Name Change

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a legal and logistical standpoint, a name change would do more harm than good. Think of all the businesses and residences that would have to go through the hustle of updating personal, social, contractual, and legal contacts.

I think the name has been a misinterpretation. If I remember correctly, the name honors the city on the Grand, or what would be said as, "The City near The Grand's Rapids." People take the face value meaning as The City with Grand Rapids. That's about the best I can make of it. Even if there were rapids on the river, I'm sure it would be named Grand. Image comming down from valley hills and onto the bank and seeing this mighty river (that is indeed what it is).

To change the name of Grand Rapids would dishonor the history this city and area has built for 2,000 years. Hell, it might even be much cheaper and less burden on the city to just create artifical "grand" rapids to create this namesake.

Archived