City Budget

DaiDreamer5

I didn't see a topic for this, but the new budget is out: http://www.talgov.com/dma/budget/fy08/fy08budget.cfm

Here is the article in the Tallahassee Democrat: http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../707100329/1010

The budget cut that depressed me the most is getting rid of Route 9. I ride that bus everyday and I always seem people on it. I realize that Route 1 is the same route just in a different direction, but :(

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see a topic for this, but the new budget is out: http://www.talgov.com/dma/budget/fy08/fy08budget.cfm

Here is the article in the Tallahassee Democrat: http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../707100329/1010

The budget cut that depressed me the most is getting rid of Route 9. I ride that bus everyday and I always seem people on it. I realize that Route 1 is the same route just in a different direction, but :(

Well Route 1 and 9 is basically the same route going in different directions. One or the other leaves every half hour. Cutting route nine means that a bus leaves once an hour to my home.

Acutally I'd give up route 9 if they just run route 1 at night and on Sundays.

• 5 months later...

In this discussion on budget cuts, a primary concern of mine is the lack of emphasis on city beautification.

I truly believe one of the key reasons Florida cities have done so well over the years sustaining growth and building up their local economies has to do with how beautiful they are. Beyond the beaches, most cities in South and Central Florida seem to have landscaping throughout, even at gas stations, beautiful palms, color, nicely manicured grasses that are edged at the pavement, uniform color standards, sign standards, and beautiful vistas. Honestly speaking, Tallahassee relies to heavily on mother nature to keep us beautiful, but this isn't enough.

On my way to work North on High Road I passed more litter than I've seen in quite a while. Trash was scattered around each business at the intersection of High and Tharpe. Debris blown from the trees made it even more difficult to appreciate Hartsfield Road. And I can't think of many yards, or businesses I passed that had any type of landscaping. Furthermore, the large black trash cans are becoming a problem when they are left out at the road.

The failure to fund or promote beautification projects will have a negative impact on our efforts to recruit new companies/jobs, high quality students to our universities and colleges, new residents and more in the coming year. Our quality of life is a very important concern of mine, and much of what I feel makes a person enjoy the community they reside in -- is the way is it presented to them. Tallahassee West side could really use some attention right now. There are a number of attractions on my side of town that we could exploit if it were more beautiful to bring people through. Mission San Luis, Tallahassee Museum, FSU Reservation are among those attractions.

FL you make some good and justified points about city beautification especially our litter problem here in town. I've complained about it several times before on UP on different threads.

Where I live a big culprit of the litter is the Leon Litterbugs. In the summer the trash in the 'hood dies down drastically. However the actual worst culprit of trash I notice is on garbage day. I'm not sure what the problem is: over-loaded residential trash cans, the way trash is picked up by the arm to dump it in the truck, lack of concern for spilled trash by the garbage men or no netting or way to seal a full garbage truck as it plows down the road? I can always tell when it's a trash day in the 'hood b/c the street always has some litter on it.

Anyone else notice this?

And if so, what could be done to improve that problem?

FL you make some good and justified points about city beautification especially our litter problem here in town. I've complained about it several times before on UP on different threads.

Where I live a big culprit of the litter is the Leon Litterbugs. In the summer the trash in the 'hood dies down drastically. However the actual worst culprit of trash I notice is on garbage day. I'm not sure what the problem is: over-loaded residential trash cans, the way trash is picked up by the arm to dump it in the truck, lack of concern for spilled trash by the garbage men or no netting or way to seal a full garbage truck as it plows down the road? I can always tell when it's a trash day in the 'hood b/c the street always has some litter on it.

Anyone else notice this?

And if so, what could be done to improve that problem?

Frankly, yes. People often move out into the country because they don't have any interest in community-based standards, preferring to make up their own minds about landscaping, etc, or the lack thereof. Or, in the case of areas like out 20, you get a lot of folks or are working poor. They don't have the time or the money to do any major beautification aside from trimming what little grass will grow in the sandy soil.

Ya know... areas with highway frontage. Especially Highway 20. Not only should that stretch be cleaned, but it could use some economic development. We're talking about a road that leads to some of Florida's most beautiful beaches. I think it's also a shame that it hasn't been widened in Leon County.

Frankly, that's a losing battle at this point. Maybe in 50 years, when all the good land's full. It's just such crappy, sandy soil out that way - doesn't grow much in the way of nice landscaping. It'd take a mint to beautify it. Plus, you think hippies fight against intrusion on their country property? Go on out 20 and tell some of those folks they need to "pretty it up." I've got cousins out there.

Archived