Block 11 Tower Progress

urbanvb

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The simple fact that they're now advertising though leads me to believe an official announcement is coming very soon.

Thats probably the best looking tower out of the TC.

This is a sad statement because it's so true. The thing isn't even in color yet. I wish CMSS would hurry up and update their website. This is one of their better designs and they need as many of these as they can get. :lol:

So what do you all think about it? It's pretty boxy but at least more interesting (I think) than the AH Tower. A little boring but yet in person it may be interesting. Street level looks pretty decent though.

Lots of glass, no cheap looking flat exterior wall panels, I"LL GLADLY TAKE IT ! BTW, speaking of cheap looking exterior panels, has anyone else noticed the fading / discolored exterior on the Hampton University / Tower One parking structure on the Blvd ? Originally, that was suppose to be built up 6 stories to be the "Hilton Garden Type" hotel. But as we know, that was moved to street level next door. I really hope the exteriors on the other structures hold up better than they are on that building. I look forward to seeing Tower Two.

Thought it'd be good to requote this to give everyone an idea of the timescale we're looking at.

I inquired as to the location of the new tower from and I was quite surprised. I will paste the response here:

The new tower will be built where the Beacon Building is situated (holy cow Batman! :yahoo: )

Construction can only begin once the Beacon has moved which will be

early next year. We expect construction to be underway by mid 2008.

We will also build a high rise office with retail in the large parking

lot (corner Constitution/Columbus). That will follow the beacon Bldg.

In the meantime we will build a 6 storey building, Two Columbus Center,

in the One Columbus Center parking lot, across from Barnes and Noble.

We should start construction of that building later this year.

So I guess the Pilot lot will be 20 storeys. I wonder how tall the building on this lot will be? The lot below is actually larger than the AH tower lot so it's footprint is going to be pretty big.

DSC01512.jpg

22 stories right? About the size of Wachovia?

:lol: Curious isn't it? I don't think the little tit for tat between Norfolk and Va. Beach will ever end. Honestly, if you remember your history, this is the lot that Va. Beach was trying to entice Trader to build on, but Trader chose Norfolk due to "traffic concerns". I wouldn't be surprised if this were the original design either. They must've finally found another tenant.

So what do you all think about it? It's pretty boxy but at least more interesting (I think) than the AH Tower. A little boring but yet in person it may be interesting. Street level looks pretty decent though.

It's a clean, modern design, which is nice. AH Tower has always looked like chaos to me: way too many styles fighting for attention at ground level. And every time I go there, it seems like they have added another college/business name to the bottom. From across the freeway on Mount Trashmore, AH is nice, but it is one of the worst looking buildings from the ground up I have ever seen.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I was searching around looking for information on the other tower which is supposed to be going up. Well it may be going up sooner than we thought. I checked on emporis.com. And noticed the building codes are different from The gateway Bank tower. My guess The tower two. which will be 20 stories will be going up the same time as the Aloft Hotel & residences at Gateway Bank Tower. Thats 3 buildings going up all at once. You can get more info on the Tower Two AKA Urban Market Tower at www.emporis.com

I was searching around looking for information on the other tower which is supposed to be going up. Well it may be going up sooner than we thought. I checked on emporis.com. And noticed the building codes are different from The gateway Bank tower. My guess The tower two. which will be 20 stories will be going up the same time as the Aloft Hotel & residences at Gateway Bank Tower. Thats 3 buildings going up all at once. You can get more info on the Tower Two AKA Urban Market Tower at www.emporis.com

What do you mean the building codes are different? If you are referring to building construction codes, those should be the same but if you mean 'status' or something like that then maybe...

I checked on emporis.com. And noticed the building codes are different from The gateway Bank tower. My guess The tower two. which will be 20 stories will be going up the same time as the Aloft Hotel & residences at Gateway Bank Tower. Thats 3 buildings going up all at once. You can get more info on the Tower Two AKA Urban Market Tower at

I am a bit confused... it seems to me like you are using the Gateway (until we get a new name) Tower and Tower II (Urban Market) interhcangeably; they were never supposed to go up at the same time, plus as of right now, there probably isn't enough demand to justify both being built at the same time... not to mention no bank found finance that much new construction right now...

As I can't get on the emporis.com site into the non-free section, I can not see what you are looking at... But it seems like some information being mixed up somewhere along the line...

Heck no, that is the same building that will eventually be built on the beacon lot. It isn't called gateway tower because they will no longer occupy the building.

If by "same building" you are referring to Urban Market tower, no, that is incorrect. Gateway Tower will no longer be called Gateway and it's new name, last I heard, isn't known yet since they aren't sure if the bank that bought them will want space there.

Urban Market Tower is supposed to be the third office building, which I think we used to call "Tower II," which is to be built behind the Cosmopolitan on the plot closest to Columbs and the cross street by the shopping center with B&N and Regal...

What im talking about is the Tower Two Aka Urban Market Tower will be built on Cosmo lot. It says on Emporis. Its been planned and Proposed and its 20 stories high. The Gateway Bank Tower is going to be 22 stories which will be built on The Virginian Pilot Lot and Aloft Hotel & residences will be 15 stories. ON block 9. which is the contruction yard with the little house. This is what it says. The site was updated on May 16, 2009. My only guess is they froze the Gateway project because Gateway Bank was bought out by Bank of Hampton Roads. so they are starting on the new tower on the cosmo lot. which has already been fully preleased and ready for construction. here is more information on emporis

Emporis Town Center Info

Urban Market Tower is supposed to be the third office building, which I think we used to call "Tower II," which is to be built behind the Cosmopolitan on the plot closest to Columbs and the cross street by the shopping center with B&N and Regal...

To be more concise, it will be built on the Columbus One surface lot. any how, any word on when any work on the urban market tower will begin (design, political ect) I would imagine ground breaking is a long way away, and should make parking a bit of a mess till the parking garage would be opened(maybe they should start with that).

We already have a thread for this tower Harry, which I will be merging this thread with shortly. Needless to say, if they're having trouble getting Gateway Tower off the ground, your conjecture that this one is breaking ground soon is optimistic to say the least.

Here is the most likely explanation harry:

Town Center and Associates were going to build Gateway Tower on the virginian pilot beacon lot. They moved them into the ground floor of the westin parking garage and were scheduled to demolish the building. Gateway was acquired by Hampton Roads Bankshares, the developers now have nobody to occupy the new building, so emporis changed the name from Gateway Tower to Tower Two(probably because it will be the 2nd office building). The City of Virginia Beach has told me that the office building on the beacon lot formally Gatway Tower will be 20 floors instead of 22. Urban Market Tower will be the last thing built in Town Center by TCA and Armada/Hoffler and is scheduled to be complete in 2015.

Well I understand now. Well hopefully Lightrail will be connected with town center by than. And the Citywalk Project. Last news I heard on that project was July 26, 2008. Has not even been a year yet.. What about columbus village being redeveloped. I keep hearing information on that.. They wanna turn Columbus Village into village like setting in the city. But modern.

Archived