Steelcase to invest $17 Million in HQ campus renovations

GRDadof3

This has been circulating in the city commission meetings and didn't see it posted here.

Steelcase's $17 Million investment into their current HQ campus on 44th, most of which to their Learning Center in the East section of their campus, will include:

- Creating a more environmentally- and pedestrian-friendly campus

- Making major land improvements throughout the campus, to help better tie the corporate HQ with the Learning Center

- Interior and exterior renovations of the Learning Center, under LEED CI Certification

- Learning Center renovations will reduce water use, reduce energy use, and improve air quality

- 72 retained and new jobs at an average $36.00/hr ($72,000/year).

It's great to see Steelcase investing in the area again, and especially in their corporate areas. I think it may be their largest investment in the area since their Steelcase Wood Plant in 2001 :thumbsup:

761687201_fa6f76a491_b.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This has been circulating in the city commission meetings and didn't see it posted here.

Steelcase's $17 Million investment into their current HQ campus on 44th, most of which to their Learning Center in the East section of their campus, will include:

- Making major land improvements throughout the campus, to help better tie the corporate HQ with the Learning Center

- Interior and exterior renovations of the Learning Center, under LEED CI Certification

- Learning Center renovations will reduce water use, reduce energy use, and improve air quality

It's great to see Steelcase investing in the area again, and especially in their corporate areas. I think it may be their largest investment in the area since their Steelcase Wood Plant in 2001 :thumbsup:

This is a surprise to me. I thought the whole Steelcase complex was going to be sold off to a developer wanting to do office and retail there. Anyway I'm glad Steelcase is reinvesting in the area. That's obviously proves to be a good thing for immediate area.

This is a surprise to me. I thought the whole Steelcase complex was going to be sold off to a developer wanting to do office and retail there. Anyway I'm glad Steelcase is reinvesting in the area. That's obviously proves to be a good thing for immediate area.

It's not just the immediate area that will benefit. The key to success for any metropolitan area is to draw and retain corporate HQ jobs. Having Steelcase continue to maintain their corporate HQs here does a lot for our economy, tangibly and intangibly (through corporate giving and sponsorships). In addition, this renovation retains and adds not just service sector jobs, but highly sought after creative and knowledge workers. We just need more of it, but we'll take what we can get, even if it's on 44th Street.

Sorry mgman, but if anyone starts a topic simply to trash Michigan corporate HQ's just because they are suburban, it will be deleted. Let's give Michigan companies one more reason to relocate to another state. :wacko:

Impressive. The Learning Center was pretty hip and cool when I visited it about 6 years ago (and some nice art including an outdoor Chihuly piece). It is great to see them back in investment mode.

Also, Steelcase is a good anchor for that part of town. I wouldn't really want to see the vacuum left if they were to vacate as someone wanted above.

Joe

Archived