Downcity Living

cosmo1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that high end residences can co-exist happily with restaurants and bars; and that these different uses and others NEED to co-exist happily in order for a downtown area to be successful. As Cosmo stated, the noise is coming from within the building, not from outside. I'm sure she understands that to have completely quiet surroundings, buying a condo in downtown Providence would not be a good choice. That's what Burriville is for. But when you spend that much money for a condo like this, you should expect a certain level of quality that would prevent the issues at hand. Maybe when the building was renovated, the owners did not anticipate a louder bar as the ground tenant, so they did not spend enough money on sound insulation.

The point here is that cosmo signed condo docs when she moved into this building and was then promised certain things such as soundproofing when Murphys went to move in. The condo docs were violated and the promises made to her as a resident of the condominium were not carried out, therefore, she is getting screwed. It's not like she moved to Camp Street and is complaining about the drugs, rims getting stolen, crackheads sitting on her front steps and crackheads screaming in her windows at night---all that has nothing to do with the condo association and everything to do with the neighborhood and a persons choice to move there (like mine!).

I go to Murphy's about once every two years and can easily go elsewhere that one night, so I really have no dog in this race. But I am concerned about setting precedent and ending up with a downtown that basically turns off at 11 PM to appease residents.

My gosh, I have been reading Cosmo1's views and everyone's point of view and I have to say that I am totally sympathetic to Cosmo1. I believe that the condo association should get together and resolve this issue immediately. When cosmo1 bought their unit, I am sure that it wasn't stipulated that if they spent several hundered thousands of dollars that they would get a bar that is open with music blaring and the smell of a discusting frylater that they would have bought that unit. Doesn't anyone get that. Forget about quiet enjoyment, does it make sense that your paying for an upscale condo and your pretty much saying you will live over a step up from McDonalds with music? I think at this point they would rather live above a McDonalds.

Yes, everyone deserves quiet enjoyment but let's help cosmo1 get to the real fact that the restaurant is not abiding by the condo documents. That is clear. My opinion, seek legal advice to see if you can withhold your condo fees. Can the association be fined for not making sure that the restaurant is abiding by the condo documents? Can Cosmo1 get some kind of restution from all this? hmmm...any suggestions? <_<

6']

My gosh, I have been reading Cosmo1's views and everyone's point of view and I have to say that I am totally sympathetic to Cosmo1. I believe that the condo association should get together and resolve this issue immediately. When cosmo1 bought their unit, I am sure that it wasn't stipulated that if they spent several hundered thousands of dollars that they would get a bar that is open with music blaring and the smell of a discusting frylater that they would have bought that unit. Doesn't anyone get that. Forget about quiet enjoyment, does it make sense that your paying for an upscale condo and your pretty much saying you will live over a step up from McDonalds with music? I think at this point they would rather live above a McDonalds.

Yes, everyone deserves quiet enjoyment but let's help cosmo1 get to the real fact that the restaurant is not abiding by the condo documents. That is clear. My opinion, seek legal advice to see if you can withhold your condo fees. Can the association be fined for not making sure that the restaurant is abiding by the condo documents? Can Cosmo1 get some kind of restution from all this? hmmm...any suggestions? <_<

Please do not make your platform, my platform as you do not have all the facts and issues. It is simple soundproofing and odor prooofing would resolve everything. I was here first and did not create these issues therefore, this should fall on the occupant that created these issues. That is all I have to say. Cosmo 1 :ermm:

• 1 month later...

One of my main issues is that that the city/state needs to start implementing pedestrian safety laws and having police actually enforce them, instead of being part of the problem. These suburban people drive like a**holes. No one stops at red lights, stop signs, etc. You can be in a crosswalk and have the right of way and people will still try to go out of their way to hit you. In Boston and NYC you have your time to walk while the crosswalk light blinks and THEN you'd better be out of the street. Here, it doesn't matter either way. RI is very odd.

"People in RI" don't seem to understand why people walk :scared:

Speaking of walking, when is Providence going to connect Point A to Point B with a SIDEWALK.

