Name Change

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think GR itself is losing that stigma. The suburbs around the city I would incline to agree though.

Maybe GR should just incorporate itself as city-state like the Vatican or DC, that way we can lose the Michigan tag.

And if there is going to be a Jesus land I would have to say that green section would have to include West Michigan, or at least Ottawa County.

True. There is absolutely nothing wrong with upholding strong Christian believes. To think otherwise would be disrespectful. The problem lays in the fact that many outsiders view the GR area's conservative and religious heavy demographic in a somewhat negative light almost like Grand Rapidians have cooties in the eyes of a more liberal mindset. Personally I tend to lean a bit to the left when it comes to religion and politics. But in all the 20 years of living in GR I never really ran into the conservative vs. liberal conflict when engaged hot button topics. GR is not really as stuff shirt as first impressions suggests.

Not to start anything, but I don't think being a Chrristian city is a stigma. Although I agree sometimes people disguise some ignorant thinking and action by falsely calling it religious.

True. There is absolutely nothing wrong with upholding strong Christian believes. To think otherwise would be disrespectful. The problem lays in the fact that many outsiders view the GR area's conservative and religious heavy demographic in a somewhat negative light almost like Grand Rapidians have cooties in the eyes of a more liberal mindset. Personally I tend to lean a bit to the left when it comes to religion and politics. But in all the 20 years of living in GR I never really ran into the conservative vs. liberal conflict when engaged hot button topics. GR is not really as stuff shirt as first impressions suggests.

It would be interesting to come up with a name that is tied to local history and languages. For instance I believe an overwhelming majority of Grand Rapidians spoke French in the early days of the village. Maybe find a French word for something that describes Grand Rapids to a tee and add a -ton, -ville, or -burg.

We subscribe to this magazine made out somewhere on 52nd St. called: Baudville. I like that name.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived