Which Polish city is the most famous in the world?

AUTO

• 1 month later...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I think Warsaw, it is the Capital city after all.

But I'm afraid that to many Israelis (myself included), the first thing that comes into mind when hearing "Poland" are the Nazi extermination camps: Auschwitz-Birkenau, Helmno, Sobibor, Treblinka, Belzetz, etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I voted for Warsaw for a couple of reasons:

Warsaw is the capital. In addition, I'm one of the few that know that Cracow has more people than Warsaw, but I believe that Warsaw is the second largest city in Poland. I have heard of a couple more Polish cities, but it seems that whenever I or someone I know talks of Poland, Warsaw comes up the most.

I'd love to visit Poland one day because I'm 1/8th Polish.

I voted for Warschau, which is the capitol.

Did you know, when you drive from Germany to Warschau, there is no Interstate/Freeway

in between, and the whole trip takes hours and hours and hours for that short distance from the German Border to the Capitol of Poland.

The Only "Autobahn" in Poland is from "Frost" (German Border) to Breslau, and was built in the

1930'th

Some of the mentioned Names are wrong, because a lot of the cities are german cities, and some Territories of the "Poland" are just under Polish government, such as "Schlesien", "Pommern" and "Ostpreussen".

Gdańsk (Gdansk, Danzig) [ 2 ] [2.47%]

GERMAN TOWN with the Name Danzig

Gdynia [ 0 ] [0.00%]

NOT SURE

Katowice [ 0 ] [0.00%]

GERMAN TOWN with the Name Kattowitz

Krak

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes.. that is a big issue. One of my favorite professors wrote his dissertation on the evacuation of Germans from the eastern German territories when modern day Poland was created after WWII.

It's a story that is not often told, but it uprooted a lot of families from areas that they had lived in for generations simply because of politics. Then the Soviet government bled East Germany dry for 40 years despite being the best performing economy in the eastern bloc.

Archived