Block 11 Tower Progress

urbanvb

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.yesvirginiabeach.com/news-publications/Pages/Town-Center-Phase-V.aspx

vbgov.com has some different figures. it says 15 floors. Parking is the same, but retail shows 23,000 That's why is asked 15 or 17.

I know it's splitting hairs in the end. I'm not that anal that it matters to me personally. I'm just interested which is the accurate news on the project.

This was the original plan.

By Gabriella Souza

The Virginian-Pilot

September 11, 2012

VIRGINIA BEACH

Plans to potentially bring hundreds of more workers and residents into a new 14-story tower in bustling Town Center are advancing, years after another expansion project there fell victim to the faltering economy.

The City Council will hear tonight about the project, which would include 267 apartments; 18,000 square feet of retail space; 174,000 square feet of office space; and an 875-space public parking garage, according to city documents.

Compared to

City Council adopted an ordinance approving these proposed modifications on February 26, 2013

Additional level of parking – new tower total 950 public parking spaces  Additional floor of office space – new tower total 213,000 sq. ft.

14+2=16. The documents on the city website may be old or inaccurate.

Also, I believe they decided to go with the additional parking prior to adding the office space should be located in another of those documents from the same site you linked to which may account for the discrepancy. Perhaps they decided to submit both changes for approval at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=626949260667895&set=a.499944283368394.129889.426046594091497&type=1&theater

I found the facebook page of the contractor building this and other sites around Hampton Roads- 2th st. Oceanfront iFly project, Wainwright building, both Gadams projects in DT Norfolk, and more.  They have lots of pics and updates post!  Enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Speight-Marshall-Francis-PC/426046594091497

Still not the biggest fan of the design, but I do like it from this angle...

184147_578487978847357_591769675_n.jpg

Beggers cant be choosers, but that whole design is U G L Y... UGLY!

The apartments look like they belong at the oceanfront and the tower looks like a suburban office building stretched 14 floors. Im disappointed, but still glad to add the density.

Beggers cant be choosers, but that whole design is U G L Y... UGLY!

The apartments look like they belong at the oceanfront and the tower looks like a suburban office building stretched 14 floors. Im disappointed, but still glad to add the density.

Honestly, It's not that bad. It's very "Arlingtonish". I could definitely see a building like this in say D.C. or Rosslyn. It would be nice if they could spruce up the exterior a bit though. Color makes it look a bit drab. 

And a link to the live webcam showing construction:

http://oxblue.com/open/clarknexsen/towncentertower

Already starting on the 5th floor. They're cruisin' :)

Honestly, It's not that bad. It's very "Arlingtonish". I could definitely see a building like this in say D.C. or Rosslyn. It would be nice if they could spruce up the exterior a bit though. Color makes it look a bit drab. 

Already starting on the 5th floor. They're cruisin' :)

You know...I was in Maryland last week, and coming back, I drove through DC and Arlington. I noticed the "Rosslyn" area and its skyline, and now that you mention it, I could really see Town Center going for that look with a cluster of office towers. Like Rosslyn or Crystal City, it wouldn't be a "downtown" per se (despite Virginia Beach's insistence on calling it that), but it would create a really nice business presence for the city.

This makes three towers at TC, joining the Armada Hoffler and the Westin. I forget the Bank of America building from the mid-80s is even over there because it gets dwarfed. You add another 15-20 story tower there, and a cluster of buildings at the old HQ lot, and Town Center could definitely have a mini-Arlington look...

They are on the 7th floor now. I was down there for Ynot wed. and I passed it tonight.

There is a rendering next to Zushi's that makes the design look a lot better than what we normally see. The side walls of the tower (which we see in most of the renderings) is one color scheme and the interior front of the tower is segmented by a stainless steel-looking divider with a different color set of windows and trim. The crown adds another floor and half of height.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived