Natchez Pics

richyb83

Was able to snap a few shots in historic downtown Natchez. Wish I had the chance to take more pics but was running short on time later in the afternoon. (Esp. some shots of the bluff overlooking the river). Natchez elevation is about 200'ft. The skies were mostly overcast so the pics are not as bright as I would have hoped for.

I was impressed with the density along grids of one-way streets. Many storefronts are vacant. But there are some signs of revitalization.

natchez011qs2.jpg

The historic Natchez Eola Hotel, the city's tallest. Very nice on the inside, sorry no pics.

natchez007ar3.jpg

The back-side of the Eola

natchez006lj9.jpg

Impressive Church steeple belongs to the St. Mary Basilica built way back in 1840; built in the elaborate Gothic Revival style

natchez005am6.jpg

These powerlines are not attractive; to the far left it looks like hopefully the movie cinema will one day be open again??

I think this is Commerce Street??

natchez004gb9.jpg

The revitalized Convention Center/ Chamber of Commerce block; in the background construction on a new Country Inn Suites??; the Mississippi River bluff in the far background

natchez009nd0.jpg

natchez001sz7.jpg

natchez008kv9.jpg

I like the architecture along Main Street

natchez010hq6.jpg

natchez012fw2.jpg

natchez003jn3.jpg

Only pic taken on sunny Sunday

natchez013bh6.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These powerlines are not attractive; to the far left it looks like hopefully the movie cinema will one day be open again??

I think this is Commerce Street??

This is Comerce Street! The theater on the left is the old Ritz Theater. I think it is owned by a group of people who hope to restore it some day.

natchez004gb9.jpg

The revitalized Convention Center/ Chamber of Commerce block; in the background construction on a new Country Inn Suites??; the Mississippi River bluff in the far background

That's the new hotel- yes- a Country Inn & Suites. It does appear larger than I had originally imagined it would. The details will make all the difference in this building, which is why I'm rather pessimistic about it.

natchez009nd0.jpg

natchez001sz7.jpg

The Burn! A b&b.

natchez003jn3.jpg

Stanton Hall! We used to swim in the pool behind this great house! There's also a restaurant behind the mansion called the Carriage House- fried chicken, biscuits soaked in butter, tomato aspic etc. here. A real Natchez institution.

These pictures are a nice trip down memory lane for me. Thankd for posting Richy! :)

You are welcome Tom, I am glad these pics could bring you some memories :thumbsup: That's cool you grew up there and can remember all of that. Thanks for filling in the missing pieces and info. I like how downtown Natchez is square.

We stayed at the Burn B & B, sorry I did not mention that. And we will have to eat at the Carriage House one day too.

The Dunlieth was very nice with the giant columns around the house.

The Country Inn & Suites is going to be a fairly large hotel, I only got a piece of it in that shot, it goes a ways back.

• 2 weeks later...

Natchez has some really cool things going on. Great pics!

There's a neat contrast between the architecture of the east bank of the Mississippi in Natchez and 2 new buildings on the west bank in Vidalia. There's a couple of interesting buildings I wouldn't associate with Vidalia that have been built. Makes for an interesting distinction.

Archived