Block 11 Tower Progress

urbanvb

The renderings, from the Pilot's website. Nothing too fancy, but good to see VBTC expanding. It could use 5-10 more stories IMO; I'm thinking 11 stories is no taller than the Bank of America building that's basically dwarfed by all the other buildings out there.

Looking at pics of TC now, I forget that the BoA building is still there, whereas I remember when it was just that and trees.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was way off. It's only 14 stories. :( We need to get the Westin some more company, it looks lonely. I like my skylines balanced, lol. Still very good news though, especially in this economy.

Wow, that is... a box. Hopefully the details look better but I doubt so with this economy. Also, block 11 is a massive area, is it really going to fill that area up, or is all the sidewalk going to cover a good portion?

Well, let me make two points. First, this in NOT Gateway tower, this is the block 11 tower. Don't know what happened to Gateway tower but that was to be located on block 2. I will move these comments into that thread later today. The second point I'd like to make is after reading the documents I'm estimating about 17 floors. That's ok and it will fill out TC but they better not put a spire on that thing :lol:. All their projects have grown in scope since intial announcement though and I wouldn't be surprised if this does too.

Is everyone else's text appearing in bold or is it just my computer? :huh:

My bad VDogg, I got too excited. I didn't even both to read the article. I was at work so I just ran on an assumption. You know what they say about people that assume...

Anyway, I'm not in love with the architecture of the building. Looks a little suburbanish, but the area needs more density before we can really be architectural critics. Glad Town Center is keeping it urban. Eventually when it builds itself out other parts of Pembroke will follow.

Well, talk about bittersweet. Clark Nexson will be the main tenant. As you recall they planned to have their headquarters in downtown Norfolk but Norfolk opted for that Cordish crap over HL development. I guess this is the end result. I absolutely hate seeing us canabalize jobs from a fellow city but I am optimistic that perhaps this will be the wake up call that makes Norfolk think big next time.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/09/norfolkbased-firm-would-anchor-va-beach-tower

So first they lose jobs by going with Waterside 3.0, and there's a chance the Beach could get a new arena and/or professional team (big-4, although the Admirals are a rumored possibility). Norfolk really shot themselves in the foot. The latter isn't really their fault, but the former could've absolutely been prevented. A severe lack of forward thinking here.

Well, talk about bittersweet. Clark Nexson will be the main tenant. As you recall they planned to have their headquarters in downtown Norfolk but Norfolk opted for that Cordish crap over HL development. I guess this is the end result. I absolutely hate seeing us canabalize jobs from a fellow city but I am optimistic that perhaps this will be the wake up call that makes Norfolk think big next time.

http://hamptonroads....-va-beach-tower

Norfolk Vice Mayor Anthony Burfoot said he was surprised and disappointed that Clark Nexsen could be leaving the city.

"Our goal is to retain businesses in the city of Norfolk, definitely not to lose businesses," he said.

I wish Burfoot was surprised and disappointed that he was voted out of office. He is really only about a certain group of residents in Norfolk only. I don't think he cares about the greater DT area, let alone greater Norfolk.

Cannabalizing or not, this is a big with for Va Beach. Clark Nexsens is a solid firm.

I do hope that if they are designing the builidng, they try for a more unique design though...? A little disappointed.

Watched the council meeting. It was pretty informative. Everyone was on board except moss and Desteph. Phase 4 is still planned and they explained their reasoning for going with phase 5 now which was sound. Next block to be developed after this one is block 9.

Phase 4 is still planned and they explained their reasoning for going with phase 5 now which was sound. Next block to be developed after this one is block 9.

What was the reasoning? And is phase 4/Gateway Tower/block 9 all the same? It's been so long...

This doesn't look like it is a full block building, it really only looks like a half block development, but I can't tell for sure.

My bad VDogg, I got too excited. I didn't even both to read the article. I was at work so I just ran on an assumption. You know what they say about people that assume...

Anyway, I'm not in love with the architecture of the building. Looks a little suburbanish, but the area needs more density before we can really be architectural critics. Glad Town Center is keeping it urban. Eventually when it builds itself out other parts of Pembroke will follow.

I will say the bold text made me laugh a little, anything over two stories is considered "urban" in Virginia Beach. The building looks like a typical urban midrise building. It will be a good addition to that urban area, and definitely a great sign that construction is beginning to start back up there.

• 3 weeks later...

Construction starts in February, can't wait to seeing pics of this one going up, hopefully it will be built on that block in a way that another tower or two could be built on the same block. Has anyone actually seen the plans for how it will be built on that block? Would love to see more info on this tower.

• 2 months later...

Archived