Block 11 Tower Progress

urbanvb

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a rendering...

924141.jpg

I'm not really impressed by it...too boxy and bland IMO. It's supposed to go on the parking lot across from the Bank of America Tower.

This building will only take up part of the block right?  So they will have the rest of the lot for a future building?  Which keep in mind, density over height.  Height always looks nice for skylines but density trumps when it comes to when you are in the urban area.  I would take a city full of 14 story towers over a city with a few 500footers and very little else.

Not sure on how much space it'll take, but I do agree with you on skyline and density. I was driving along 264 this week, and couldn't believe how much that area has progressed. From an angle, it really does look like its own little mini-downtown, esp. when you look at those smaller office buildings and apartments along Bonney Road.

This building will only take up part of the block right?  So they will have the rest of the lot for a future building?  Which keep in mind, density over height.  Height always looks nice for skylines but density trumps when it comes to when you are in the urban area.  I would take a city full of 14 story towers over a city with a few 500footers and very little else.

The tower will take up a portion of the block, but 5 story apartments will wrap around the rest of the block, featuring retail space along the ground floor.

The tower will take up a portion of the block, but 5 story apartments will wrap around the rest of the block, featuring retail space along the ground floor.

Well that is good sort of, kind of a waste for such a large block, but at least it will have retail along the ground floor which is really important for a healthy downtown.

I hope those big box buildings are redeveloped next because that could add 6 addition blocks to the downtown and would be a great space for a mix of 5-15 story mix use buildings.  For now I think the best thing will be baby steps for growing the downtown.  Though they are getting to the point where they could probably cut back on the amount of parking each building has seeing it seems like every building there has a garage.

• 3 weeks later...

Construction is well underway. Several test piles have already been driven and construction equipment is on site and working. Took some pics that I'll have to upload later when I get home. They must've started construction in January.

Looking at the building elevation it looks like this thing may top out at a little over 200ft, which isn't bad. I'm kinda guessing here cause it's really hard to make out the numbers but that's what it looks like to me. Maybe someone else can give it a try. I'm attaching the document, look at page 7.

20121212-PLN-CUR-12-towncenter-cup.pdf

Looking at the building elevation it looks like this thing may top out at a little over 200ft, which isn't bad. I'm kinda guessing here cause it's really hard to make out the numbers but that's what it looks like to me. Maybe someone else can give it a try. I'm attaching the document, look at page 7.

I cant see the number well but 200' seems reasonable for a 14 story building. I know beggers cant be choosers and im happy about the density, but I find the residential towers to look much more oceanfront and less town center.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think there's a typo. At 794,000 sq ft that building would be 40 stories minimum. Even accounting for the apartments, I'm not seeing how they got that number.

That is a pretty clear rendering. Wonder why they don't ever show those in the newspaper?

http://www.hracre.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/05b_Monticello_XL.jpg

The picture link above of The Wells Fargo Tower has a very close look to the Main St. Tower. I never thought about it until seeing this pic. With the tower on one corner ( similar light feature on top), wrap around apt, enclosed garage and the space left for a possible Va Symphony is reminiscent of the 2nd adjacent tower in the drawn renderings of the Pembroke SGA plan.

The architect happens to be the same as the Wells Fargo, 31st project, and Indigo 19. There's a likeness to the apt. architecture too.

You think?

I immediately thought of Wells Fargo the first time I saw the Block 11 concept. That's one of the reasons I'm not too big on it. I like that it's something else filling a growing "skyline", but hate that it's nearly a carbon copy of what's already up in Norfolk.

• 4 weeks later...

Drove by the site and from the looks of it they're going to have 2 tower cranes. The bases have already been placed on opposite sides of the lot. It'll be nice to see this start going vertical.

First construction in Town center since the Columbus 2 in 2008 if you count it.  Finally over the recession.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like they've increased the height by 2 floors. This actually took place back in March. Don't know why it wasn't reported.

TOWN CENTER

4. Approved Resolution to modify the Town Center Phase V Development Agreement. This resolution includes the Original Terms contained in the Development Agreement which was fully executed on November 30, 2012, and the recent Proposed Modifications by the developer. City Council adopted an ordinance approving these proposed modifications on February 26, 2013, and requested the Authority adopt a resolution approving the same modifications.

Increased Size of Improvements:

 Additional level of parking – new tower total 950 public parking spaces  Additional floor of office space – new tower total 213,000 sq. ft.

 Additional 23 apartment units – new tower total 290 units

 Additional 3,400 sq. ft. of retail space – new tower total 21,400 sq. ft.

Increased Investments:

 $2 million additional public investment – new total $21 million

 $14 million additional private investment – new total $84.4 million

Source of payment for public investment and modification to construction loan closing are also addressed within this documentation.

Archived