a bar, is noisy at night. Go figure.

maybe this has been covered in another thread, but how is downtown to remain a vibrant place when all these sourpusses are moving in and trying to sleep? remember when those condo owners made the yellowjackets clean the streets with a broom because leaf blowers were too loud? or when people living on the corner of atwells and weybosset forced AS220 to move it's stage for the Foo Fest last year? oy veh. these people...

"Darling, how is it that our fabulous new urban condo is so much louder than our old country home in Connecticut? This is HORRIFYING! Fetch me a martini!"

I thought it was weird that "the city" was blamed in the article for mixing bars with upscale condos in the same building. Surely it's the responsibility of the developer to find the appropriate mix of tenants that keeps his high-paying buyers and lessees happy, right?

I thought it was weird that "the city" was blamed in the article for mixing bars with upscale condos in the same building. Surely it's the responsibility of the developer to find the appropriate mix of tenants that keeps his high-paying buyers and lesees happy, right?

the main part of that story is about murphy's, which moved into the cosmopolitan after many of the residents had already been living there. i've heard complaints before that murphy's was louder than expected. in my opinion, they have a right to complain. they didn't move in above a bar, a bar moved in below condos and didn't put in any sound proofing.

the people who move in above lupos or other bars/nightclubs don't really have as much of a right to complain, but the bars and night clubs should still be good neighbors.

i nearly killed myself walking down westminster on sunday because the sidewalks were covered with dry leaves and i almost slipped on them because the sidewalks were stone. had they been allowed to use leaf blowers, i'm sure the sidewalks would stay clean.

anyway, i think there's a certain give and take that's necessary. we need the people living downtown to help continue to move our city in a positive direction, but we also need the bars and nightlife. sure, people moving into a downtown area of a city should expect a certain amount of noise, but they shouldn't have to deal with it being extra loud, especially if a bar is allowed to move in after people are already living in a building. soundproofing should be required.

it seems like the problem in this article is between the condo residents and the condo assoc -- there's really nothing the city can or should do.

a more interesting question is what happens when these new downtown condo-owners complain about bars, clubs and restaurants that are perhaps on their block, but *not* in the same development. this is what worries me the most. will these rich transplants carry the political clout to deaden providence nightlife so they can all get a good nights sleep?

I volunteer at AS220 and was pretty upset when nearby condo residents threatened to call the cops on the Foo Fest last summer. AS220 offered to put up residents at a quiet hotel for the weekend, but they refused. At the last minute AS220 had to move their stage to the Washington St end of Empire, which caused all sorts of problems with the event.

I don't care what your condo costs, how can a few people justify exerting their will over the thousands of people who come to AS220's annual block party, or those who come downtown every night to eat, dance, and take in entertainments? How entitled can a person possibly get? I mean, who even wants to live in a downtown, anyway? These districts are designed for business and play, not for calm and sanctuary.

the folks above the new murphys were there before murphys, when there was a quiet piano bar called Pelham House there. i thought most condo associations voted to admit other owners/businesses, and wonder what happened here, because i'm sure the owners at Cosmo (btw, someone should find that poor guy's posts from three months ago) would not have wanted Murphy's there under any circumstances.

the folks above the new murphys were there before murphys, when there was a quiet piano bar called Pelham House there. i thought most condo associations voted to admit other owners/businesses, and wonder what happened here, because i'm sure the owners at Cosmo (btw, someone should find that poor guy's posts from three months ago) would not have wanted Murphy's there under any circumstances.

it seems like the problem in this article is between the condo residents and the condo assoc -- there's really nothing the city can or should do.

a more interesting question is what happens when these new downtown condo-owners complain about bars, clubs and restaurants that are perhaps on their block, but *not* in the same development. this is what worries me the most. will these rich transplants carry the political clout to deaden providence nightlife so they can all get a good nights sleep?

I volunteer at AS220 and was pretty upset when nearby condo residents threatened to call the cops on the Foo Fest last summer. AS220 offered to put up residents at a quiet hotel for the weekend, but they refused. At the last minute AS220 had to move their stage to the Washington St end of Empire, which caused all sorts of problems with the event.

