Downcity Living

cosmo1

I will concede, however, that the Jewelry District COULD be a quasi-residential success.. Its set apart from the commercial core, has a lot of low slung buildings and has a totally possible residential feel to it.. And since that is considered downtown, I have to say that..

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have one more snarky, borderline hateful comment to make and TheAnk DownCity Diatribe will all be over..

"sounds like a true RI'er at heart" is by far one of the biggest insults that could be levied on TheAnk.. I'm not from here, not born here, I travel longer than 18 minutes and further than 15 miles every single day, I rarely get a Del's lemonade and I have never been to any sporting event for a Triple A franchise.. I know that Massachusetts and Connecticut really are better than Rhode Island, AND its not a conspiracy.. I know, I have ventured out of the city-state and experienced these things first hand..

(I will concede, however.. That hot weiners and coffee milk have sunk their evil addictive fangs into me, and for that, I will accept a partial dose of being a RI'er..)

I like/love the city, but frequently can't stand the people.. I think that PVD has some of the most ignorant, uneducated, criminal minded people on the planet.. No one in here of course, you are the exceptions to the rule.. And the best part, they are PROUD OF IT.. Even those who are not criminals are proud of being associated with those that are, by location..

"sounds like a true RI'er at heart" is a-hole speak for you are an ignorant moron and not educated enough for discussion..

So please, save it.. Look down your nose somewhere else..

It's not about how you start. It's how you finish. It's not easy to turnaround 50 years of urban decline. I believe that commercial and residential can co-exist because they co-existed for years prior to the post-war, suburban development paradigm. The change might not be happening as fast as we would like, but the fact that it is happening at all gives me the "audacity" of hope to expect that things will get better to where downcity can exude the vibrancy and livability that will be attractive to current and future residents of the city.

Also, I rarely do this, but I apologize to the UP'ers for getting heated about being called ignorant (ignant) by bod.. Good for you, you got under my skin..

Bud Light Presents: Real Men Of Genius

(real men of genius)

Today we solute you, Mr. Get Under The Skin of TheAnk-er..

(Mr. Get Under The Skin of TheAnk-er..)

It's not about how you start. It's how you finish. It's not easy to turnaround 50 years of urban decline. I believe that commercial and residential can co-exist because they co-existed for years prior to the post-war, suburban development paradigm. The change might not be happening as fast as we would like, but the fact that it is happening at all gives me the "audacity" of hope to expect that things will get better to where downcity can exude the vibrancy and livability that will be attractive to current and future residents of the city.

Also, I rarely do this, but I apologize to the UP'ers for getting heated about being called ignorant (ignant) by bod.. Good for you, you got under my skin..

Bud Light Presents: Real Men Of Genius

(real men of genius)

Today we solute you, Mr. Get Under The Skin of TheAnk-er..

(Mr. Get Under The Skin of TheAnk-er..)

...which is precisely why I'm trying to stick around here, instead of making that cheesy move to portland or seattle that everyone else is making right now. I'm convinced there's something really great going on here, regardless of the assholes. As for the claims that downtown is nothing but ghetto, I'm sorry, but that's completely ridiculous. I see all kinds of people down there all the time, and for that matter I spend time walking around there just for its feel and energy. Many places claim to have it, or claim to be drawing it, but in Providence it's blunt and honest, and that's what matters. That's what'll carry us through things.

Assholes can only live so long, they'll eliminate themselves by attrition.

FYI i made the PDX move 16 years ago, ahead of my time as per usual. And honestly, do you really believe that at some point, PVD will be rid of assholes? That they'll die off and be replaced by cool people? I do not think the world, certainly not Providence, works that way. There will always be assholes, and nay-sayers and people who try to tear you down. To assume otherwise is just magical thinking. I think the key is to ensure that those people relinquish the hold they have on a place. Stop voting them in, don't frequent their businesses, etc. Lead By Example...

ok. now I know you're bullcrapting me. :) Moving to Portland in the 80s-90s was the 2000s equivalent of moving to Austin Texas or Brooklyn, NY. It was totally the thing to do if you were looking to leave the east coast. It was still affordable, the weather was great, and there were lots of jobs and practically a 4 day work week. That isn't Portland now. Well, the weather thing is still the same, i guess.

Archived