Greenville Commuter Rail?

Spartan

Its kinda late, and I'm kinda tired, so I'll go through and summarize the article later. Basicly in as few words as possible it talks about the future high speed rail corridor, and then the issues with commuter rail in Greenville. Very good read.

Planners hear train coming to Greenville.

The car is king in Greenville, but one day trains may carry people around the county and to points beyond.

A county-funded organization has secured an 11-mile stretch of railroad that could be among the first steps, and studies are being prepared that eventually could bring a separate high-speed rail through the Upstate connecting Atlanta and Charlotte.

"The thing is we have to start now to develop a system that eventually will alleviate congestion," said Glennith Johnson, deputy director of mass transit with the South Carolina Department of Transportation.

With traffic congestion and growing air pollution, the time is long overdue to think about such alternatives to highways, said Pat Haskell-Robinson, secretary of the Greenville County Economic Development Corp., which spent $1.3 million in county money for a track stretching from the Peace Center to Travelers Rest.

"I don't know why there's no sense of urgency," she said.

The Environmental Protection Agency declared the Greenville area this spring to be in "nonattainment" of clean air standards and gave officials until 2007 to come up with a plan for dealing with it.

The majority of nitrous oxide produced

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

An unoffical update: I was in Greenville tonight for the Independence Day festivities and I was approached by a survey person who asked me several questions about Greenville having a trolley and if I would use it, and if I would support other methods of mass transit (as in other than buses). I said yes, of course.

• 11 months later...

I was reading some old posts and came across this. It has been a year since the last post in this thread, and I am wondering if any progress has been made.

I really like the idea of high-speed rail in Greenville, or at least a trolley system. I know we don't really need it yet, and perhaps it isn't something that would happen for 10-20 years, but I think planning for it now and taking steps toward implementing mass transit will pay huge dividends later. What I think a lot of people don't realize is that building stations not only helps congestion at existing high-traffic areas, but also encourages growth at others. For example, an obvious line would run from Furman University to downtown Greenville. Stations built between the two would obviously include Cherrydale, but also other areas that are in serious need of revitalization. Over time, the areas in-between would experience growth as a result of the traffic passing by each day.

Someone on the Columbia board created a map of his own proposed public transportation rail line in Columbia. Has anyone on here done that sort of thing for Greenville? If so, I would love to see it. If not, perhaps someone with graphic design skills can create one. :D Then we can add and modify based on discussions.

Potential stations I can think of are BMW, GSP, Michelin, ICAR, Gateway/Bi-Lo Center, RiverPlace/Peace Center, West End/Ballpark, Furman University, Cherrydale, Downtown Airport/Palmetto Expo Center, Heritage Green, Haywood, and a couple of stops along Woodruff's shopping area. I am sure there are more, and eventually there would need to be commuter stations as well. I also know that there has been talk of a rail line from Clemson University to downtown Greenville. That would be awesome.

Perhaps this is just a pipe dream of mine, but I hope others would also love to see this sort of thing - not only because it grows our city and makes it more "urban," but also because it makes sense environmentally and from a traffic management standpoint. I would like to generate some discussion on this, and hope everyone will provide their input. Perhaps one day it will become a fixture at the top! B)

I was reading some old posts and came across this.  It has been a year since the last post in this thread, and I am wondering if any progress has been made.

I really like the idea of high-speed rail in Greenville, or at least a trolley system.  I know we don't really need it yet, and perhaps it isn't something that would happen for 10-20 years, but I think planning for it now and taking steps toward implementing mass transit will pay huge dividends later.  What I think a lot of people don't realize is that building stations not only helps congestion at existing high-traffic areas, but also encourages growth at others.  For example, an obvious line would run from Furman University to downtown Greenville.  Stations built between the two would obviously include Cherrydale, but also other areas that are in serious need of revitalization.  Over time, the areas in-between would experience growth as a result of the traffic passing by each day.

Someone on the Columbia board created a map of his own proposed public transportation rail line in Columbia.  Has anyone on here done that sort of thing for Greenville?  If so, I would love to see it.  If not, perhaps someone with graphic design skills can create one.  :D  Then we can add and modify based on discussions.

Potential stations I can think of are BMW, GSP, Michelin, ICAR, Gateway/Bi-Lo Center, RiverPlace/Peace Center, West End/Ballpark, Furman University, Cherrydale, Downtown Airport/Palmetto Expo Center, Heritage Green, Haywood, and a couple of stops along Woodruff's shopping area.  I am sure there are more, and eventually there would need to be commuter stations as well.  I also know that there has been talk of a rail line from Clemson University to downtown Greenville.  That would be awesome.

