U of R Stadium development?

Cowboy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When U of R moves to an on-campus stadium in 2009or 2010, what happens to the site of the current U or R Stadium?

I don't think anyone is sure what will happen exactly, but I'm sure lots of folks on this forum have some excellent ideas.

Is U of R determined to have its 10,000 seat stadium on campus? Maybe with all the recent palaver about a huge sports complex in Midtown they would consider taking over, paying for and enlarging Sports Backers Soccer stadium near the Diamond. They could lease it out between University football games to The Richmond Kickers and other groups that now use the field.

I bet a quarter it would please campus neighbors who must, in their hearts, dread the potential traffic the presently planned facility would generate. They already deal with crowds at Robins Center.

Cowboy, the old UofR Stadium probably would be developed with residential. Does the City still hold deed to the land?

If a new ballpark is built to replace The Diamond, it is rumored that VCU might like to take over the existing stadium for its sports programing.

Burt,

I'm pretty sure U of R not only has plans for the stadium on campus but has money in hand to build it. VCU is a partner in the Sportsbackers Stadium as their soccer, track, and perhaps other programs compete there. I don't think it is likely they (VCU and U of R) would share, particularly when it comes to athletics. As far as neighbors not wanting a stadium, is more traffic nearby on a few Saturdays a year really that much of a burden?

I've always thought the Kickers could play at an enlarged Sportsbackers Stadium...it's a much better venue overall than City Stadium. Unfortunately, if they move though, it'll probably be to a new location along 288.

The City Stadium property is prime real estate, but I'm not sure what's envisioned if/when U of R moves the football program to campus. Speaking of City Stadium, hopefully at least some of you are planning on attending the Kicker's Open Cup match against the L.A. Galaxy. I'll be there for sure!

Here is a link to a short thread on a Spiders fan site that discusses the issue. The first post contains a link to a RTD story on the subject.

http://www.richmond.rivals.com/showmsg.asp...099&style=2

They are locked into the on-campus option. Last I heard, they are looking at a 2009 completion date, with the possibility that it could extend into the 2010 season. The city is looking to get a developer to work up the abandoned property. Looks like they've caved in to the local blue-hairs and the stadium will only be built to a capacity of 9,000.

• 2 years later...

Major Construction at the new University of Richmond Robins Stadium is drawing to a end! This week contractors are testing all components of the stadium to see if they are working correctly! The Spiders will be leaving behind City Stadium in Carytown where they have been playing since 1929!

http://www2.timesdis...-210404/351583/

stadium.jpg

StadiumBackLowRes.jpg

http://construction....dium/index.html

• 4 weeks later...

"UR bringing football on campus in green stadium"

The University of Richmond Football Stadium is LEED certified.

“Robins Stadium was designed and built using the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) rating standards with a goal of earning their Silver Rating,” University Architect Andrew McBride said.

The stadium features no irrigation system and a reduction of water usage by 30 percent, optimizing energy performance over baseline by 14 percent and at least 20 percent of all materials used in the constructer were extracted, processed and manufactured within 500 miles of the building site. A full list of the implementations on the Robins Stadium project can be found on the website, robinsstadium.com.

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/index.php/news/article/ur-bringing-football-on-campus-in-green-stadium/256097/

Archived