Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paramaribo

Name Change

42 posts in this topic

I noticed a thread on the main forum called "Grand Rapids has a river?" or something to that effect.

Since the city's name and the concept it represents are disconnected, would a new name be in order?

If so, any ideas?

From a legal and logistical standpoint, a name change would do more harm than good. Think of all the businesses and residences that would have to go through the hustle of updating personal, social, contractual, and legal contacts.

I noticed a thread on the main forum called "Grand Rapids has a river?" or something to that effect.

Since the city's name and the concept it represents are disconnected, would a new name be in order?

If so, any ideas?

If so, any ideas?

renaming GR because it doesn't have a river thats got big rapids in it anymore would be like renaming cracker jack because theres no crackers in it.

OK, here it is. Name change:

764058890_9e5703b3f1.jpg

Ohh, wait. :unsure:

Artopolis.

Francesville.

West Vespa.

Scooterboro.

Theatretopia.

...any takers?

renaming GR because it doesn't have a river thats got big rapids in it anymore would be like renaming cracker jack because theres no crackers in it.

I think the name has been a misinterpretation. If I remember correctly, the name honors the city on the Grand, or what would be said as, "The City near The Grand's Rapids." People take the face value meaning as The City with Grand Rapids. That's about the best I can make of it. Even if there were rapids on the river, I'm sure it would be named Grand. Image comming down from valley hills and onto the bank and seeing this mighty river (that is indeed what it is).

To change the name of Grand Rapids would dishonor the history this city and area has built for 2,000 years. Hell, it might even be much cheaper and less burden on the city to just create artifical "grand" rapids to create this namesake.

Van Andelshire

Devosville

Meijerburg

Nah.... those top cats have got their names on enough local buildings and land marks. :rolleyes:

Artopolis.

Francesville.

West Vespa.

Scooterboro.

Theatretopia.

...any takers?

I think it would be fun it a town were named a person's name. Come in to town and see a big sign that says "Welcome to Steve"

How about West Michigan secedes from the rest of Michigan and form the 51st state.

How about West Michigan secedes from the rest of Michigan and form the 51st state.

Forget the 51st state! How about a province of Canada! I read in WSJ that the dollar will be equal value to the Canadian dollar very soon.

Someone emailed me this after the last election regarding joining Canada instead. Sorry to bring a whiff of politics to the discussion but the map is kind of funny.