Perhaps this is just a pipe dream of mine, but I hope others would also love to see this sort of thing - not only because it grows our city and makes it more "urban," but also because it makes sense environmentally and from a traffic management standpoint.  I would like to generate some discussion on this, and hope everyone will provide their input.  Perhaps one day it will become a fixture at the top!  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I made a map like that when I did the others. I apparantly didn't post them. I had two possible solutions. The first is the more plausible one. It is built largely on existing rail, except the part thorugh downtown. The second one I like better, but is less likely. They were both made before the Verdae development was known, but a stop would aslo be included there. Not sure why I didnt include ICAR, but it should be there too.

Blue lines are above ground, and mostly on existing rail lines. Red would have to be underground. The loop on the southern end would have to be created from scratch.

Greenvile_Rail02.jpg

From North to South, stop include:

• N5- Travelers Rest

• N4- Furman

• N3- Berea

• N2- City View

• N/S1- West End/Downtown

• S2- Washington Heights

• S3- Pleasantburg Drive

• S4- Verdae

• S5- ICAR

• S6- Mauldin

The Mall Loop stops from North to South

• M1- Haywood Mall

• M2- Greenville Mall

• M3- Shops at Greenridge

-----------------

Alternate Plan:

Transferstation downtown with black square.

Greenvile_Rail01.jpg

North/South Line (Yellow) from North to South

• N4- Furman

• N3- Berea

• N2- City View

• AP Transfer Station/Downtown

• S2- Dunean/Welcome

Northeast line (Orange) from SW to Northeast

• NE1- Sans Souci

• NE2- Rutherford Rd & Pleasantburg Dr

• NE3- Taylors

• NE4- Greer

East/West Lines (Green) from East to west

• E3- Easley

• E2- Welcome

• AP Transfer Station/Downtown

• W2- Washington Heights

• W3- Pleasantburg Drive

• W4- Haywood Road

• W5- Greenville Mall

• W6- Shops at Greenridge (located in the wrong place)

Southeast line (Also Green) from Northwest to Southeast

• SE1- Verdae

• SE2- ICAR

• SE3- Mauldin

Downtown Loop (blue)

• Washington St.

• E. North/ BI-LO Center

The idea of using the line NS line along Rutherford is a great idea, but that is the active line between Charlotte and Atlanta. Which also means that that is the possibility of SEHSR coming along that corridor. I'm liking the first map I saw, because that uses ROW that is either non operational, or light operational. Plus, in regards to the article, we have to realize that rail is a more attractive option for the middle to upper-middle class, as opposed to buses. As far as I know, it strictly something to do with the mindset of rail is faster than bus. I remember that prior to Denver getting LRT, they had a diesel-electric "Sprinter" running for 3 months, and people had the chance to use it. I think that is what needs to happen in Greenville, and give the Golden Strip a chance to see what it would be like, not having to deal with traffic, and and have a shuttle between a stop at Haywood and the Mall and having a stop near the other shopping corridors. I think that if you give them a sample, they will bite and hopefully like what they see and experience.

It is never too early to begin planning for a commuter rail, either by train, by subway, or by monorail (similar to ATL's aiport).

Here are my thoughts for possible lines assuming the central point is downtown.

Northern Line

*Cherrydale

*Furman University

*Traveler's Rest

*Slater-Marietta

Northeastern Line

*Bob Jones University

*Taylors

*Greer

Golden Strip Line

*McAlister Square

*Verdae

*ICAR

*Mauldin

*Simpsonville

*Fountain Inn

East Line

*McAlister Square

*Palmetto Exposition Center

*Haywood

*Greenville Mall

*Woodruff Road

*Five Forks

West Line

*West Greenville/Woodside

*Easley

Any line going to Easley should probubly actually end in Seneca passing through Clemson. THe lines exists and Clemson Area Transit has been talking for years about a train to Greenville. I would continue to Seneca just so CLemson students could get to Seneca easily as well.

I know a lot of people who attend Clemson who would love the idea of paying a few bucks and riding to downtown Greenville on the weekend. I would have used it all the time when I was a student there! With Greenville growing, it will continue to become more of a desirable destination on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night for Clemson students.

It also makes a lot of sense for a group of students to not have to have a designated driver. Not that drunk driving is a huge problem, but it certainly presents a safe way for people to get around after a night of partying.