I don't care what your condo costs, how can a few people justify exerting their will over the thousands of people who come to AS220's annual block party, or those who come downtown every night to eat, dance, and take in entertainments? How entitled can a person possibly get? I mean, who even wants to live in a downtown, anyway? These districts are designed for business and play, not for calm and sanctuary.

As stated, I agree in the vibrancy of downtown and welcome it. Everyone is entitled to the quiet enjoyment and sanctity of their home. It should be noise and odor free and does not require an upscale price tag - it is just a fact in what home should be whether it be urban or rural.

yes, everyone is entitled to that. however, not every home is created equal. if you choose to live in the downtown area of a vibrant city, you are choosing to live with the noise that goes along with it. i recently moved to federal hill about 2 blocks from the main public safety complex. i hear every fire truck, ambulance, and police car that goes by. i chose to live here knowing what i was living near. i am not going to ask them to turn off their sirens. i am not going to ask the restaurants on atwells to close early so that the cars stop driving by earlier. no, i accept that i live in a vibrant neighborhood and just deal with it.

do not take this to mean that you should just suck it up with murphy's, that's not what i'm saying. i am only saying that not every home is created equal when it comes to ambient noise, especially when that home is in such a dense area with lots of bars, restaurants, and activity in general.

I understand what you are saying - every home is not created equal however, in a perfect world, it would be nice to think so. The problem that you address is not with the noise from sirens from fire trucks, police cars, etc. The problem is that we were here first and were present with a vey untrue vision of what was going in the retail space. Everyone in the condominium association should have had a chance to vote on this but this was never addressed. A city is a collection of noises, electic people and various issues however this is more than anyone bargained for. The building at the time was a split between renters and owners. If a meeting had been held to determine what went into the retail space, the outcome might have been different. Also, we were presented with a fallacious picture of what was to be. How can solutions be met when the owner of Murphy's states that we should move up or move out. This is not a solution. The condo association,the restaurant and residents need to formulate a solution and uphold the condomium documents which has not been done.

I understand what you are saying - every home is not created equal however, in a perfect world, it would be nice to think so. The problem that you address is not with the noise from sirens from fire trucks, police cars, etc. The problem is that we were here first and were present with a vey untrue vision of what was going in the retail space. Everyone in the condominium association should have had a chance to vote on this but this was never addressed. A city is a collection of noises, electic people and various issues however this is more than anyone bargained for. The building at the time was a split between renters and owners. If a meeting had been held to determine what went into the retail space, the outcome might have been different. Also, we were presented with a fallacious picture of what was to be. How can solutions be met when the owner of Murphy's states that we should move up or move out. This is not a solution. The condo association,the restaurant and residents need to formulate a solution and uphold the condomium documents which has not been done.

Addendum - We have lived in Providence for 2 years before buying into the Cosmo so we are very familiar to the workings of a vibrant city which is what we are not objecting to. We want the quality of life to be retained as everyone is entitled to that. It comes down to being a good neighbor and working through the issues not telling someone to move up and out - that speaks volumes about the lack of cooperation. Before this article was printed, we appealed to the appropriate sources but there were no solutions. In hopes that this article will produce something positive, I will go forward.

I am also glad you cleared that up, it seems to me that cosmo1 has been beaten up enough and doesn't deserve the comments made on this site by uninformed readers and writers.

please note i never said this about your situation. your situation just plain sucks and i wholeheartedly agree with you in your case. everything else was said as a generality.

@ Cosmo1

I read the article today and felt you were cast in a less favorable light than the owner of Murphy's.

The incessant noise that you put up with on a regular basis, night-after-night is completely different from the periodic noises that you'd expect in any urban setting like police sirens, people walking by or even a street festival - really apples and oranges.

In addition to the noise, when you then add the food smells from the kitchen, cigarette smoke from the patrons smoking outside (and most likely talking loudly as well), I don't know how you managed to put up with it.

I live on Broadway and hear sirens, traffic and people fairly consistently, but for the most part, I don't really notice it. But the one thing I do notice is the low, rhythmic THUMP THUMP THUMP of my upstairs neighbor's sound system. Fortunately, a phone call or knock on the door takes care of the problem right away. Otherwise, it would get old real fast.

I wish you all the best and hope that this situation gets resolved soon.

Archived