Georgia

augga706

What comes to mind when you think of GA? Confederate state, conservative, backwards small towns, the new york, or california of the south, just some examples. Even though ppl think ga is conservative there are alot of liberals, & the highest % of black ppl in one state two things ppl dont associate with conservative. I do feel that since califonia, texas, new mexico, arizona, nevada, are mostly populated with ppl of color hispanic, asian, or black. Ga will probably be next

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

North Georgia already has a VERY high percentage of Hispanics. Some towns like Gainesville, Cornelia, Dalton, etc. etc. are close to having more Hispanics than blacks. Diversity in all areas seems more prevelent in North Georgia as well. Im talking about outside of Atlantas metro counties too. Asian, specifically Vietnamese, have settled in NE Georgia opening Vietnamese Markets and Restaurants in some very small towns that probably 5-10 years ago had never had anything other than a Mom or Pop store.

The Middle Part of the state, from what i have seen, (Augusta and Macon) has the least percentages of Hispanics although there is a fairly decent sized Puerto Rican community in Augusta and a growing Mexican/Central American population in both Augusta and Macon.

Southern Georgia has a large and growing Latino population as well, mostly migrant workers, but not nearly as large as North Georgias permanant population that has been established for quite some time now.

Oh, also have to mention Augustas large Indian and Korean population. The Indian population probably a reflection of the huge medical community in Augusta and Korean population likely is high due to a military presence in Augusta.

• 5 months later...

By normal I mean smaller and generally less of the modern sprawly mess that Atlanta has become. With the exception of Atlanta, the rest of the cities in the South have a comparable city in terms of size not far away.

If you take Atlanta out of Georgia, then the state starts looking a lot more like South Carolina (about 4.5 million people, 3 or 4 major cities of approximately the same size- one of them a historic port city, all of the Old South stuff, lots of small rural towns, etc.). I view Atlanta as the anomaly in Georgia, not the other way around.

Archived