• 4 weeks later...

It's time for a "GOOD"!

What a great night in the city! Snow is falling and the streets are hopping! The venues are busy and you can smell the restaurants on every city block! You walk out of your building and you think am I in NYC?

Keep it up Providence! :good:

• 3 months later...

I know it's been a while since there was discussion on this topic, but I just came across this product and this discussion came to mind. This is a product/method for reducing noise transmission through walls, floors, and ceilings.

I don't know what the cost is, and of course, this is a method to be installed behind wallboard and under floors, but at least it is an example of noise reduction technology.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I live downtown, I'm starting to realize that it's nothing more than dead streets, a bunch of ignorant welfare earners, bums at ANY time of the day and really poor city services. WHERE are all the people that are living in nice apartments and condo's??? Where is anyone??? What is this?

Now that I live downtown, I'm starting to realize that it's nothing more than dead streets, a bunch of ignorant welfare earners, bums at ANY time of the day and really poor city services. WHERE are all the people that are living in nice apartments and condo's??? Where is anyone??? What is this?

That sounds rather cynical. Now I am not the best person to post because I no longer live downtown, or in Providence for that matter, but I don't totally agree with you OR dismiss your greivances altogether.

Living in downtown Providence, when I did (2005-2007) was very paradoxical. It was both incredibly stimulating and particularly frustrating. The abandonded streets you mention are beautiful, and have so much potential. There was nothing more exhilirating than seeing them come alive, which happened not as often as it needed to but more than one would expect. The people, yes--some aggressive loiters, lines outside of social security, prisoners on furlough with nothing but a RIPTA pass. But also some interesting, brilliant people from all over the globe exploring what I was exploring on any given day. There is a sense of the raw and undiscovered, a well kept secret, that can be very appealing.

I now live in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in one of the most expensive cities in America. It is very easy to see and meet like minded people, to be entranced by the constant pulsing thrum of the 24 hour urbanism. But rarely do I happen upon something undiscovered or unexpected. In those ways I miss downtown Providence. There is a very long way to go there, but no shortage of potential. I believe that as the 21st century wears on, with energy becoming more expensive and small, walkable cities becoming more desirable and realistic, Providence will be will be positioned. The mostly suburban legistative powerbrokers could well bankrupt the state before its chance to shine. But let's stay on the side of optimism today...

while i don't live downcity, i'm only a 5 min walk up the hill. i have been down there at very random times (early afternoon, mid-day, late night, weekend, weekday, etc) recently and while i haven't noticed residents (because i haven't seen people going in and out of the residential entrances), i haven't seen this dearth of people that you describe either. i almost always see a bunch of people wandering around. it might not look like times square, but it's not completely deserted either. right now is also kind of a dead time of the year. the college students just left, and the people coming in for the summer (starting leases on june 1) haven't arrived yet. i think it'll pick up come mid-june.

Don't get me wrong, I love Providence and I keep giving it more chances. I LOVE it when the streets are busy. Sadly, the streets are the busiest as people leave work to go to their cars and get the hell out. BUT, when there is a higher percentage of seeing aggressive loiters, lines outside of social security, prisoners on furlough with nothing but a RIPTA pass the streets at any given time AND people waiting for court, it gets a bit frustrating. 6AM in the morning I can be jogging WITH my ipod on and have at least 3 people approach me for money. Are they stupid! 1. I have an ipod on! and 2. I'm running! Duh. What I'm saying is that I NEVER see any of the people migrating through downtown that actually live here. It's always the opposite (the higher percentage). I can walk down Westminster at 7pm and it will be me and a bum. I can walk down Weybosset at 7pm and it will be me and 3 bums. I can walk down Washington Street and it will be me and all bums. Are people that are living downtown getting in their cars and going elsewhere?

I STOPPED driving to focus my attention and energy on EVERYTHING located downtown.

My main focus of this conversation (minus my frustrations) is that I'd like to know WHERE the people are that live here. I rarely see anyone...

Archived