I know a lot of people who attend Clemson who would love the idea of paying a few bucks and riding to downtown Greenville on the weekend.  I would have used it all the time when I was a student there!  With Greenville growing, it will continue to become more of a desirable destination on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night for Clemson students.

It also makes a lot of sense for a group of students to not have to have a designated driver.  Not that drunk driving is a huge problem, but it certainly presents a safe way for people to get around after a night of partying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I graduated Clemson in 2003. Drunk driving is a HUGE problem there. THere just arn't enough people getting caught.

I know a lot of people who attend Clemson who would love the idea of paying a few bucks and riding to downtown Greenville on the weekend.  I would have used it all the time when I was a student there!  With Greenville growing, it will continue to become more of a desirable destination on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night for Clemson students.

It also makes a lot of sense for a group of students to not have to have a designated driver.  Not that drunk driving is a huge problem, but it certainly presents a safe way for people to get around after a night of partying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know I would use it if it were there.

I graduated Clemson in 2003.  Drunk driving is a HUGE problem there.  THere just arn't enough people getting caught.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, this is true with any college anywhere I think.

I think that if they could get enough additional buses or trollys to link people from the train station to the stadium. I think that a train to Clemson would be very highly used on gamedays by people from Greenville County wanting to go to the games but not wanting to deal with the traffic afterwards.

I think that if they could get enough additional buses or trollys to link people from the train station to the stadium.  I think that a train to Clemson would be very highly used on gamedays by people from Greenville County wanting to go to the games but not wanting to deal with the traffic afterwards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dinner at Overlook Grill...$40.00

Baseball Tickets for two...$16.00

Two beers, peanuts & a program...$11.75

Driving 1-1/2 miles to Five Forks to take the train into town...Priceless. :thumbsup:

Dinner at Overlook Grill...$40.00

Baseball Tickets for two...$16.00

Two beers, peanuts & a program...$11.75

Driving 1-1/2 miles to Five Forks to take the train into town...Priceless. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there was a misunderstanding here, I am referring to the Train Station in Clemon on HWY 93 and Death Valley as the Stadium. I was talking about a Train from Greenville to Clemson, and people using it to get to and from Clemson Football games. Sorry if I was unclear.

Ah but of course. :blush: Not being from the area, I foget the draw of Clemson football from time to time.

I was actually thinking back to when BoDragon propsed some rail lines and stops. This for me would be way cool. B)

East Line

*McAlister Square

*Palmetto Exposition Center

*Haywood

*Greenville Mall

*Woodruff Road

*Five Forks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that if they could get enough additional buses or trollys to link people from the train station to the stadium.  I think that a train to Clemson would be very highly used on gamedays by people from Greenville County wanting to go to the games but not wanting to deal with the traffic afterwards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was one of the very things pointed out in an article I read recently concerning traffic build-ups in the Upstate. :)

I definitely think that two of the main lines we need, and that would be addressed early on in the planning process, are from Clemson to Greenville (preferably downtown), and from GSP International Airport to downtown Greenville. I definitely think we need other lines to go around the city, but these two lines (call them "commuter" if you like) will serve to expand Greenville's influence and bring more people into the city.

Likely these lines would be on exsisting right of ways. The City already ownes one that runs along Laurens Rd and then crosses through Verdea and ICAR, that means Haywood Mall would probubly not be a stop but would have to have a bus or Trolly from the station to the Mall.

Also I think Clemson rather than a Spur would be on the Main Line becuase doens't the Amtrack line in Clemson already run directly to Greenville? So wouldn't this be the line used for that route?

I really like your proposed stations, BoDragon. I think you have included everything. Hopefully it will become a reality one day!

Brad Toy, you are correct that the Amtrak line from Clemson runs to Greenville. The only problem is that the station is not really that convenient to Clemson's campus (i.e., it is not that convenient for students, gameday fans, etc.). Despite that, a rail line making regular, low-cost runs between Clemson and Greenville would be an improvement.

I really like your proposed stations, BoDragon.  I think you have included everything.  Hopefully it will become a reality one day!

Brad Toy, you are correct that the Amtrak line from Clemson runs to Greenville.  The only problem is that the station is not really that convenient to Clemson's campus (i.e., it is not that convenient for students, gameday fans, etc.).  Despite that, a rail line making regular, low-cost runs between Clemson and Greenville would be an improvement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your right it is not convienent, but Clemson Area Transit has lots of buses that could run a route back and forth from stadium to train station. They don't run their regualr routes on gamedays do they? I know a few of the buses are used for Handicap but they could use the rest for this, or get even more buses or trollies.

Archived